Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Healthy Debate

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Healthy Debate

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 1]

I just want to point out that there are real benefits to healthy debates on the forum. Passionate debates over hunting styles, techniques, and equipment help to inform forum members and lurkers alike. We all have our own experiences, bias and capacity that shapes our thinking. By speaking up readers get to read about different hunting ideas and can choose what they believe best meets their needs.
I would like to encourage more people to engage if they can without being nasty. I enjoy the discussion, and appreciate people like Tigger and WW being so willing to speak up.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Healthy Debate

Postby 7mmfan » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I disagree and you're a jerk if you think otherwise! What were we talking about? Tree stands suck! :)
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I see I have posted over 8,800 times on this forum. That means I have repeated everything I know at least 10 times. Still my work here is not done. Blame it on slow learners.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 4]

8851 times we have read your blather just hoping...praying...for a nugget of wisdom. Well, maybe it is yet to come! :shock:

And I am with 7mm on this one. Tree stands suck!! Take that!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Healthy debate is becoming a lost art. Many of todays 20-30 somethings grew up in households and a school system where disagreements were avoided or shut down entirely and never allowed to run their course. Kids never learned how to disagree and talk it out expressing varying points of view and developing the skills to have a non-confrontational debate. Instead, they just shut down, get mad, call names, etc... Unfortunately I see it every day with people I work with.

I'll admit, I am very non-confrontational. I will take a lot of abuse just for the sake of not creating a scene or an uncomfortable situation. I will also get very defensive if someone argues with me over things that I know (in my opinion) to be right. The key I've learned to successful debates and arguments is to be a master of the subject at hand. You wouldn't come to a gun fight with a stick, so don't start a debate with feelings instead of facts. That is why I often don't participate in many of the threads on here, because I'm a newbie in the big scheme of things. I have thoughts and feelings on calling for example, but no real world examples or facts to back them up with. I've called in exactly 2 elk, and have scared away many more than that trying to call. I do enjoy reading your guys' healthy debates on the subject though, I feel like I can glean some real nuggets of information from them.

I need to get myself a copy of Swede's book, as I have been thinking about doing more tree stand hunting, specifically for blacktail. I have some great clear cuts that I know are lousy with deer that you cannot see into. But if I got 25' up in the air I could see a significant amount of them. Anyway, back on track.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I try to follow one simple rule that works for me. In these discussions I write about what I have seen and experienced. If I write about something on rare occasion that I have only heard about or think just might work, I make that clear. It does not matter to me what WW or Saddlesore or others have seen. I respect their experience, but it does not change mine one iota. Never worry about sharing Your experiences. It may be important to identify where you were and the season. e.g. September, western Wyoming, or November, south central Oregon.
I also never worry about the slow learners who are easily confused. There is always that 10% that just never understand. At least they know who they are.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I would love to share a real campfire with some of you guys. It would be fun to discuss elk and elk hunting. In a situation like that, it is often best to sit and listen. that is another thing the younger generations don't do well at. Listening. better to be assumed a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Plus I am pretty sure I could keep Swede distracted long enough for 7mm to get the joke set up.
Tigger

Postby Billy Goat » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Tigger wrote:I would love to share a real campfire with some of you guys. It would be fun to discuss elk and elk hunting. .

agree! an actual campfire with yall would be pretty cool. :)

I have never met any of you face to face, and expect we're both worse off for that.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby 7mmfan » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 9]

Tigger wrote:I would love to share a real campfire with some of you guys. It would be fun to discuss elk and elk hunting. In a situation like that, it is often best to sit and listen. that is another thing the younger generations don't do well at. Listening. better to be assumed a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Plus I am pretty sure I could keep Swede distracted long enough for 7mm to get the joke set up.

Share all your Wyoming points with me next year and we can get that done! We'll just have to rope Swede up and put him in the trunk.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I have no problem with a good healthy debate. Trouble is, they to often go off on a tangent and sometimes someone gets their feelings hurt.

We all know who the jokers are on this site. But a new comer to the site may not. So be careful what you say even if it is all in fun. Maybe even put a smiley at the end so the new guys will know it is all in fun!! :D :D :D :D :D ;) :lol:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2021 •  [Post 11]

Good point WW. I don't do that much. I always think people know what I mean, but written works usually carry no expression.
Swede

Postby saddlesore » 06 19, 2021 •  [Post 12]

There is good discussion, there a healthy debate, and then there is a time when you just got say that is all bull feces.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Mom ,, Swedes saying mean things again!!
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 06 19, 2021 •  [Post 14]

7mmfan wrote:I disagree and you're a jerk if you think otherwise! What were we talking about? Tree stands suck! :)

Some sound advise,,,, :lol:
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H