Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I knew a guy once...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I knew a guy once...

Postby Jhg » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 1]

I knew a guy once....

You finish the sentence. It can be brief or it can be a story. Must be elk related.

Winner gets to puff around until the next contest.

Ready. Get set. Go!!!

806B3B94-C3BC-4F55-8A7D-310BDBE18845.jpeg
806B3B94-C3BC-4F55-8A7D-310BDBE18845.jpeg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 1645 times
Jhg

Re: I knew a guy once...

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 2]

This will be good.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 3]

I knew a guy once that hunted the same stand during late archery in WA every single day. It was a great spot, I saw elk around it frequently. He ate chocolate bars that I could smell from 100 yards away when I passed downwind of it. He never killed any elk, but he ate a lot of chocolate.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 4]

I knew a guy once who was a dedicated and serious elk hunter. So I agreed to show him my spots if he scouted all summer and showed me the places he found.
He scouted one time in the area I had already showed him. He invited a hunting "buddy" I had never met and then didn't like.

He/they arrowed a 350 bull above the wallow I showed him. I got one steak, no new places to hunt and a hard lesson in human nature.

I am still sorta pissed about it ten years later. Every time I pack the freezer with that seasons elk, I go through in my mind who gets some of the bounty. A roast here, a pack of steaks there. Slow cooker shoulder to the couple with a 5 yr old who can't get out as much to hunt right now.

The guy I knew once when I am packing the freezer? He never even enters my mind.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 5]

I knew a guy once that went by the handle of Stringunner on this and other hunting forums. He bought the tree stand elk hunting book I wrote, went into some of the same areas I hunted and managed to kill bigger elk than I ever have. I wish he was still posting on the forum as he was a good hunter and dedicated.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 23, 2022 •  [Post 6]

Met him and his dad. Or I should say they saw me tracking. I learned more in 5 minutes from them telling me how to archery hunt . They moved to Idaho to be "resident" to hunt where I was hunting.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 7]

I knew a guy once who offered to help my group out on a hunt a little near where he lives. After meeting him, you could tell he was a great guy. He drove us around and provided us some transportation. My buddy hit an elk and this guy took a day off work to help look for it. One of the most genuinely nice guys you will ever m eet.
And....and....AND he is a member here. Any guesses who it is?
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 8]

I knew a guy once that killed an elk every year during late archery in WA. There was never any shortage of encounters over there, it was just difficult to seal the deal as anyone who hunts elk knows. The guy by all appearances didn't seem to be an exceptional hunter, so I asked him how he always found so much success. His secret, "Just get an arrow in them, then they're easy to find." He didn't care where he hit them as long as he hit them. Then he'd doggedly track them in the snow until he was able to finish the deal. Awful.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Jhg » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 9]

I knew a guy once who always responded to my emails about elk hunting. He even answered his phone and talked with me for a few minutes about elk hunting, conditioning for the older bowhunter and stuff like that. When I sent my gloat pictures of this years bull he was complimentary, though he and his son have shot nicer ones.
Great guy. Kind of a nut though...
Jhg

Postby Tigger » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 10]

JHG I bet I know who that is!
Tigger

Postby Jhg » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 11]

His first name begins with the letter P as in Paul.

No more hints.
Jhg

Postby Swede » 02 24, 2022 •  [Post 12]

Does he go by the handle of Elknut? :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 02 25, 2022 •  [Post 13]

Nobody has guessed mine yet? C'mon guys!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2022 •  [Post 14]

Nobody comes to mind that fits your person of the week story Tigger. RJ would help, but he would have a long trip to make to go where you hunt. I would go to look at your elk to confirm in my mind that it was really a bull you shot. Hopefully it would not be another cow you put some studs in her skull, so you could attach a pair of shed antlers. :D
Swede

Postby Tigger » 02 25, 2022 •  [Post 15]

Okay, to narrow the field a little, he lives in NW Montana.

No shame in shooting a cow Swede. Keep on doing it. But should you ever shoot a bull, you can then hang out with the men! :lol:
Tigger

Postby Swede » 02 25, 2022 •  [Post 16]

Since I only know one person from NW Montana, I will guess Travis O'shea of Wapiti River Game Calls. I really don't know him well, but he was good to me, and I like his elk diaphragms and I have one of his grunt tubes.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 02 25, 2022 •  [Post 17]

Isn't Travis from Canada? I havent talked to him in a couple of years, but he lived in C eh N eh D eh at the time. I agree, great guy! But no. Not him. I am quite confident you know of this guy. Probably dont know where he lives. He is a sponsor of this forum, if that helps!!
Tigger