Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Gettin weird around here

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Gettin weird around here

Postby wawhitey » 06 12, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Several strange things here this week. The only 2 local animals ive never had on camera here on my property are mule deer and elk. Both live on a mountain pretty near by, but never come down my way. Well, a few days ago on my way home from town there was a cow elk standing right on the side of the road not far from my house. Then today, one of my cell cams sends me a pic of a muley doe on my property. Pic was from about the stomach forward. Sure looked like a muley but i thought i must be crazy, they just flat dont come down here. So i walked back there to pull a card on another cam (confirmed im not crazy, it was a muley) and right there growing out of my trail was an amanita muscaria. Ive seen a ton of them growing up around the puget sound and getting very interested in mycology as a teenager, but for the life of me i cant recall ever seeing one anyhere in eastern washington, let alone in my back yard. Lotta stuff that just doesnt seem to belong here is showing up in just the last few days. Maybe ill get a lynx or a bigfoot on cam soon.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Gettin weird around here

Postby Lefty » 06 12, 2022 •  [Post 2]

I got an antelope on a bear bait trail cam a couple years back ,

Kind of a cool pic from behind my shop

Im sure Ive shared the story. A buddy got Santa on his trail cam, 2AM Christmas morning.
Last year I got lions two different places I didn't expect

WGI_1032.JPG
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 3]

Whitey - You really sound like a fungi! Some people have all the luck.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Ha, definitely some strange sightings/occurrences at your ranch WW. Don't suppose you've seen any strange glowing lights in the woods at your place :shock:.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Ha, definitely some strange sightings/occurrences at your ranch WW. Don't suppose you've seen any strange glowing lights in the woods at your place :shock:.

No strange glowing lights yet. Perhaps ill go eat that amanita and report back. :lol:
wawhitey

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 06 13, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Whitey - No strange glowing lights yet. Perhaps ill go eat that amanita and report back.

I'm going to 2 Grateful Dead concerts this weekend. You could make BANK in the parking lot.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby wawhitey » 07 27, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Well ill be damned. Just checked a cam up near the top of my property and got pics of a young bull elk. Never had mule deer or elk on cam here, and now all the sudden i get both in about a 3 week period. Date on the elk cam is off, it was july 5th.
Attachments
03040560_copy_800x449.jpg
03040560_copy_800x449.jpg (200.53 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 8]

That is a nice fat little bull. Maybe you can get a shot at him this season. Do you have any salt out to coax him back?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Hes standing right over a little salt lick there. But i can think of a lot better places to hunt elk. One spike out of season in 8 years of owning the property aint much. Im just excited to see one here on my place. Ive had whitetail, moose, bears, lions, yotes, bobs, wolves... just never had an elk or muley until this year. Ill be at sea for early archery, muzzy, and rifle elk seasons this year so wont even be buying a tag.
And really, if all the stars aligned and i had a tag in my pocket and the opportunity to shoot him on my property, i really dont think id do it. How could i shoot the first elk to show up on my property after 8 years of never seeing an elk here? Just wouldnt seem right.
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 07 28, 2022 •  [Post 10]

I guess it is just how you look at it. If it is a game animal and you have a tag, then plan on having it for dinner. If it is a pet, then enjoy watching it.
Where I grew up, one neighbor shot a good bull on some BLM ground just above another neighbor's land. The bull used to feed in the field and the one neighbor loved watching it. The other loved eating it. To each his own. It was fair game.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby six » 08 11, 2022 •  [Post 11]

I have lived on or near our family farm for 52 years.  No one had ever seen a bear on the farm.  5 years ago I got a trail cam pic of a bear.  Last summer and fall my wife and I had 7 different bear sightings.  I saw three one night bow hunting.

Lots of round table discussions at the coffee shop and best I can come up with is the bear are being displaced by new construction.    Of course 200 acres of cornfields close by is helping.
Attachments
927e3ffa-5401-498a-bcb6-3b3770e611b1.jpg
927e3ffa-5401-498a-bcb6-3b3770e611b1.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 1083 times
Elk are where you find em...
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool