Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My reason for missing .

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My reason for missing .

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I had gone in to eat lunch, warm up, and take a short nap. As I left the cabin an 18 inch 3x3 was in the orchard.Too bad I didn't know any young hunters. It did cross my mind to run into town and check in the Middle school for a kid to go get a buck .

Mid afternoon I was reading an old copy of Eastman's Hunting Journal, While sitting in the blind.

It was the second day of the rifle deer hunt, a bit of wind, I had a couple of bucks out front., A 3x3 maybe 16 inches wide,,, and a 4x4 Big enough to kill on the 2nd day. I kind of chuckled.
I adjusted my mono stick, ranged the deer at 258 yards, then realized I ranged the tree behind him, My old Nikon Range finder has failed me a couple of times.
I ranged again, the bigger deer, 230 yards.
The power on the scope was set at 12X.
I started to settle the crosshairs, I adjusted my chair. Pushed my cheek down on the stock,,, I felt very steady, a nice broadside shot.
The gun had been zeroed in at 100 yards. I settled center on the height of the body. That moment the thought crossed my mind, I can have him in the freezer before midnight.
Perfectly: the gun fired, I felt the recoil, The scope went dark, then settled down and I saw a flash of deer tail.

Everything seemed right. Yet not at all.
The was no report of the hit!
The buck was gone, did it drop? The other buck was wandering around?
What just happened?

I sent a text home, " I going to stay in the blind, I can't see a dead deer. "

Minutes later a 4x5 24" steps out, At first, Was it another buck? The two bucks strolled around for some time. The little buck seemed to be fixated on something

After the bucks were gone for 30 minutes I hustled out to the location. no deer, no blood, no hair. I shot correctly,

The gun must be off! :oops:

I walked back to the truck, drove down the road, and checked my rifle. After the 2nd shot at the target, I was shooting low, way low. :o Then I noticed I had some crazy parallax going on. I rearranged my jacket under the gun's forearm. for another shot at the target, settling my cheek down towards the stock my glasses hit my scope.
Instantly I knew what had gone wrong with the shot.

Do I laugh? or cry?

I was looking through my bifocal transition,,,,,,,,,, That's my excuse,,,, and I'm sticking to it.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: My reason for missing .

Postby Swede » 10 16, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Missing happens. It is a part of life. Good story.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 10 16, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:Missing happens. It is a part of life. Good story.

And all of it is true. No embellishment either.

Headed out tomorrow, same place. Maybe that buck was 26 inches,,,,,,,,or 28 ,,,, :lol:

A simple learning expierience Ive never encountered!!
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 10 18, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I didnt miss today!
Lefty

Postby 7mmfan » 10 21, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Lesson learned and corrected! Good work!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 10 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:Lesson learned and corrected! Good work!

I'm hunting out of a pop-up blind, I need glasses for reading and was wearing them at the time.

I thought I was an extreme or rare case. Last night at a friend's Halloween party I visited with the gun shop owner, He mentioned that it does happen,, once, with bifocal wearers
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 10 24, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Was hunting ducks in ND this last weekend with my kids. Hunting mallards in fields while laying in layout blinds. The shooting is hard. I was actually satisfied with my shooting, however, there were plenty of misses.

Are they cupped? Yes! NO! Gone. Next flock. Cupped? No. YES! Take'em! How did they get behind me so dang fast? Well, 20 mph wind certainly helps them.

We had a single come in with the wind. Low. Going 1,284 mph. My son shot and missed, but the drake mallard flipped around and tried to fly into the wind. That was a mistake on his part. I had a duck basically treading water. He came home with us! Thanks to my son on the assist.
Tigger