Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ticks

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ticks

Postby wawhitey » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Caught 8 crawling around on me yesterday. Woke up this morning, hop in the shower and find #9 latched tenaciously to my shoulder. Maybe a total of about 20 ticks so far this year. The worst year i rcall was 2016. Got 72 ticks on me in one morning spring bear hunting.

Anybody here have it as bad or worse? What do you use? I didnt treat my clothes this year, but normally ill soak them in permethrin in the spring. Started doing that in 2016 after the 72 tick day. Ill also tuck my undershirt in, maybe tuck my pants into my socks like a doofus, or just wear gaiters. But this year i just havent bothered. Probably oughta do the permethrin thing before i go back out in a couple weeks. It really does seem to help.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Ticks

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 2]

If I’m not caring about smell (shed hunting mostly) I spray mosquito spray all over. Spray a ton on my pants and legs. Usually that helps quite a bit
Elkhunttoo

Postby Lefty » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Had great fun one time when I had to get 21 ticks off my wife. :twisted: Laying in the grass in our back yard

When I was young mushroom hunting we stripped down after every outing.... A close friend of my brothers got Lyme disease ,, took a long time to figure it out..
My daughter just bought a tick picker for the dogs,,,.. :?

Those things are nasty , I had a picture of a wolf loaded with ticks, hundreds and hundreds on its neck and head, So many around its eyes Im surprised it could see
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 05 25, 2021 •  [Post 4]

One year we camped at Lake Sakakawea state park in ND. Went for a 2 mile walk through the prairie and some trees. At the 1 mile mark, I look down and see about 15 ticks racing up my pant leg. The other leg had more. They were everywhere. We got back and literally picked a pie tin half full off the dog. Hundreds and hundreds of them.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 05 25, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I hate those things. We don't have to deal with them much in western Wa, but when I lived on the east side of the state it was bad. Before I learned about it, I took the pup out shed hunting, and when we got back I found one on my head. I checked me out thoroughly and then went to the dog. Picked 25 off her.

Now I religiously use Permethrin, and it works wonders as far as I'm concerned. The dog gets flea and tick meds and I spray her with picaradin, seems to make a big difference for her.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 25, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Here in TX you can pick them up year round. I am always applying permethrin to my hunting clothes after every few outings. I spray the crap out of the pants especially, and I haven't gotten a tick yet doing that.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby DirtyErn » 05 27, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I buy Permethrin on Amazon. 10% solution for $25 ish for a quart. Mix it 19 to 1. Spray that stuff on everything. Dog , dog bed, truck , tent etc
DirtyErn

First Name: Ernie
Last Name: O