Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

March 2022 Photo of the Month Contest

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

March 2022 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 02, 2022 •  [Post 1]

The March 2022 WapitiTalk.com Photo of the Month Contest Theme is: “Trees, brush, and rocks”. Let’s see some nice landscape themed photos.

1. One photo submission allowed per month, per member (yep, stinky MODs may enter a photo also).
2. Photo must relate to the monthly theme (or risk being disqualified).
3. Do not use photo editing software to enhance your photo. Just post the photo as it was taken with your camera, smart phone, trail cam, etc. You may have to resize some photos so they are accepted by the forum software; remember, photos can only be 800X600 pixels "MAX" for our forum.
4. You may use older photos you have on hand, but, do not submit a photo that has won a previous WT photo contest.
5. Any WT member may enter a photo they have taken or appear in.
6. Judging – WT members will vote on monthly photo submissions.
7. Contest period will normally end the last day of the month.
8. Winner must contact WapitiTalk1 via PM and provide mailing address for prize (your prize may be sent directly from a WT sponsor or from RJ).
9. Prizes will vary from month to month.
10. All monthly winners will be automatically entered into the "photo of the year" contest.

The prize for the March 2022 contest is (to be determined).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: March 2022 Photo of the Month Contest

Postby 7mmfan » 03 02, 2022 •  [Post 2]

Hmmm.... I'll have to dive into the archives for this one.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 03 03, 2022 •  [Post 3]

This was a tough one. I have a few that really leap out at me because of the memories and the places they were taken. This one I had to choose because it really is just one of my favorites, even though I just took it while taking the dog for a walk one winter day here the great PNW. It sure is representative of our forests though.
Attachments
20170406_172023.jpg
20170406_172023.jpg (371.26 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 03 04, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Here are a few of the contenders. These are NOT my entry, just to share and hopefully get some folks to do the same.

This one is a little high mountain basin in Washington's Cascades. My Dad and I hiked in there for our High Buck hunt in September a few years back. It rained more that day than any day I've ever spent in the woods. I drank water but I don't think I needed to. I'm sure I vicariously absorbed gallons of water through my skin and breath that day. At some point mid day I was soaked despite wearing $800 worth of rain gear, so I hunkered in under an ancient old fir tree that somehow had dry ground under it and scratched up a little fire. I heated up some water to drink dried some of the stuff and just enjoyed the view for about an hour before trudging out and up over the ridgeline to our camp.

20180923_211218.jpg
20180923_211218.jpg (277.69 KiB) Viewed 2433 times

This one is the view from the top of this basin after my party and I finished packing my elk up out of it. Reached the top right at sunset. Still had a 6 mile bike ride out to the gate though. I'm finally going to get back to this place this year after a two year hiatus. Very excited.

image2 (1).jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg (139.87 KiB) Viewed 2433 times
7mmfan

Postby 7mmfan » 03 15, 2022 •  [Post 5]

What's it going to take to get you ragamuffins off your duffs and post some pictures? Here is some motivation. NOT A ENTRY, just a place I like.

This is a high mountain pass in the Cascades. There is a lake just above it that drains out and creates this small creek that serpentines through this area for about 1/2 mile before it plunges off a cliff and towards the ocean. This little creek is home to what appears to be a million tiny trout. The biggest I saw was maybe 5"- 6" long, but man they were active, leaping out after every bug that came by. There is another lake nearby that used to host a great population of cutthroat, that for an unknown reason died off a few years ago. I've considered coming with some collapsible water jugs and moving some of these trout up to that lake to try and get it going again. Just need a good long weekend and a partner or two with strong backs to hoof them up there.

trout country.jpg
trout country.jpg (129.63 KiB) Viewed 2405 times

Here is the lake I want to put them in.

IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG (291.66 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 03 22, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Trees, rocks, brush… and even water. Best I could do. Wish me luck.
Attachments
C4CC28D5-800E-4D20-9BD6-374CC23A3672.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 03 22, 2022 •  [Post 7]

A bit smoky. I spend a lot of time here

20210902_185123_01.jpg
s
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 03 23, 2022 •  [Post 8]

Man, I like that one IS.
7mmfan

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 03 23, 2022 •  [Post 9]

I thought this was the March photo I f the month.....not last summer?
Thegreatwapiti

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 10]

Actual March photo.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:I thought this was the March photo I f the month.....not last summer?

TGW, the photo of the month does not have to be from the same month of the contest ;) .
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Sorry. I just read the rules. I don't read the instructions on building furniture either. I have removed my "March" pic and replaced it with one that better suits this month's theme! My bad.
Attachments
20200803_064736.jpg
20200803_064736.jpg (244.66 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Thegreatwapiti

Postby 7mmfan » 03 24, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:Sorry. I just read the rules. I don't read the instructions on building furniture either.

My uncle used to be a consultant for businesses sales teams. He specialized in testing to identify personality types and how to best utilize each one's strengths and weaknesses, and how to identify them in your customer so as to do the same. Anyway, he liked to use me as an example of a strong type A personality. The story he used was of me buying a pellet gun with a scope, and then using the instruction manual as a target to sight it in. The story was true. The struggle is real Thegreatwapiti, the struggle is real. :lol:
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 03 26, 2022 •  [Post 14]

I got the job! :D
Attachments
578FA2ED-A681-4B0E-AEFF-DAA6225DA671.jpeg
578FA2ED-A681-4B0E-AEFF-DAA6225DA671.jpeg (33.47 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
Indian Summer

Postby Deanmac » 03 27, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Now one of the above looks like a postcard, professional photo, I assume all entries suppose to be pictures taken by the member?
Deanmac

Postby Thegreatwapiti » 03 27, 2022 •  [Post 16]

"Now"? ..... "one of the above"?
Please be specific with your accusations.
My photo was taken out the driver's side window of my truck in Colorado Unit 28 by my Samsung phone on August 3rd, 2020.
Thegreatwapiti

Postby 7mmfan » 03 27, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Yeah, I think we all play this game with a gentleman's agreement that everyone plays by the rules. I think unless we have proof of rules being broken it's best to not call people out. Let's just keep it fun.
7mmfan

Postby Deanmac » 03 30, 2022 •  [Post 18]

Thegreatwapiti wrote:"Now"? ..... "one of the above"?
Please be specific with your accusations.
My photo was taken out the driver's side window of my truck in Colorado Unit 28 by my Samsung phone on August 3rd, 2020.

Don't want to point fingers, but if I did it would not be at your deer picture. LOL
I even showed photos to my wife and she thought the same thing.
Deanmac

Postby Indian Summer » 03 31, 2022 •  [Post 19]

I would hope we stick to the rules too. I hope you’re not referring to mine but I’m pretty sure you are. It does look postcard quality. I have thousands of pictures from over the years. Before the cell phone thing everything was taken with a digital Canon Rebel which I loved. Back then I utilized the settings for aperture and shutter speed. Great especially for things like still photos of hummingbirds or to make waterfalls look misty. All of those pictures were much more vivid. Some are amazing! Made me look like I knew what I was doing. Now with photo editing you can really brighten things up too. Most of my favorite pics are edited. Those pictures will always be the best ones I have. That’s where I dug my entry up from. These days I have some scenery shots but mostly dead bull pics. Sometimes I have to dig deep depending on the theme that month. If I happen to win this month Dean I’ll have the man in charge send the prize to your house. I don’t care about that at all. You should vote for me so you can win. Lol
Indian Summer

Postby 7mmfan » 03 31, 2022 •  [Post 20]

Indian Summer wrote:I Before the cell phone thing everything was taken with a digital Canon Rebel which I loved. Back then I utilized the settings for aperture and shutter speed. Great especially for things like still photos of hummingbirds or to make waterfalls look misty. All of those pictures were much more vivid. Some are amazing! Made me look like I knew what I was doing. Now with photo editing you can really brighten things up too. Most of my favorite pics are edited. Those pictures will always be the best ones I have.

My new Samsung phone and my wife's new Iphone both have advanced camera settings for aperture and speed along with 1000 other settings that I have no idea how to utilize. My wife is much better with hers than I am. Some of the photos she takes with her phone are amazing. I really need to step my game up.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 03 31, 2022 •  [Post 21]

Before I had the digital Canon Rebel I had the exact same camera that used conventional film. I was a pretty avid photographer and knew how to use all of the settings. You could pick different film speeds too. Anyone can be a professional photographer if they have a good camera and take the time to learn how to use it and brush up on photo composition. That picture is from the Selway Bitterroot Wilderness. I have other really good ones from that trip. Some of my favorites are the ones with extreme shutter speeds either slow or fast. Hummingbirds, waterfalls and streams that look like flowing clouds. Sunsets. My iPhone is a POS but it still does ok even though the lens is always dirty. I’m pretty happy with them once I enhance the colors. Doing that makes even mediocre pictures look like post cards. I have a friend who’s a retired ironworker and has become a big wildlife photographer. When he first started posting pictures on Facebook I would always ask”Did you take that!” Now I don’t even ask. Now at the bottom right corner his pics say “James Dorrance Photography” Like I said anyone can take amazing pictures if they want to. Even carpenters and smelly elk hunters. :lol:
Indian Summer