Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hand/toe warmers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hand/toe warmers

Postby Jhg » 11 19, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Hand or toe warmers. Are they all equal or some brands better than others?
Or point me to the thread covering this if it already exists. Thanks
Jhg

Re: Hand/toe warmers

Postby saddlesore » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I use the ones from Costco.Little Hotties toe warmers. About $14/box of 30 pair I think. However, I found the full insole foot warmers much better. There are two brands, but get the Grabbers brand as they are much bigger and fit a 9-10 size foot.

Hand warmers,I have never experienced much difference. I use the brand that Costco sells.
If I will be out all day ,I take an extra set of both with me. I always buy ones that claim 8 hours heat instead of 5 hours if I can find them.
Hand warmers do notwork as toes warmers as they are formulated differently
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 3]

This should be a good thread as I have found none to be very good. They will warm up a small spot, but the rest of your body is cold. I have found wearing good warm clothes works best and I have several hand warmers.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Swede wrote:This should be a good thread as I have found none to be very good. They will warm up a small spot, but the rest of your body is cold. I have found wearing good warm clothes works best and I have several hand warmers.

There are some Thermo care products (pads) that are for neck and back that you can put on your lower back and they really help keep the core warm
saddlesore

Postby wawhitey » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 5]

"My name is dean, and im a chemical warmer packet addict."

"Hi dean"

Dont mess arpund, buy the foot warmers. Theyre bigger and have adhesive on the bottom so you can stick them to the inside of ypur clothes. I buy cases of them.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby longbowelk » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 6]

For the kids while skiing we usually get the toe warmers for their feet and handwarmers for the gloves. Usually get the brand that Costco has there. The big thing I see most people fail to do is move the charcoal around enough to get the chemical reaction going enough for it to work before using. The kids have had the warmers last all day with no problem up there skiing. Some of the cheaper models of the wamers be careful if they are to close to the skin they can burn the skin when the reaction is working. SO I have the kids wear a thin polypropolene glove then have them put the handwarmer in the glove and followed by the hands.
longbowelk

Postby Jhg » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 7]

The brand I used this year were HotHands. They worked very well. For the core, place one in each pant pocket so they lay near your femoral artery.
I also used the hand warmers in my boots on top of my toes. They lasted 10 hrs, way longer than the toe warmers that stick on. Those last about 5hrs.
When it gets near zero and below I use the toe warmers stuck on top and the hand warmers up against the boot toe. This combo worked great in a pair of 400 gram boots, moderate to little activity and variable terrain. The boot alone, no warmers, fail to keep my feet warm, period if I stop for any time to watch a funnel or whatever. Once you get behind the chill in a boot you usually have to find a way to add warmth besides just walking around.

One reason I have been going this route is I can get by without buying a dedicated cold weather boot. I can use a boot that also works well in milder conditions. I tried pac boots like Hoffman. But they are very heavy and are not at all appropriate for steep terrain. Once I started looking at 800 or 1000 gram boots I was bumping up a whole shoe size and with that much insulation it felt like I was giving up a lot of agility.
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 11 20, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Before the days of insulated hip boots I used electric socks running a beaver trapline. They worked better than cold feet in the 70"s

I bought a box of the Little Hotties from Costco, And they worked good, for hands, but I think Ill pick up some electric socks and a Gerbiling handwarmer
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby longbowelk » 11 28, 2021 •  [Post 9]

For me I found that I was sweating so much on my feet in winter boots that I ended up with starting to use deodorant on my feet to keep them from getting so cold. That was what allowed me to stay out longer with no problem.
longbowelk