Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Louis L'amour best lines

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Louis L'amour best lines

Postby Jhg » 02 27, 2022 •  [Post 1]

There are a bunch of great Louis L'amour lines in his many books.

My favorite opening line ? "When I saw that black-eyed woman a-looking at me I wished I had a Bible."

or... "The sky was blue and the plains were wide, and there was land around to stretch in. Maybe I'd only a few dollars in my jeans and a hanging party left behind, but the wind smelled good and the sun was warm, and it was a great time to be alive."

5368235A-0A59-4426-BCE4-8166424CE69A.jpeg
5368235A-0A59-4426-BCE4-8166424CE69A.jpeg (51.09 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
Jhg

Re: Louis L'amour best lines

Postby Swede » 02 27, 2022 •  [Post 2]

It has been years since I picked up a Louis L'amour book. I remember Guns of the Timberlands and To the Far Blue Mountains. They were too far out for me. Besides I found myself rooting for the loggers. I think my favorite line was "The End." :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 3]

LOVE his books. One of my sons is reading them now. Classics. Just great reads that leave you just wanting to live in that era.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 4]

Many people love Louis L'amour. I always preferred Zane Grey. Zane Grey's descriptions of the country in which his story took place was special to me, but others found it boring. For a good read get The Virginian by Owen Wister. Just keep in mind the events described in his book actually took place in the Methow Valley of Washington State. Descendents of some of the people named in the book still live in that area.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 5]

"...so I thrust that gun back of my belt and with that move I bought a ticket to hell with a dead man's gun."

"... the smell of the coffee and of bacon frying fairly set my stomach asking questions of my face. I'd come a far piece with nothing to chew on but my thoughts."
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 6]

I cant remember any quotes. I should start reading them again.
Tigger

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 28, 2022 •  [Post 7]

Tigger wrote:I cant remember any quotes. I should start reading them again.

Dean, wasn’t it you who recommended Last of the Breed by this author in one of our outdoor book recommendations a while back? That… was a good read.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 03 01, 2022 •  [Post 8]

It was a great read.

Not to derail the thread, but if you want another great read, try Comfort Crisis by Michael Easter. My buddies and I cannot stop talking about this book. Pertains to elk hunting a wee bit as well.
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 03 01, 2022 •  [Post 9]

Hijack away!

A great book (actually a pair) are by Alan LeMay. The Searchers and The Unforgiven.

Not at all like the movies which are frail next to the novels.

The Unforgiven, especially, creates a frontier picture fraught with fear regarding the summers first full moon and the attacks at this time by the Comanches. It was a sketchy thing choosing to live in Texas back then for sure.

Louis L'amour has his moments but his books are largely simple entertainment and escape. I enjoy them but I grab them because I know exactly what I will be getting.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 03 04, 2022 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:
Tigger wrote:I cant remember any quotes. I should start reading them again.

Dean, wasn’t it you who recommended Last of the Breed by this author in one of our outdoor book recommendations a while back? That… was a good read.

Ive maybe read 20 of Lamours books. Last of a breed was well beyound as my favorite.
Each day must be approached as a unit; each day must be lived with care; and if this was done, the procession of days would turn out all right.”
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jhg » 04 22, 2022 •  [Post 11]

Okay, wise guys. If there is ONE Louis L'Amour story to read it is thus: The Courting of Griselda.

It will take all of 15 minutes to read end to end but in those few pages rests the very best of the authors humor, attitudes about pride and fair play and resilience. These are all common themes in his many stories.

Search it out and enjoy. You will not be disappointed.
Jhg