Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Why???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Why???

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 21, 2021 •  [Post 1]

Why did you come and check out wapiti talk?

And why don’t you post more?
Elkhunttoo

Re: Why???

Postby saddlesore » 05 21, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I needed some new elk calls and the CD's that Elknut sells.
I don' t post more because it is hard to type due to arthritus in my hands and young folks don't want to hear much from us old farts
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 05 21, 2021 •  [Post 3]

RJ stole me from another forum :lol: I work two jobs and have a family. Only so much time to post!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2021 •  [Post 4]

saddlesore wrote:I needed some new elk calls and the CD's that Elknut sells.
I don' t post more because it is hard to type due to arthritus in my hands and young folks don't want to hear much from us old farts
Some of us not as old as you do like to hear from you
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 05 21, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Paul had posted on another forum he was starting his own forum.
I was a newbie archery elk hunter.
I also knew Elknut had a lot to offer and knew what he was talking about.
I liked his style, so I moved over.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 05 22, 2021 •  [Post 6]

It is a long story, but I came here with Elknut. Later I helped start another forum, but was posting here a little, then came back with RJ. RJ has treated me well and I like the jerks that I get to harass here. I appreciate the likes of all of you but Saddlesore, WW, Rammont, RJ and other senior hunters add have a perspective that goes back decades. They know what works and what is hype.
Even though there are several senior hunters here our thoughts on elk hunting are not all the same because we have not had all the same experiences. We don't do everything the same. That is especially good for newer hunters to understand so as you read different posts, you can sort through different ideas and apply them to your unique situation.

Note to Saddlesore. Your post reminds me of the time a newer husband said to his wife; "why can't you love me just the way I am?" Her reply was; "just because I love you as you are, does not mean I have abandoned all hope for your improvement." In case you missed it; I love old curmudgeons, but that does not mean I won't argue with you. I would think we would have a great time together in hunting camp. Anyway rub on some more Ben Gay and keep on posting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 23, 2021 •  [Post 7]

I'm here because RJ is a great guy and I respect him highly. Hope we can meet in person some day.

P.S.: I also enjoy harassing Swede :lol: Old fogies are allowed to do that ya know!
>>>---WW---->

Postby ishy » 05 23, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Always loved Paul's information. I'm all about learning and this sight has way more teaching combined with far less pissing contests that dominate most hunting sights.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 05 23, 2021 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:P.S.: I also enjoy harassing Swede Old fogies are allowed to do that ya know!

I get it. It is fair.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 23, 2021 •  [Post 10]

A long time ago I was on a few hunting forums. My favorite one died out and the company shut it down. The others were not run well at all. Just trash on all of them so I just wasn’t on any forums for a few years. One day I got to thinking there just had to be a good one out there, which lead me to wapiti talk :D !!! Best elk hunting forum on the web ran by great guys that love elk and elk hunting!!!

I should post more but some days I just can’t think of anything. I know the last few years up hunting I will have an experience and one of my first thoughts is “that would make a great topic on the old wapiti talk” then I forget by the end of the season

Thanks to RJ and all of those that help out on this site...I hope to see it continue to grow and do my part to share the love of elk.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Tigger » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 11]

i cant remember exactly how i found it. But I did and I am glad i did. I really enjoy lobbing grenades at Swede. Saddlesore, I also enjoy your contributions. I really like that we don't have drama. Plenty of places to find that if'n that is what you want. Great elk hunting info and thought provoking scenarios float around here and that is hard to find.
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 12]

Tigger wrote:i cant remember exactly how i found it. But I did and I am glad i did. I really enjoy lobbing grenades at Swede. Saddlesore, I also enjoy your contributions. I really like that we don't have drama. Plenty of places to find that if'n that is what you want. Great elk hunting info and thought provoking scenarios float around here and that is hard to find.

The drama thing is real. Most posts on other forums I frequent devolve into chaos almost immediately. The few times that I've seen guys try to start it here, everyone just ignores them and they go away. I like that. I've been trying that with my 3 year old lately, not working yet.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 13]

I was using my googlefu to learn how to call elk, because what I'd been doing wasn't working. I stumbled across this place, and just... never left.

As for why I don't post more... I am trying my best to keep this place lively!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Lefty » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 14]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:I was using my googlefu to learn how to call elk, because what I'd been doing wasn't working. I stumbled across this place, and just... never left.

As for why I don't post more... I am trying my best to keep this place lively!

Ive met others in the woods and field,..
My neighbors only lurks.
I haven't seen two fellas post in a couple years I met at thier camp .
NewJersyDiverDan met him on the trail
The solo hunter I called in this year from New Hampshire,,, you still out there?

And I'm challenging the pair that shared our camp for a few nights to share.
Lefty

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 15]

I’m here because I have to be :D. What an absolute pleasure it is to be able to talk elk hunting (as well as discuss other hunting and campfire topics), pretty much daily, with all the WapitiTalk.com members. I honestly can’t think of anything I look forward to more than to check in on WapitiTalk each day (well, I guess maybe hunting elk is better) to read the recent discussions. For those of you who don’t know, here’s the history of our forum in a nutshell.

Forum was established 11 May, 2012 by Paul Medel as the Elknut Forum. It was and still is, arguably the best elk hunting forum on the NET thanks to our great members who really enjoy sharing their many, many years of experience. There’s a good handful of current members that have been here since the beginning. Elknut, .>>>---WW-->, yours truly, Indian Summer, Swede, otcWill, JJOverkill, Lefty, Trophyhill, wawhitey, ABQ_Chica, Trumpkin the Dwarf, Elkduds, Slim9300, and a good handful of others that joined that first year and are still quite active on the site.

At some point in the fall of 2015, Paul (Elknut) called me and asked me if I would like to assume ownership of the Elknut forum. I was one of his moderators and spent quite a bit of time on the forum but wasn’t so sure I wanted to completely take the reins on such an active and successful forum. After chewing on it a bit (and running it past Mrs. WapitiTalk), I responded to Paul with a hearty “yes sir”, I’d love to try and lead this huge herd into the future. Here’s the thread where Elknut announced that he was promoting me to head cook and bottle washer so you don’t think it was a hostile takeover, ;). viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6747. I was excited when a few of the seasoned members/hunters agreed to be moderators on the brand spanking new WapitiTalk.com forum… they do a GREAT job and make my job much easier (they work pretty cheap and almost always behave). I went to work on securing (and still do weekly) top shelf advertising sponsors, changed up and added some new forums to augment the main Elk Hunting forum, and worked closely with my super smart web guy to give the forum a bit of a new look. Currently, we have over 3300 members on WapitiTalk, from all over the map (ages ranging from 17 up to mid-70s), and I receive new member requests each week; we continue to grow. The Elknut, Paul Medel, continues to be active on the forum and will always be part of it…. You’ll notice that I keep the Elknut Tips and Clips flying high. The Elknut Tips and Clips and the Archived Tips forums have enough quality information in those threads to absolutely shorten the learning curve for newer elk hunters.

As always, I thank Elknut for starting this forum up way back in 2012 and thank him for giving me the opportunity to keep what he started rolling down the road. Lastly, this site is nothing without the great members we have; I thank all of you for keeping our humble forum informative, clean (rated PG), educational, and even a bit humorous on occasion. Indian Summer, Lefty, Swede, and Tigger (our forum MODs)… I thank you for doing what you do every day..... in closing I just want to say whichever one of you jerks that took the WapitiTalk corporate jet out of the hanger last weekend, please return it ASAP! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 16]

I would bring in the corporate jet, but Lefty got airsick on our trip and I can't find anyone who will clean it up at a reasonable price. I think Lefty should pay, but he argues that it was my fault for flying through the worst turbulence he has ever encountered. Don't tell anyone, but Tigger and I saw turbulence on our weather map. We went 100 miles out of our way just to give Lefty the special experience.
Swede

Postby Elkhunttoo » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 17]

So what I just learned is that I missed out on 4 years of good elk chatter...no wonder I missed that bull I shot at last year :(
Elkhunttoo

Postby Billy Goat » 05 24, 2021 •  [Post 18]

I started looking for elk wisdom when I got into it in ~2008. I found and joined several forums, including the elknut forum.

I don't post more often cause I really don't have that much to share.

I have learned enough about elk to know that I don't know enough to offer much counsel.

so I lurk a bunch, trying to gather nuggets of wisdom from those with more experience.
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Tigger » 05 25, 2021 •  [Post 19]

Lefty really deserves to pay. I told him twice not to eat the cheese curds, pig knuckles, pancakes, superhot burrito, and pickled eggs (those eggs didn't look that good). But after he saw Swede do it, he just had to keep up. However, the Cheeto mess is all Indian Summers. 4 bags? Yep, in our short flight, he downed most of 4 bags (the rest of the content of the bags is in the seats).

I would like to commend Swede, Lefty and Indian Summer on the outstanding job they did cleaning up Big Red. I don't think RJ even knows it was gone.

This is going to be a tough Elktember for me this year. I am going to rely upon WapititTalk as my fix for archery elk hunting. Don't let me down boys!
Tigger