Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Not So True Truisms

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Not So True Truisms

Postby Swede » 03 08, 2021 •  [Post 1]

What are some truisms you read or heard, that turned out to not be true?

A wounded deer or elk will head downhill to water is one that comes to mind. Elk generally try to follow the herd they were with, but wounded animals can go any directions they want. It does not matter how badly they are wounded.
Moss grows on the north side of the tree. Well maybe, but it can grow all around the tree, too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Not So True Truisms

Postby Tigger » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Shoot on the first day what you would shoot on the last day!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 3]

They are where you find them. I have found more often than not that I find them where they are. Totally different scenario.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 4]

As I think of Tigger's truism, I am reminded it is dependent on the species, time, and place you hunt. On a 5 day OTC elk hunt, I think the truism is solid. I have hunted where the season is essentially over after the first morning, unless you were permitted to hunt private land. On our 30 day archery hunts, you can hold out in some areas if you have the patience to wait for a better animal, and are willing to go home empty handed if you misjudge.
The point I see here is that some truisms are only true for some things at some times, etc.
Swede

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Here is another not so true truism. Deer and elk bed earlier in the day when the moon is full. I have also heard the opposite. I find no basis for either of these truisms.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 6]

Take your first best shot
Elk are not deer Dont hunt elk like Whitetails ,,, just not a totally blanket statement

Always hunt up wind of Swede Ive found hunting 700 miles away nearly as effective
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:Elk are not deer Dont hunt elk like Whitetails ,,, just not a totally blanket statement

That is very true Lefty. You are right on target. Hunting Whitetails is a great place to start and some of the things I read from Whitetail tree stand hunters, I still use. There are differences, but if you are a good Whitetail tree stand hunter, you have the basics and can get elk. Just don't call from your stand as a rule of thumb. I do on a few occasions, but you would be better off totally silent than going off at the wrong time
Swede

Postby Tigger » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 8]

7mmfan wrote:They are where you find them. I have found more often than not that I find them where they are. Totally different scenario.

A Randy Newberg quote! I think I lean toward the "you find them where they are" camp too, but as with anything, it isnt 100%.

I bet there are a lot of people, Swede included for sure, who are scratching their head trying to figure out what they heck that means!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 9]

There are many things that are hard to find or are not found. Finding them "where they are" is problematic. I would agree with you can only find them where they are, but the trouble is, where are they?
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:There are many things that are hard to find or are not found. Finding them "where they are" is problematic. I would agree with you can only find them where they are, but the trouble is, where are they?

Swede, they are where they are, now go find them!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 03 10, 2021 •  [Post 11]

I know they are where they are, but they are not where they were. They left only their calling card with no forwarding address.
Swede