Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

If These Boots Could Talk…

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

If These Boots Could Talk…

Postby Indian Summer » 10 07, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I wonder what they would say. They’ve seen 10 seasons of hard elk hunting. A new set of laces and a fresh coat of Obenaufs and they’re ready for season 11. Tuff Toe on the front, some Freesole to glue the rubber back on around the bases. Could be their last hurrah. My next pair will likely be another set of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. They have served me very well.
Attachments
DE8C3F34-3F93-4E24-9578-9CF7B09A4A33.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: If These Boots Could Talk…

Postby Swede » 10 07, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Old boots are like friends. They are hard to part with. I would keep them around as long as possible. The new dogs will take time to break in, and a familiar pair of boots could come in and save the day. Good luck on your hunt. Keep us posted about how things are going if you can.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Jhg » 10 07, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Very cool. There is a guy on another forum touting a pair of boots and how hard he hunts with them- mountains, chasing bears (Oh My!) for a year. They look brand new. Anyway, I know what boots look like that get used hard even after a year, and his def were not used hard, no matter what he says.

These beauties though, say as much about the hunter, as they do the maker.
Jhg

Postby 7mmfan » 10 07, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I like it. I'm still looking for my pair of boots that last that long. Kenetreks are on my short list. I bought a pair of Schnees this year, my first truly high end pair of boots. They heel cup is too short and pinches the back of my heal, leaving me in pretty excruciating pain by the end of the day. I've got about 50 miles on them and they still do it, so I'm assuming it's not something that more miles will resolve. I so wish it was easier to find boots that you know will fit and feel good after the break in period.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 07, 2021 •  [Post 5]

7mmfan wrote:I like it. I'm still looking for my pair of boots that last that long. Kenetreks are on my short list. I bought a pair of Schnees this year, my first truly high end pair of boots. They heel cup is too short and pinches the back of my heal, leaving me in pretty excruciating pain by the end of the day. I've got about 50 miles on them and they still do it, so I'm assuming it's not something that more miles will resolve. I so wish it was easier to find boots that you know will fit and feel good after the break in period.

Kennetreks did me wrong this fall in CO. Similar heel cup issue as you described. Tied them loose they gave me blisters. Tight and they caused some type of bursitis in my heel.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby 7mmfan » 10 07, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:
7mmfan wrote:I like it. I'm still looking for my pair of boots that last that long. Kenetreks are on my short list. I bought a pair of Schnees this year, my first truly high end pair of boots. They heel cup is too short and pinches the back of my heal, leaving me in pretty excruciating pain by the end of the day. I've got about 50 miles on them and they still do it, so I'm assuming it's not something that more miles will resolve. I so wish it was easier to find boots that you know will fit and feel good after the break in period.

Kennetreks did me wrong this fall in CO. Similar heel cup issue as you described. Tied them loose they gave me blisters. Tight and they caused some type of bursitis in my heel.

That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Tried tying them tighter, looser, different tying styles, etc... just cannot get comfortable. At the end of a 10 miler a couple weekends back I could barely limp to the truck. It was bad. I'll be pulling my old boots out of retirement as long as it's dry out. If it's wet, not sure what I'll do at this point.
7mmfan

Postby Tigger » 10 08, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Call Schnees! They will have some advice I bet.
Tigger

Postby Swede » 10 08, 2021 •  [Post 8]

I had a pair of Danners that caused me pain. I took them in and they were fixed within a few minutes. Those boots have been great ever since.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 10 08, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:Call Schnees! They will have some advice I bet.

Good point. I probably should do that before I write them off.
7mmfan

Postby Billy Goat » 10 08, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I'm glad to hear you've gotten so many miles out of those Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I picked up two pair (one 400g, one NI) this offseason and spent a lot of time breaking them in, then hit them with another layer of Obenaufs before packing them.

hope to return with some elk blood on them. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Tom Grates » 10 08, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Trust me, they would say "give me a bath, I stink!!!". I have spent weeks in a tent with Joe, surprised a grizzly from Yellowstone did not venture down to eat them nasty things!
Tom Grates

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Tom Grates wrote:Trust me, they would say "give me a bath, I stink!!!". I have spent weeks in a tent with Joe, surprised a grizzly from Yellowstone did not venture down to eat them nasty things!

And here is proof

2017-06-01 11-26-22.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2021 •  [Post 13]

I have a pair of Lacross 2000 gm. I dont recall where I got them or even when,, Mostly used for late season hiking after coyotes, deer, elk

Joe I plan to build a loading bench,, make a step back and take a pic
Lefty

Postby Jhg » 11 21, 2021 •  [Post 14]

I just ordered a pair of the mountain extremes. This last late rifle elk in the mountains was final proof danner pronghorns cannot handle the typical conditions met daily, whether terrain or moisture seen while elk hunting.
I had put off trying the Kenetreks for several years. As it turns out, the toe box design is perfectly suited to my foot shape and they fit at least as well as or better than any boot I have tried.
BTW, I did not save money running lesser boots. They wore out soon and in general did not hold up. 3 pair in six years vs what reasonably would be one pair of the extremes. So ~$225.00 three times = $675.00 danners vs ~$450.00 one time kenetreks, a $225.00 savings running the "more expensive" boots.

Then there is the performance difference. Boots that cannot handle terrain encountered require from the hunter more effort, offer only discomfort when comfort wanted, slip on steep slopes, leak and otherwise make a hunt harder.

7834A189-8365-432E-BC3D-779ACEC8BDEA.jpeg
7834A189-8365-432E-BC3D-779ACEC8BDEA.jpeg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Jhg

Postby Lefty » 11 21, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Kind off a messy stack yard there Jhg 8-)
Lefty