Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Starting today

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Starting today

Postby Lefty » 11 12, 2022 •  [Post 1]

OK, guys what kind of outdoor activities do you fellers have coming up?
goose killing isnt happening.not happening. The muzzleloader started a few days back and most of the trophy hunts are done. So hopefully I'm headed up to kill a cow elk midweek. No messing around ( too Much anyway) My goal is to complete a full bath and all the house plumbing and an elk in the freezer before Thanksgiving,,, then painting and electrical. Then goose hunting.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Starting today

Postby Billy Goat » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 2]

next week, I get to act as a "guide" taking a bunch of youth (17-19) deer hunting here in TX.

it's not high-intensity hunting by any stretch (sitting in a box blind in the TX hill country on a ranch loaded with deer), but it is a great chance to introduce the younguns to the outdoors, be part of several first kills, show them how to fillet a deer, etc.

so I'm pretty excited to be part of this ministry. My wife is the administrator for the program, which is how I got invited to participate.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby wawhitey » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Currently kicking back for the weekend. Letting the weekend warriors do their thing. I prefer just to hunt weekdays during modern firearm season. The area ive been hunting the last few days i havent seen a soul, heard a gunshot, or found a boot print, all the same im sticking to hunting on weekdays. Monday morning ill be back at it. Was going to focus on lion hunting but the area im in has pretty good deer activity for current year, so im hunting deer through the 19th, lion hunting after deer season is over. Doubt ill kill a buck though. Plenty of bear meat on hand, so unless i see a real pig of a buck, im not shooting. Friday i saw 7 bucks and 15 does. That tells me theres a decent chance of a big buck showing up at some point as the rut gets going. No sign of rut activity yet. Even had a group of three 4x4 bucks roll down off the hill right where i expected. Showing no sign of aggression. Just acting like a summer bachelor group.
I was planning on wolf / lion hunting idaho unit 1 next month, but with how much snow we have here already, i got a hunch by next month itll be bad enough over there that ill just stick to lion hunting here locally. My luck ill call in some wolves. The area im hunting deer right now, and ill be hunting lions after, is right in the heart of my local packs territory. Theres at least 10 of them now, including the 3 new pups. One adult female got shot this year chasing cattle. Saw that coming a mile away.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 11 13, 2022 •  [Post 4]

In years past I'd have been gearing up for duck hunting but I retired my old girl last year so I think I'm taking this one off. I also would have been hitting the local rivers to steelhead fish but that's a exercise in futility anymore. Just no fish returning, and waiting for the fish and game department to issue their annual emergency closure. Pretty sad state of affairs around here anymore. I plan on trying to do more wintertime Blacktail scouting and maybe some snowshoeing this winter as my son gets big enough. May go walk some areas after a fresh snow and look for cat tracks.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 11 14, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Rooster season!! Just got a couple inches of snow. Man, if it wasnt the day after deer season, I would be out. But we hit it pretty hard this last 9 days. We had pretty bad winterkill here and the big bucks were just nowhere to be found. Tough deer season.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 11 14, 2022 •  [Post 6]

It is just yard work and my daily hike for the next few months.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 11 16, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Preparing for winter. It has already hit the low teens in temperature.Chains on tractor, snow blower on back of tractor, stock tank heater plugged in, spread manure, put snow fence up. All those fun things.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 11 18, 2022 •  [Post 8]

saddlesore wrote:Preparing for winter. It has already hit the low teens in temperature.Chains on tractor, snow blower on back of tractor, stock tank heater plugged in, spread manure, put snow fence up. All those fun things.

Evidently, you get more snow than I do. I quit putting up a snow fence,,, I got something a little bigger to move snow.

75 gallon water tank, 3/4 full, stock heater cranking away and only a small hole of open water today. 2 degrees. Geese migrated in yesterday. But my daughter bought a house that needs a complete bathroom,,, If the weather lightens up Ill go back after elk next week after the tile is on the tub surround.
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 11 20, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Bathroom is done. I’m going deer hunting!
Attachments
9C5E3311-DD4D-4587-9862-997A29D14D32.jpeg
CB7FA1FB-9356-4C59-95B5-35F5AE2A4358.jpeg
B86A8818-C38A-4D70-B7DB-876116121691.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 11 20, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Looks good Joe

Ill finish the plumbing tomorrow and set the tub,,, maybe put the new wall and tile backer up .
Lefty

Postby Indian Summer » 11 21, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Thanks! Post some pictures when you’re done.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tom Grates » 11 22, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Joe, I assume you had a female do the decorating? I do not see any dead animals!
Tom Grates

Postby Lefty » 11 22, 2022 •  [Post 13]

20221121_110554.jpg
Lefty