Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I missed the shot because!!!!!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I missed the shot because!!!!!!!

Postby Lefty » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I dont miss rifle or shotgun opportunities very often.

And,,,, Well,,, archery thats another story, of book of stories. I admit it Ive missed a few elk,, too many really.
One year my range finder was funky, the bull elk at 17-21 yards ranged at 45.

Then the bull moose at 35 yards. We both moved. I ranged him at 33, drew my bow,, and a sage brush jumped up and grabbed the arrow.
I have plenty of horror stories,, lets hear your story !
A few years back

20151017_075510 (Custom).jpg
20151017_075510 (Custom).jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: I missed the shot because!!!!!!!

Postby wawhitey » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I missed the shot because blah blah blah not my fault (insert valid excuse here).
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 3]

It was the damn safetys fault!!!
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 4]

The sun was in my eyes!
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 08 15, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I had a clear view of a broadside bull at 30 yards. Its head was behind a heavy bush and it had no idea I was in the country. After ranging the critter, I drew back and released my arrow. I forgot to take into consideration the arc of the arrow which struck a limb at the apex of its flight. At least I got my arrow back.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Many moons ago, I missed a really nice Roosey Bull. I don't believe I carried a range finder at that point, but, not so sure I had the time to range this guy anyway. I was calling for a guy and once the bull started coming in a bit, stop and turn broadside giving me a shot, I realized that the guy I was calling for was not gonna shoot (found out later that he did not have a clear shot). A quick range estimate was made and my old Darton Viper (shooting w/fingers back then, shooting fencepost Easton GG 2219s) launched a well placed arrow. I didn't see the arrow hit, but, thought is was a solid hit from the bulls reaction. After the guy I was hunting with came down my way, we sat for a good 20 minutes before I moved to the spot the bull was standing. Found my arrow embedded in the hillside, no blood. Physically checked the distance (paced it off) and it was a hair under 50 yards; I had guestimated the range at 40.... I barely shot right under that elk. The line was good though ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Tigger » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I missed a rooster last year when my muscles flinched. mIssed by 4 feet at least. Recovered and got it on the second shot, but never had that happen before.
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:I missed a rooster last year when my muscles flinched. mIssed by 4 feet at least. Recovered and got it on the second shot, but never had that happen before.

Shoot a trad bow for very long and you'll experience it again!

I missed a very tall 4x4 mule deer with my recurve because I set up wrong, I miss judged the range, and I didn't force my brain to slow down and do things the right way once I hit full draw. I don't know which was more responsible for the miss... but that buck haunts me.

I missed another (maybe bigger) two days later, because he lunged forward to run right as I let go of the string. That one was entirely a mistaken stalking route. Should have had a clear shot when he stood up, but I picked the wrong high point in the buck brush and had to try to shoot him walking once he cleared some brush.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby 7mmfan » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Oh my gosh where do I start?

Up until I was about 25 most of my rifle misses were due to buck fever. BAD buck fever. I once, no twice, missed broadside mule deer bucks 4 shots in a row. One of those times I tried to reload my chapstick for a full 10 seconds before I realized it wasn't a bullet. Finally got that bullet in and dropped him.

I missed a buck with my bow that did a full Matrix flip and lunge before my arrow even got to him. Shot over a cow on a steep uphill shot, shot over a buck on a steep downhill shot. I can say that I've never had a branch deflect an arrow.

In more recent years, I've calmed down and learned to make much better rifle shots. Last year I killed 3 animals with 3 shots. My only miss in the last 10 years or so was a very steep downhill rifle shot that I shot over the buck. Luckily for me there was a much bigger buck in the next draw over that I didn't miss...
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 10]

wawhitey wrote:The sun was in my eyes!

Not vey original :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :o :o

but there was this one buck,, and hundreds of geese,,,,
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Swede wrote:I had a clear view of a broadside bull at 30 yards. Its head was behind a heavy bush and it had no idea I was in the country. After ranging the critter, I drew back and released my arrow. I forgot to take into consideration the arc of the arrow which struck a limb at the apex of its flight. At least I got my arrow back.

Solid proof their folks, tree stand hunting is boring :lol: ,,, Swede only has one twig story
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 08 16, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Found these on my old Photobucket account

My 7th day ever archery elk hunting. 2010. Im just going to say the background could have been identifiable by anyone who had been here, I was an idiot trying to be so smart hunting out of a box blind. I've cried about this before( years ago.) on this forum.
At this time, before my shoulder was rebuilt, I was shooting 45lbs and didnt shoot much, The pain was quite annoying.

A really neat location and the only water for miles.

I missed the shot,,, on two huge bulls; very huge,,, because they walked behind me 14 yards ( and down wind) I didnt have a shooting hole in the back side of the blind. I was looking out front, all 8 bulls hung around for 10 minutes and I wasnt about to try shooting though barbed wire. Wow how I wish I had all the photos from that night ( real camera). Or even the opportunities I had those first years.
This was an incredible location
I took my daughters and neighbor girl out there, they shot lots of Hungarian partridge,

My first trail camera, (8) size D batteries for 5000 pictures of birds
And my first trophy picture: a gamebird right in front of the trail cam, a coyote 40 yards back and the rancher in his white truck in the background

elkatblindSmall.jpg
elkatblindSmall.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

Ooops and here is the original photo . I had followed these two bulls in the dark, and they went quiet. I was pinned down by three cows and a couple coyotes. It was my last day to hunt, I had cell reception, called my wife to tell her I was going to go shoot a cow elk. I did shoot that cow.. With my pack loaded I walked past these bulls for the third time that day before jumping them under 30 yards, dumped my pack, pulled out my camera and got this shot when they were 35(?) yards away

smallbullsafterthehunt.jpg
smallbullsafterthehunt.jpg (15.81 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Lefty