Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Good Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Good Hunter

Postby Swede » 09 27, 2022 •  [Post 1]

What attributes, in your opinion, make a person a "good big game hunter"? Is it the ability to kill game animals or not waste any? Maybe they don't lose any due to poor shots. Is it a person that gives back to the sport by helping others.

Personally, I feel it is a hunter that is comfortable being who and what they are. They don't complain or blame others when things don't work out as planned. If they make a mistake, they can laugh at it and move on. A good hunter is not afraid you are going to get all the game, so they are pleased and will celebrate your success with you.

What else?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Good Hunter

Postby Lefty » 10 02, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Swede thats a tough question to answer for me ,,, or easy.
Does the good hunter make all his shots
does he follow the letter of the law,
shares his time in the out doors,
kills his game every year,
supports wildlife conservation,,,,,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 10 03, 2022 •  [Post 3]

This thread was posted to start a conversation. We may have different ideas what a "good hunter" is, but I do not expect an argument. I really don't have a definition for a good hunter, but if killing any specific game every year is a prerequisite or never missing a shot are any part of the requirement, then no experienced hunter will qualify. This I know from many seasons of hunting big game: I only control me. I do not control the game and sometimes things go bad.
I had a $190 drop-away rest go bad on me this September and I missed three shots at elk before I had the problem fixed. In my opinion that does not make me a bad hunter or anything else.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 10 04, 2022 •  [Post 4]

There's a lot that makes someone a good big game hunter. Similar to my thread on what makes you a good killer, there's your ability to find and kill game, capitalize on the opportunities that are presented to you, know where to go when the pressure is on, ability to find game in new locations, proficiency with your weapon, etc... we all know these inherently.

Then there is the other stuff. Ethics, morals, willingness to help others, stewardship in general. A good big game hunter does the right thing when others aren't looking. It's easy to want to push the boundaries a little when you're miles deep in the wilderness and no one is looking. Being conservation minded instead of just having to fill a tag. Willingness to help others, whether that's finding game, advice on tactics, packing game out, flat tire, battery jump, etc... Just being a good person in general.

I've known a lot of people that fall into one of those two categories, but only a couple that really signify both. I strive to be both, someday I'll get there.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 10 04, 2022 •  [Post 5]

Spine Shot.jpg
Spine Shot.jpg (63.33 KiB) Viewed 639 times

Good hunter or ruthless killer?
Swede

Postby Tigger » 10 05, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Sometimes it is easier to define what a good hunter is NOT.

There was a video circulating this week from a MT Bulls and Bucks Facebook page of a hunter who had shot an elk with an arrow. The bull was in bad shape. The hunter took a selfie video of him with the dying elk in the near background. It wobbled, walked a few steps and finally fell over. Some people criticized the hunter for giving the anti's ammunition. Then, a lot of people criticized those people. I had a completely different take. No way could I take a selfie when an elk was still alive. I would have kept shooting until that animal was dead. To prolong the death to take a selfie is not something I could do. IMO, that was not a good hunter.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 05, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Years ago, I was looking at a shelf display of broadheads taken form big game animals at the butcher shop in Burns Oregon. I asked one of the butchers it they retrieved more broadheads than bullets. The butcher said they found far more old bullets in game than broadheads. Let's face it; bad things happen when hunters shoot at running game, take long shots and or shoot off hand.

Arrows kill by causing massive hemorrhaging. It is rarely instantaneous. Taking a video of a dying animal is not something I would do, or even care to watch on YouTube.
Swede