Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is it about?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is it about?

Postby Tom Grates » 11 30, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I have had this discussion with many ppl through the years, is it about tagging (yes, that is the goal). Is it about the experience? Really, none of us set out to say, hey, at least I had a good time.
This week I had the opportunity to spend time with my son, wich I have not done for a year. We hunted hard, are well, .and slept sound.
Yesterday he connected with an awesome half rack whitetail. Today he had to drive back to Virginia.
I contacted with a decent 8 today, and got a chance to reflect.
Yeah, it is about the experience.
I hope all of you have the chance to experience my week that I just had.
You will then understand how I cannot put it into words.
Tom Grates

Re: What is it about?

Postby 7mmfan » 12 01, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I'm on the other end of that combination. For quite a few years in my 20's I was busy with school, guiding, buying houses, starting a family, and I really didn't get to spend much time out with my Dad. In the last couple of years, I've made it more of a priority. Dad and I spent a total of 15 days in the field this year between backpacking trips, bear hunting, deer hunting, elk hunting. Add a couple days fishing in there too.

Dad did not kill anything on any of our trips this year, I really don't think he cared. He is 65, recently retired, and still has half an elk in his freezer from last year so I really think he just enjoyed being there. I managed to fill a deer and an elk tag, and we shared the load of both of those kills off the mountain.

So what is it about? For Dad, I'm pretty sure he's at the point in his hunting career where he just wants to soak in still physically being able to go to the wild places that we go. I really don't think he cares much if he kills anything as long as we're spending time together.

I definitely have the drive to kill animals and fill my tags. It's a priority of mine to supply my family with wild game every year. I used to go hard daylight to dark, cover ridiculous mileage and did it myself because I didn't like to be slowed down. I now slow down and prefer to spend more time with Dad. When the time comes to get serious about moving in on an animal, I go solo, but most of the rest of the time we hunt and glass together. So for me, filling the tag is very important, but the quality of the time spent with family and friends in the woods while doing it is quickly climbing the ladder. My son is 5 and starting to join me out in the field. We did a few day hunts this year and I'm REALLY looking forward to more of those.

So yes it's hard to put into words. The kill is important, otherwise we'd all just go into the woods with a walking stick and a camera. But its all the other things that happen along the way and the people we do it with that really make the hunt memorable and satisfying.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 12 01, 2022 •  [Post 3]

We are all different. I go out alone and sit in a tree stand. I may stay there for the full 30 days if necessary. It may be hot and uncomfortable, but it is far more often cold, and I try hard to just stay warm enough to be functional if an elk comes around. Most seasons I kill nothing except for an elk. Though I have a bear tag, I have never drawn my bow to shoot one. Rarely I will shoot a buck deer. My hunting is completely focused, and it is dedicated to one thing. That said I am anticipating the end of my hunting years and am saddened by the thought.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Billy Goat » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 4]

it's the "times", for me.

times together with my dad (now no longer an option)
times teaching my kids how to do this
times in the kitchen, enjoying a well cooked meal
times in the woods, just me, God and nature
times over a knife, filleting the harvest
times overcoming a challenge (this year a trailer wheel bearing)
times of laughter about a hunt gone wrong
etc

harvest is sometimes part of it, but times is part of all of it.

see the book of Ecclesiastes! :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 08, 2022 •  [Post 5]

What's it all about? Well, all I know for sure is, the older I got, the less urge I had to kill anything. It was far more important to just be out there enjoying the experience and opportunity of being one with nature.

I recall one year when I decided to keep a tally of every elk I called within 30 yards. For each one called I would place a tally mark on my bow with a sharpy pin. At the end of the season there were 43 marks on that old bow and I never drew the string back one time. The fun of it all was just knowing I could beat them at their own game on their own home range.

Today my hunting days are pretty much over except for shooting a few pesty ground squirrels around the place. I had a small bunch of antelope hanging around with a buck in the bunch that was easily Pope and Young class. Close to a 16 incher with heavy mass. He should be a real dandy next year. I could sit in my recliner and watch him almost every day out the living room window. And with the heavy snows we have been getting, the elk will be migrating in here real soon.

THAT'S WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT to me!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics