Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Question for the Dads

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Question for the Dads

Postby GoGriz1234 » 03 05, 2021 •  [Post 1]

A question for all the Dads out there. I have two kids, a five year old boy and a two year old girl. We spend a lot of time outdoors but haven’t done a lot of hiking or camping just yet. Knowing that everyone and every situation is different, what did getting your kids into hunting, longer hikes and backpack camping look like for your family? I am going to do some test hikes with the five year old this year and see how far in we can get, while still keeping it fun. Looking for some sage advice from those who have been there, done that.

Thanks all!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Question for the Dads

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 2]

My wife was her dads outdoors partner.
We had three daughters
And I was a SPED, Shop, Tech Ed and taught at the State hospital.
Scoutmaster, attended 13 church girls camps, and spent our time in the outdoors

Plain and simple: Kids want to be with their Parents it really doesn't matter what is going on

The main thing is get out their and do it. My daughters were on dozens of hikes camps and hunts before their first birthday. Looking back at pictures nearly all our family pictures we were doing something outside
There is not an age limit as to when to start.
Our oldest likely spend 40 Friday nights a year in the tent or boat ( kept the tarp on the boat and the floor was big enough for us,) Make sure they have the proper clothes and gear.
Our daughters grew up not knowing any different. We had a backpack for our kids when very young. Walking in the woods checking a handful of traps, hunting the skid road deer, road hunting for grouse,..

I have listened to dozens of kids that ( literally cried) wanted to be in the outdoors with their parents.

I had one native girl at age 14 drew a coveted reservation hunt she hunted once with her grandmother, then drew good hunts the next few years and she lost her desire at 17, then she went the wrong way.
Another student saved a younger kids life and was given a packing trip for his family or church youth group or outfitted hunt ( is the outfitter a lurker on here? tell us your side of Hunters story))

Young kids are not full blown adults.
And as a scoutmaster and adult scouter for 25 years. you need to follow the scout motto. Be prepared,
Now my girls hunted with us hiked and camped ( not at campgrounds).
Dont over do it, do not totally wear them out. If they are hiking,.. maybe all you go is a mile, your not going in 6 miles and 2000 feet,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 3]

I just picked up my 8 year old grand daughter. I asked my daughter your questions.
Her answer was just do it!

Then she added dont over do it, stay comfortable.

Julie takes Rylee everywhere. They somehow ended up with their own private tent camping on a ranch where they tent camp, fish and play in a stock pond ( before cows are in the pasture. Rylee was in elk camp and deer hunted with me. Just realize when taking youngsters it is about them not the dead game. Shed hunting has been a big deal. And what kind of mother takes an kid into the mountains for an over nighters and campfires for marshmallows and hotdogs 8-)

My daughters growing up probably were on more hunts than most hunters. Camped more than most people ever do and hiked places that many dont get to in a life time.
We were lucky and lived a 10 minute ATV ride to deer hunt, and a mile plus to waterfowl hunting and trapping.
As far as camping ( or any outdoor activity) I cant stress how important it is to have what kids need, and they need to stay warm.
The cheapo Burt and Ernie sleeping bag,.. the Little Mermaid sleeping bag, both were used inside a real adult bag.
For hiking make sure your kids help with the selection of what goes in their back pack. Their treats and snacks, make that part of the hike. And somethings as an adults' you need to make the choice. My example is the girls camps and scout camps Ive been on too many rally arent prepared properly.
One thing to build excitement: let them camp in their bedroom, maybe getting ready for camping is sleeping in their sleeping bag. For fun "practice building fires in the back yard.

Back off on your list of expectations, make the trip about them. I could go on but then Ill start ranting about how mess up (selfish) some parents are :x
Im many ways this is simpler than you think
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 4]

I just reread your post. two year-old daughter brought a chuckle. Our daughters always tried to find a white rock ( stone) to pee on.

Camping ( and other outdoors activity are great learning tools for life
Youngest. when in 7th grade She planned the hunt, the camp the food ( we ate in town for breakfast) 9200 foot Wyoming antelope hunt. 22 degrees out
DSC02926Small.jpg
DSC02926Small.jpg (54.68 KiB) Viewed 2192 times

I thought it was a bit wierd but my youngest two daughters enjoye a small fire and camping in the back country in HS.
Dad was often at the trailhead :)
Lefty

Postby GoGriz1234 » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the feedback Lefty!!! I will make sure you keep you advice close as things thaw out and we gear up for a great year of exploring the outdoors.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Lefty » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 6]

GoGriz1234 wrote:Thanks for the feedback Lefty!!! I will make sure you keep you advice close as things thaw out and we gear up for a great year of exploring the outdoors.

You dont need to wait for things to thaw out.
We bundled our kids up and pulled them on the sled.
My dad bundled me up and pulled me on his trapping sled.

All our kids spent time in the pack-pack cross country skiing. Just be very aware that they are always warm.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 03 06, 2021 •  [Post 7]

Kids love to be included. They want to be with their dad, and mom too. They enjoy learning and experiencing new things. Younger kids are in some ways easier then older ones. It is simpler and they are not tied to friends back home. If you need to go on some long hike or other difficult task, have something fun for the kids to do at camp. The time will come when they are ready for more and more adventure. Just keep it fun for them.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Tigger » 03 08, 2021 •  [Post 8]

Agreed with everything so far, but it starts before the outing. Talk it up. Find a TV show or youtube video. Get excited yourself about it and let it show. Count down the days, ask their opinion on equipment and food. Get them invested in the outing, big or small.
Tigger

Postby steviek » 03 09, 2021 •  [Post 9]

I have 2 daughters 6 and 9. One thing I use as an option to hiking or camping trips is fishing. This opens alot of opportunity throughout the summer by making a pond or stream as a final destination.
steviek

First Name: Steve
Last Name: K

Postby ishy » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 10]

I have three daughters now 17,15, and 12. I started all of them at 3D shoots when they could walk. They loved them, but as time went on two turned to the dark side (Mom's) and eventually lost desire to even shoot bows. My middle daughter has always loved the Full Draw Film Tour. It has become a yearly date for us. I kept them all hiking and fishing but the only one that had any desire to hunt was my biggest complainer on any hike to the point we almost quit inviting her. So I hesitated taking her hunting until this year. We bait bears and I thought if I could get her in a tree a few times I figured she would get some action. We are archers, so I had her shoot my muzzleloader until she was proficient at close range and told her I'd get her on a bear if she would pack bait and be up to sitting in a tree stand. Her attitude made 180 degree flip. Well she didn't complain once... other than the bugs. She packed bait, helped hang stands, clear shooting lanes, and made a great shot on her first big game animal. It will always be one of my favorite hunts. I was able to get the whole thing on film too. I guess she just needed a gun in her hands sooner!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11248
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Lefty » 03 13, 2021 •  [Post 11]

ishy wrote: We bait bears and I thought if I could get her in a tree a few times I figured she would get some action.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11248

Fantastic footage , those first w minutes you will really ccoheres in 10, 20, 20 40 years
Lefty