Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Playing around....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Playing around....

Postby Tom Grates » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 1]

Spent the last few weeks getting everything together for this upcoming bear hunt in Saskatchewan. Let the boys do a little "coolness" to the bow, went over to one of their houses and set up the arrows a few nights ago, and this is what we came up with. I am used to the old camo only bow, blue and white fletchings on a plane shaft, but slowly this is catching on me, the bow was done a few months back, it took a while to get the heavier shafts and re-tune, luckily one of the boys is starting his own little shop tuning and making custom arrows. It is a long time since I fletched up some arrows. Actually was nice to hang out and get this all together, life is too fast any more!
Attachments
bear2.jpeg
bear2.jpeg (197.04 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Tom Grates

Re: Playing around....

Postby Tom Grates » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 2]

bear4.jpg
bow
bear4.jpg (34.53 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
Tom Grates

Postby Tom Grates » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 3]

bear1.png
bear1.png (475.14 KiB) Viewed 2000 times

Going to shoot these broadheads, that will place 225 grains of killing power at the end of my arrow alone! Should be deadly!
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Your setup looks good Tom. How well do the arrows fly with those heavy broadheads? I ask because I had to reduce the weight on my broadheads to get the arrows to stabilize. I managed to kill one of my biggest bulls with the combination, but it was a short-range shot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tom Grates » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 5]

I shot Jons arrows that are the exact same arrow, add 1/4 inch, they flew very well. I have yet to shoot these exact ones, I will let you know.
Shafts are Easton Axis 5mm 300 spines with Easton 100 grain stainless 1/2 out knocks, blazer vanes with matching wraps. Shafts are 27.5 inches carbon to carbon and finish out right at 478 grains. If in fact they fly like the others did, it should be a heck of a thumper! I will find out this weekend, that is for sure.
Tom Grates

Postby Tom Grates » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Swede, this is set up for 30 yards max. I will retune prior to deer season and go back to my other arrows.
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 03 18, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I am just curious. You may be able to get the arrow to fly right where I could not. I will look forward to seeing you post your results. With different arrows and different bows, you can see different results. Those arrows should hit hard if you can stabilize them.
Swede

Postby Tom Grates » 03 21, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I have some tweaking to do with it, it shot decent, but I have a little front end drop, have to see if I can get it straightened out
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 03 21, 2022 •  [Post 9]

I just could not get mine to paper tune at all. I don't put as much stock in paper tuning as I used to, but there are limits on spine and f.o.c. that I try to follow fairly close. Keep us posted on what you find out. Thanks
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Bow and arrows look great. Do your socks match your underwear? :lol:

Not so sure about those medieval looking broadheads though. I’d look at Magnus Black Hornets or a good old elk slaying Slick Trick. Good luck.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tom Grates » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Those broadheads are on my list, along with the broadheads by QAD. I really liked the idea of a one piece design, and after speaking with the owner of the company and a few others, I decided on these.

As far as my underwear and socks go, yes, they match, I only wear grey and black. :D :lol:
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 12]

I prefer the multipiece broadheads. When something goes wrong with a one-piece BH you have nothing you can replace. When you have a one-piece BH in the shoulder of your elk, it is an all or nothing deal. With mine, I can at least occasionally look around for missing parts for a while. :lol:
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 13]

If you look at a Slick Trick or any Magnus head they are a frickin’ solid design! If they weren’t Manus would be out of business because they give you free replacements if anything happens. Don’t overthink it Tom… it’s a bear not a rhinoceros! :lol: Anything that kills elk will kill a bear.
Indian Summer

Postby Tom Grates » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Not over thinking it, bought these ones because they are the ones I felt were the ones for me. I would say they would down an elk too.
There are many companies for many people, not just one.
Tom Grates

Postby Tom Grates » 03 25, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Swede, update:
I have the arrows flying with a perfect hole with field tips, broadheads come in today, so I will try those when I get home from the weekend.
Tom Grates

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2022 •  [Post 16]

I have a lot of Slick Trick broadheads. They are excellent and fly right. The ones I had that came apart were the Rocky Mountain Titanium broadheads. They are not made anymore. They did the job and stayed together until they came to a stop in the animal. The cow I posted on the 2021 meat pole was killed with a Slick Trick.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 29, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Tom Grates wrote:Not over thinking it, bought these ones because they are the ones I felt were the ones for me. I would say they would down an elk too.
There are many companies for many people, not just one.

Maybe. But I’m from the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it crowd. Aka the stubborn old fart crowd. You’ve been bow hunting your whole life and doing just fine. Why change now?
Indian Summer

Postby Tom Grates » 04 04, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Basically it comes down to I hunt whitetail with my bow, it is not set up for larger game. As you know the place does not allow expandable broadheads, so I decided to go to a heavier up front arrow with more weight. I can go right back to my Rage's as soon as I return, if I decide I want to.
Tom Grates