Another kid attacked by a lion

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Another kid attacked by a lion

Postby wawhitey » 02 02, 2023 •  [Post 1]

Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Another kid attacked by a lion

Postby Jhg » 02 02, 2023 •  [Post 2]

I don't know why you post these, but here are just three recent attacks on kids recently by dogs. If I were a parent I would be WAY more concerned about dogs than mountain lions.

686421AB-590C-43A0-B503-00098B4CF899.jpeg
686421AB-590C-43A0-B503-00098B4CF899.jpeg (107.95 KiB) Viewed 773 times

34DAFC6A-4E53-4BDE-80DD-2EF7F1C28657.jpeg
34DAFC6A-4E53-4BDE-80DD-2EF7F1C28657.jpeg (107.86 KiB) Viewed 773 times

691DCF87-3337-4D61-A67C-3F50AF0BAFD3.jpeg
691DCF87-3337-4D61-A67C-3F50AF0BAFD3.jpeg (59.46 KiB) Viewed 773 times

It took me about two seconds to find these attacks.
Jhg

Postby wawhitey » 02 02, 2023 •  [Post 3]

Thats a neat comparison. So if there were as many mountain lions in the country as there are domestic dogs, and they all lived in human populated areas, do you still think dog attacks would be more common? Cause thats what youre saying, dogs are more dangerous.
If my posting up a link about a wild animal attack somehow offends you, dont read it. You knew what the thread was about when you opened it.

There are about 90 million dogs in the united states, all of which live around and are habituated to people, so its pretty absurd to compare the number of dog attacks to lion attacks
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 02, 2023 •  [Post 4]

Unchecked, unregulated apex wild predators are not in the same ballpark as domestic dogs. The states that have banned most big cat hunting, particularly those who have banned hound hunting (arguably the most effective form of cat hunting) are experiencing more and more urban area encroachment and livestock, pet, and human attacks.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jhg » 02 03, 2023 •  [Post 5]

I can't buy into the fear. Its an old routine. Hate on cats bears and lions. Make every wild animal attack front and center until people think stepping off the porch for coffee is a high risk activity. Solution? Wipe out the populations to the point they are a non-factor. Method? Increase tag allocations. The hunter saves the day.

Any attack is in my view a tragedy. But wild animal attacks are very rare. It is not solely number of predators its also numbers of people in the woods. Hand in hand.

When we were doing our self guided wilderness trips and spending a lot of time in cat territory, showing the kids a different way to see the wild (not on tv) my wife and I were always very concerned and careful. I was especially was afraid and protective of the daughter, who had a habit of getting too far ahead. Not good.
Believe me, I take due diligence very seriously. What I will not do is get on board posting links that seem intended to rile up the myth that these attacks are happening all the time. The dog numbers are meant to contrast the level of important you attach to animal attacks vs dog attacks. You even argue a child being sent to the ER is not as significant by dog as if it was a lion because "there are about 90 million dogs..."

My problem with this thinking is it makes a case that we are under siege. And if it isn't predators then its liberals and gun control that might stop children getting killed at school. Crazy way to see life in my opinion.
Us vs them. Always.

I am pretty sure of being flamed for this opinion, but I have long believed that what will strip us of what we love most will be at our own hands because we could compromise or agree upon a balanced approach managing the "threat".

Your post does not offend me. It is your inability to post it and hear another's opinion regarding it. If you do not want another's opinion, which is what you seem to be saying in telling me to not read them, don't post.
Jhg

Postby Jhg » 02 03, 2023 •  [Post 6]

Anyway, not trying to make an enemy here. Only to state a point of view.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 02 03, 2023 •  [Post 7]

Cats are doing what cats do. There is plenty of evidence emerging now showing the rise in confrontations with cats, including attacks not just on children but grown adults as well, in states where running them with hounds has been outlawed. The vast majority of these happen in two states; Washington and California. An adult male was killed two summers ago here by a lion, and a young girl was almost killed last summer here. There has been more cat attacks in the last 5 years between these two states than the whole west coast in the decades leading up to it.

There is an ongoing study being conducted in NE Wasihngton and Northern Idaho to gain an understanding of how hazing with dogs affects mountain lion behavior. It's shown there to be a strong correlation, and that hazed cats spend very little time around humans, whereas un-hazed cats have very little fear.

I also agree that comparing wild predator attacks to domestic dog attacks is apples and unicorns. They aren't the same thing. They are equally devastating to the individuals involved, but the likelihood of a dog attack can't be matched simply because we as people spend so much time with and around them. Wild predator attacks have been extremely rare over the last 100 years of strict management. As that management has begun to change, they are becoming not so rare unfortunately.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 02 03, 2023 •  [Post 8]

Youseem to think, from my posting about the subject, that im fear mongering, and that i want to eradicate predators. Thats not the case. But conflicts are getting more common as predator numbers increase and prey numbers decrease. I think its worth talking about.
I dont hate them and i dont want them wiped out. I want them managed properly to the point that theyre not problematic.
This is me with one of the lions from the study 7mm mentioned. The coolest part about it was watching him wake up from his drug stupor and run off unharmed. Ive had plenty of opportunities to kill lions, bears, wolves outside of hunting seasons, but i dont do it, because as i said, i dont want them wiped out and really enjoy them being on the landscape. But our overabundance of predators here due to ballot box biology is definitely causing problems which need to be addressed. 69 lions killed in the tri county area in one year for attacks on pets and livestock is indicative of a problem. Were simply at the point where we have too few prey animals to support too many predators and as a result human conflicts are increasing.
Attachments
imagejpeg_0(4)_copy_600x800.jpg
imagejpeg_0(4)_copy_600x800.jpg (258.55 KiB) Viewed 745 times
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 02 19, 2023 •  [Post 9]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: The states that have banned most big cat hunting, particularly those who have banned hound hunting (arguably the most effective form of cat hunting) are experiencing more and more urban area encroachment and livestock, pet, and human attacks.

It is people who don't understand animal behavior. :shock:
Ive gone to a couple of the Grizzlie bear info meetings. The wack jobs think grizzlies ,lions and wolves are cute and cuddly . Tim Treadwells of the world.
Look at the non-scientific things some states ballot initiatives have done

Look at what some groups are doing,, the feel gooders still think moving grizzlies to Cascade National Park ,, And the lucky people want Colorado to have a northern wolf transplanted . Look at what Colorado did with the Lynx .

We have room for a population of apex animals , but not the kind of numbers some want to stack into an area
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H