Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Are you really gonna eat that?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Are you really gonna eat that?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Kippered snacks, a can of Stagg chili, odd sandwich concoctions, yesterday’s hot pocket, sushi? What have you seen your hunting partner (or even YOU) pull out of the pack around noon in the elk woods and commence gnawing on something that is, in a word, stranger than fiction.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Are you really gonna eat that?

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Woah woah woah, are you slandering kippered herring? You wanna fight or something? Dont be badmouthing my kipper snacks
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 3]

wawhitey wrote:Woah woah woah, are you slandering kippered herring? You wanna fight or something? Dont be badmouthing my kipper snacks

Ha, hit a nerve with that one. I actually like the old kipper snacks, just setting the stage for perhaps, some of the out of the ordinary lunch snacks that appear on the mountain.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Okay okay, but dont go sayin nothin bad about sardines either
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Yer on thin ice
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Im probably that guy eating weird stuff though. I get up at camp and a typical breakfast for me is an avacado and a couple tins of sardines or kippered herring with some olives. When im camping near my truck anyway, which is most of the time. Keep a fillet knife and plastic cutlery in my rig. Paper bowls. Chop up an avacado and dump a couple tins of fish in the bowl with it, and some olives. Throw stinky fish cans etc in 2.5 gal ziploc and keep that in my cooler so i dont stink up the truck. Its a pretty foolproof system.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I’m starting to unravel why you’re so lethal on bruins and cats. You’re attracting them with your lunch break canned fish snacks! :lol:
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Not so lethal lately. Finally got to hunt bears, but screwed up my back at work. Figured i could tough it out. Got a few days of hunting in, finally found a great spot, woke up in my tent in agony. Pain cranked up to 10. Could barely walk 50 yards to my truck. Been laid up in bed since. Spring bear permit wasted.
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 9]

wawhitey wrote:Not so lethal lately. Finally got to hunt bears, but screwed up my back at work. Figured i could tough it out. Got a few days of hunting in, finally found a great spot, woke up in my tent in agony. Pain cranked up to 10. Could barely walk 50 yards to my truck. Been laid up in bed since. Spring bear permit wasted.

WTH? What’s going on.
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Getting old? I dunno. All i know is this sucks. After tweaking my back at work i should have just laid low, but i had a spring bear permit in my pocket and less than 2 weeks to fill it, so i convinced myself i could tough it out. Bad idea
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 11]

I feel ya dog. Been to that show, got the T shirt. Heal quickly.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 12]

I have taken sardines to my tree stand and had canned salmon in camp. There is no way to get rid of the scent. I suppose it would be good if I was bear hunting, but I have never tried to shoot a bear. I have another tag for 2021, but I usually get one just to have an excuse to continue hunting. Tigger holds out to kill a big bull. After I have my elk, I am just killing time and observing things.

Whitey, get well soon so you can continue to do you part in keeping the bear and cat populations in check. Best wishes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 06 15, 2021 •  [Post 13]

Swede wrote:I have taken sardines to my tree stand and had canned salmon in camp. There is no way to get rid of the scent. I suppose it would be good if I was bear hunting, but I have never tried to shoot a bear. I have another tag for 2021, but I usually get one just to have an excuse to continue hunting. Tigger holds out to kill a big bull. After I have my elk, I am just killing time and observing things.

If ya like canned salmon, canned smoked salmon will knock your socks off. Tonka seafoods in petersburg sells canned smoked sockeye. Can order it online. I picked some up when i went up there recently. It aint cheap by any means, but its a fantastic product, well worth the price. I dont work for them and stand nothing to gain by promoting their product. Its just really damn good.
Whitey, get well soon so you can continue to do you part in keeping the bear and cat populations in check. Best wishes.
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 06 16, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Dont know if this counts, but 2 of us convinced our third buddy to chew on some pine sap saying it was nature's gum. We deserved an Oscar Award for how we slow played it. Scared every elk for 400 yards we were laughing so hard, but it was worth it. 4 hours later...."my mouth still tastes like Sh&% and is sticky".....another fit of laughter!
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 06 16, 2021 •  [Post 15]

Canned smoked oysters. My one hunting friend ate them everyday. No matter where he ways you could smell him. I suppose elk could too. I try not to eat any overly spicey smelly food. A person excretes those smells thru their pores
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 16]

I love kippered snacks, but not while hunting. I have some great memories of french bread, cheese, and kippered snacks with fresh cooked trout next to a high mountain lake.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby 7mmfan » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 17]

Man. I'm boring. I don't eat much that I think most people would bock at. I love canned salmon, I can about 100 pints of it a year. I eat 2 or 3 a week. Canned smoked is a whole nother animal, and it is delicious. I prefer to can mine with jalapenos and fresh cracked pepper, man they're tasty.

When I'm hunting, I carry a big block of summer sausage and cheese with me, lots of nuts, and a couple candy bars. Sometimes an apple or orange but the apples always end up bruised and I don't like bruised apples. I'm going to dehydrate a bunch of strawberries this year and try having those in my pack to snack on.

I'm getting off track of the original intent of this post though, so I'll digress.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 18]

I have yet to see anyone post a funky food?
Oops bear on bait nye
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 06 17, 2021 •  [Post 19]

I just lost that last post imma go to sleep it was a sow and her little Cub that came in I'm interrupted me earlier I'll report in the morning
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H