Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Lost knife stories

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Lost knife stories

Postby Lefty » 04 22, 2021 •  [Post 1]

"Once had to crawl on hands and knees across a plowed field to find that thing when I forgot to fasten my belt after taking a whizz."
Well we heard one of Tiggers lost knife stories. Im sure there are others.

The knife my father in law gave me use to spend time on my belt(now it stays in the side pocket on my pack. )
I had desperate need to take a "Gunderson" ( named after a friend, hunting buddie and game warden of my father in laws :lol: ) along the railroad track along the Klickitat River bottoms. I didnt even realize it was gone. The following Saturday walking the rail track there it was for the world to see,..Evidently nobody else hunts there 8-)

I bought a little 1 1/2 double folding pocket knife for school , to beat others in grade school mumbly-peg: eventually to clean squirrels and muskrats , and gut a few white-tail deer. , When relatively new I stuck it in a log while cleaning a squirrel.
I never remembered what I did with the knife. I thought it was lost for sure. Sometime later entering the same woods there the knife was; glowing in the woods, a trophy like no other

I still have that knife

imagesdddd.jpg
imagesdddd.jpg (5.12 KiB) Viewed 786 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Lost knife stories

Postby saddlesore » 04 22, 2021 •  [Post 2]

I have lost knives all over Colorado
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Lost knife stories

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I had been butchering an elk at night when I sat my Buck skinning knife down. I thought I knew exactly where it was. When I looked to use it again, it was gone. I looked all over for it and finally got out another knife to finish the job. The next morning I went in to pack out the remainder of the elk and pick up my knife. The elk was there all right, but I could not find that knife. I looked for a couple of hours. I packed out the elk and took it to the cooler in town. I went back and searched and searched for that knife. After several trips in there, I gave up and went home. The next summer I went over there to do some scouting and again, I found nothing. Finally hunting season was fast approaching and I went back with my cousin and his friend. The friend was stirring the ground with a stick where I said I thought it should be and he uncovered it. It was as good as new. It is still my favorite knife and keep a closer eye on it now.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics