Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Up in Elk camp

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Up in Elk camp

Postby Lefty » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 1]

It's hot.
We've been seeing quite a few cow elk.
It is refreshing very little smoke from fires this year.
Way more grass so maybe the new Range is on top of things. Cows seem to be where they're supposed to be and a couple of the pastures haven't even had cows on this year. Did I mention it's hot it cooled all the way down to 60° last night at 8200 ft
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Up in Elk camp

Postby Lefty » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Well this morning Julie was sick all night I guess they had a few scattered rain falls. Julie stayed in bed Andrew Glass down where they have camp and spotted and watched a big mule deer bed and I offered to let spend the day after the big buck and Andrew just said it's too far

I spotted 20 cows and calves on a ridge this morning but now as it's getting brighter out I haven't seen anything exciting day but I think we're all pretty sore from yesterday's hikes I'm probably going to lose cell reception any minute
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 3]

How far is too far for a big muley buck? If it is big enough, nothing is too far!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Too far? Never met her. She sounds terrible.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 5]

I heard a bugle this morning right at daybreak. And no, it wasn't Swede clearing his throat.
Attachments
20220901_083023.jpg
20220901_083023.jpg (326.88 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Lefty » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Tigger wrote:How far is too far for a big muley buck? If it is big enough, nothing is too far!

I spent the evening looking for him.we made 3 trips to pack his elk out, the deer is only 700 yards further
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 01, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Got back to camp at 2:00 p.m. had to wait for a cow and a calf moose to cross the road that was kind of fun ended up finishing up setting up camp and unfortunately the smoke is rolled in. Tonight I glanced a long time looking for the deer from this morning and for any other Elkin my range was somewhat limited because of the smoke right now the smoke is thick enough it's making my nose run in my eyes water
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 02, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I got up early walked around a bit in the dark wondering if I could hear any bugles. I did lots of glassing went down and looked for the big mule deer Andrew had given me what he thought was the right description but the deer is on private ground barely but on private ground we did get possible permission if we kill elk above their Ranch to take ATVs up to the public land to bring out an elk but they don't let anybody on their ground disappointing morning otherwise covered a lot of ground glassing so doing a fun deer never saw any Antelope I think this is the first time I've ever gone this long without seeing an antelope out in the flats
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 03, 2022 •  [Post 9]

WGI_0428.JPG

100 degrees as I sit at home, done all my laundry , everythiings except groceries are in the truck ready to go back.

Ran in and sat at this location . tossed out a lazy bugle every 15 minutes. 1:30- to just after 8:00Pm
Guess I should have been there last week :lol: :P
WGI_0247.JPG
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I got another call from Andrew this morning he is so excited he can't stand it we had talked about him going in and placed in a trail camera in a little tiny hidey hole the hidey hole generally has cow elk in it this morning when he went down to check the place was lousy thick with elk he could hear them making all sorts of Racket playing in the water meowing running around before he even got with insight when he glanced he counted 65 but they're moving around so hard he couldn't count anymore but he figured there was over 100 head in there and can't wait till I get up there maybe the unfortunate part he also said that the smoke is so thick it can hardly see
Lefty

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 06, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Hang in there Lefty. Looks like you have plenty of cows located. The bulls should be showing up there soon looking for hot chicks. :D :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby Billy Goat » 09 07, 2022 •  [Post 12]

great updates! I hope the smoke clears and reveals the 2023 dinner plan in range. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby six » 09 07, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Really enjoying following along. Curious, are you at all concerned about the fire if the smoke is heavy enough to make your eyes water?
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Postby Lefty » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Smoke really bothers me however where we are the smoke tends to come in and then leave.

I This morning it smells smoky.Currently no wind.
The s.oke is heavy in the low spots.
If the smoke stays I'll go back home.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 15]

WW lots of hotties in the woods.

Tuesday night we went in where Andrew had watched a bull. The cows were there, but we never heard or saw the bull.

Yesterday l I glassed from up high and Andrew Glassed from down lower we glassed the similar area but I was seeing different elk than he was I was far enough away I could only guess the bigger and blonder animals were Bulls I saw a total of 20 head in the morning Andrew saw about the same so we figured there's at least 50 head in this one front drainage we hiked in and Andrew said he'd call on the first setup. Andrew sat down I went to sit down.I was unloading my gear I saw a cow elk 55 yards away I snuck up within 27 yards there were other cows with her I just needed to make sure none were bulls.
then I motioned to Andrew that we'd back out, the wind betrayed us.
A few hundred yards later we saw this huge elk standing on a ridge but couldn't see the head it was covered with mud so we just figured it was a bull we kept glassing trying to see its penis eventually she moved we were there maybe 20 minutes and again the wind caught us. but we're 45 yards from her most of the time

We set up in another region really close to where we had seen the mornings elk going to the timber I really dreaded it cuz I recalled last winter how thick and nasty it was and steep there are these tight little finger ridges in quakies and if you get down low sometimes you can see 25 yards through the quickies but otherwise standing up you can't see 15 yards. there are little breaks in those quakeies after 20 minutes a pair of elk showed up, Andrew could see them I was 24 yards away over the top of a small Ridge and couldn't see anything he just kept motioning to me what was going on. he was sending video to my daughter and my wife rubbing it in with the elk hanging around so long and so close it was really surprising what we could get by with eventually the one cow wouldn't tolerate us ev
I think could see my gray hair cuz my hat had fallen off but that was kind of cool.
for over 2 hours .

it was still plenty early and we wanted to see where all the elk it may be gone or were what they were going to come out of Andrew and I split up to watch different basins he had been sitting 20 minutes before Three Buck mules got up and trotted off.
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 09 08, 2022 •  [Post 16]

The smoke was Heavy in the valleys and lowlands but more clear up higher we spent the day well until 2:00 in the afternoon with clear skies back at Camp I made lunch and took a nap I woke up and the smoke had really moved in so now I'm sitting in my pickup with the recycle air filter on one thing that's kind of nice though the temperature is dropped it's only 68° at 6:00 in the evening. IM not sure what I'm going to do for hunting the winds are really strong and I really don't like being outside, the smoke is making my eyes water. I got the batteries charged up filled,the water containers,cleaned out my pickup, washed my camoand made great tasting meal.
20220908_142305.jpg
Lefty