Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Nordic people do laundry

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 1]

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How Nordic people do laundry

Postby saddlesore » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 2]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Tougher than me.

Must be computer generated. How could she even stay out there a few minutes with only that frilly blouse
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Ah, that is nothing. When I was a kid, it was so cold in the winter that I carried a stick with me to the outhouse. I did that to break off the frozen pee stream so I could walk back to the house. These younger Scandinavians have it too easy. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 12 03, 2022 •  [Post 4]

It was so cold winters where I was a kid we peed indoors into a bucket, then dumped it out the back door. Come spring warm up the frozen pee, held aloft in frozen suspension all winter, came down as yellow rain. We called "ice out"
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Those silly Iowa ladies,,,At least those Minnesota gals use soap when they wash clothes.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Jhg wrote:It was so cold winters where I was a kid we peed indoors into a bucket, then dumped it out the back door. Come spring warm up the frozen pee, held aloft in frozen suspension all winter, came down as yellow rain. We called "ice out"

I had that 10year old boy power stream going. I could chip concrete!

I was a Minnesota beaver trapper,,,, top that Swede !!! :oops: :lol: :o

Ok true story:
I had some very aggressive honey bees They produced a lot of honey . I moved them to my brothers place. The farmer left the nearest 10 rows of corn. He never did any field work too close to them. The bees had killed skunks coon and a white-tailed fawn.
I had to kill them One cold winter day.
I toppled the stack of hives. The bees swarmed out like a kids cartoon. But only made it 10 feet. The snow as carpeted with bees
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 04, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I have never trapped in Minnesota, but I have delt with -30 to -40* for extended periods. I am pleased to say I was intelligent enough to stay inside as much as possible.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote: I am pleased to say I was intelligent enough to stay inside as much as possible.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cant have any fun sitting on the couch at home!!!
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 9]

saddlesore wrote:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Tougher than me.

Must be computer generated. How could she even stay out there a few minutes with only that frilly blouse

She’s so hot it probably didn’t phase her. I’m surprised the snow didn’t melt for 10 feet in every direction from her! Lol :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I don't think people that have not experienced -30* - -40* understand what it is like. Nobody goes out and stays out for fun. Only essential things are taken care of and those out are completely prepared to survive the cold. The cold hits instantly you on the face like a slap.
The stock gets fed, and people go to their businesses where they have few customers. Most just stay home and feed their wood stove. The ranger orders no one to go out. The loggers do not go out but leave their equipment running 24/7. Our cars are plugged in to electric outlets keep the engines warm, but the battery has very little strength. Nobody stayed out for long.
If you walk within two feet of an outside wall in your house, you feel the cold. You shut the doors to rooms that do not require heat and sleep in the living room. You leave the water running constantly. Houses get burned down because the residents are firing their stoves to the absolute max 24/7.
You can go out at 0* F and do a lot of work or have fun if you are prepared for it. At -40 you just survive.

Never mind the Scandanavian women. Swedish girls are so hot they generate their own heat. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 11]

You need a new house! We hit those temps once in a while and hit -25 every year. Nothing changes with my house, it is as toasty as ever. Never heard of anyone closing off rooms or sleeping in the living room though. I agree you don't do much outside. I went ice fishing when it was -42F one time. It was fine, just had to make sure the snowmobile would start when you wanted to leave!

Most of time here, when it is that cold, the wind doesn't blow. I will take -30 and calm over -20 and windy any day. Last weekend, it was -5 and super windy. Pheasant hunting was a bit tricky due to the hands and face getting cold. Feet were fine with uninsulated boots though.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I agree Tigger. Our house and many others back in the 70s & 80s were built with 2X4 studs. It was insulated well for the times. We had a foot on insulation in the attic and the walls were filled with insulation. Still the single pane windows, with a fasten-on glass pane, frosted over on the inside of the house, and we kept the cabinet doors open under the sinks. Fun times.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Swede don’t worry… those chicks are causing global warming so pretty soon you’ll be able to leave the doors open year round. I wonder if they’re attracted to old elk hunters?
Attachments
A9E69529-C974-4EC6-A042-C481C98BD3E7.jpeg
A9E69529-C974-4EC6-A042-C481C98BD3E7.jpeg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I found one that was attracted to an incurable hunter. That is enough.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 15]

I remember back in the 50's when Mom would hang blankets up to block off all the unnecessary rooms in the house just so that old coal stove could keep the living room warm. Grandma kept a porcelain pot under the bed because those middle of the night trips to the outhouse were brutal.

One time it got down to -53. I had my old pickup plugged in and after some time, it finally started up. But when I put it in reverse, it wouldn't move because the dog gone rear end was froze up. I had a heck of a time getting it to move. A few days later the temperature got up to 0. When I drove by the school, the girl's gym class was running around outside in their gym shorts. It is amazing how warm 0 can feel after it has been 53 below. All true stories!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Skol
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Indian Summer » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Minus 53! Yikes. I’ve never experienced anything even close.
Indian Summer

Postby Swede » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Indian Summer wrote:Minus 53! Yikes. I’ve never experienced anything even close.

Me either, but I can vouch for the fact it seems balmy at zero when it warms back up from -40*F. I was in Tucson one Christmas/New Year after coming south from very cold and was out in shirt sleeves. I thought nothing of it until someone commented on how odd it was to see someone out without a coat or jacket on.
Swede