Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bad taxi mounts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bad taxi mounts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 25, 2021 •  [Post 1]

For whatever reason, I was googling this and……found this. I’m not sure which one is my favorite. :lol:

http://morningmoss.com/bad-taxidermy-mounts/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Bad taxi mounts

Postby Tigger » 12 26, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I have no words....
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 12 26, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Ebay is a goldmine of bad taxidermy. And the prices people want is ridiculous. Man, taxidermy is forever. If you have an animal youre proud of, and want to keep a memento of that hunt on your wall the rest of your life, better be sure the guy you take it to will meet or exceed your standards. Bad taxidermy is kinda like herpes. Youre stuck with it. Im fortunate to have a very good taxidermist right here in my general vicinity, that can do anything well, even cats. But hes closer to 80 than 70. One of these days hes just gonna stop taking in work. Then i dont know who the hell i would take anything other than a deer to. Not hard to find a guy that can make respectable looking deer mounts, but cats, bears, dogs, assorted small game... that gets harder to find a guy that can put out great work. Part of that might be because deer are the animal that they get the most of to do, more familiar. I think being good at "other" takes a lot of years, and of course talent too. Figure, most, if not all taxidermists, get far more deer in each year than predators. If a guy does 30 deer a year, 5 bears, and 3 cats, whats he going to be good at? Hell get good at deer way faster than he gets good at the predators
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 26, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I haven't seen much bad stuff that is new.

But Ive seen some ugly old stuff that hasnt weathered time. Bug eaten , borax "tanned , excelsior "stuffed" and marbles for eyes
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 12 26, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I agree with Whitey, but these charlatans weren't good at anything.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics