Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How did you get game without shooting or trapping it?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How did you get game without shooting or trapping it?

Postby 7mmfan » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Reading some of Swede's and WW's responses in another thread got me thinking about how sometimes game is bestowed upon us without ever having to fire a shot. Throwing a rock is a close second I guess, but with the low odds of making a rock hit home, I suppose it falls into this category.

My first one is like Swede's and probably like many young guys. I hit one with a rock. Another guy that day did too. I had just graduated high school and was spending the summer working in Skagway AK for Holland American Cruise Lines. A couple of guys and a gal on the crew I worked with invited me to go hike the Chilkoot Trail with them. I knew very little about it other than some research in school regarding the Yukon gold rush. During the hike, we saw a fair amount of game including some deer, a moose, mountain goats and lots of ptarmigan. The discussion of hunting came up and no one in the group had ever hunted or knew anyone that did. Toward the evening of the 2nd day on the trail we came across a large group of ptarmigan and one guy asked if I thought I could get one with a rock. It was worth a try! Him and I snuck in close and I was able to drill one with a tennis ball size rock. I told the other guy to grab a rock and go try to get another one. I watched as he grabbed a rock just small enough for him to get over his head and lob it into the brush, followed by some flapping wings. I rushed over to see if I could help, but it was done, neatly crushed under 20# of rock. He was a little rattled when he settled down but I helped him clean the bird and turn it into food that we enjoyed that night on the shore of Lindeman Lake in the Northwest Territories.

The one that truly fits the bill of this topic happened just a few years ago. A few of us were quail/pheasant hunting in Eastern WA, and had just split up to work through a field and adjacent brush line. I had worked through and was the first back to the truck and was opening the tailgate when I heard a bunch of quail flush nearby. I watched as about 20 quail sailed over the truck and into the orchard next to me. All but 1 made it. One of them hit the hot powerline over head and folded instantly, landing about 10' from me. I rushed over and picked it up assuming it was just shocked, but it was clearly dead as a doornail. I wish I had the budget to get it mounted as it was a beautiful full plumed male.

On the inverse of game given to us with no shots fired, this one is quite humorous and the game got away despite being presumably "in the bag". On the same bird hunting trip, a day or two later, we got in on a big covey and shot numerous birds. Everyone stuffed their respective birds into their vests as we moved along. Probably an hour after the last shot was fired, we made it back to the truck and were emptying birds out for a final count. My friend pulled 3 birds out of his vest and laid them on the tailgate and one of them leapt off and onto the ground, flopped away for a second and then took off flying across the road and out of sight! We all stood there looking at each other dumbfounded and laughing our butts off! That poor bird must have just been stunned and then got to ride around in a nice warm vest for an hour or so before being relocated across the road.

What good stories do you crazy heathens have?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: How did you get game without shooting or trapping it?

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 2]

I was heading up a gravel road one summer, and there was another truck ahead of me. we both came round a bend in the road just as a flock of turkeys ran across. The last one in line ducked low but not low enough to clear the other guys truck hitch. I hit the brakes and decided it looked suitable for thanksgiving dinner. That bird was all sorts of mangled on the back and neck, but all the good eating meat was untouched!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby 7mmfan » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I just remembered another one. 3 years ago I was deer hunting and just driving down a road right at first light. To my right I could see half a dozen pheasant gliding down from the hill above the road, heading for the stubble field across the road. I knew it was going to be close so I was watching them intently. 2 or 3 went right over the hood, and I'm assuming most of the rest went over the top, but I heard one good thump. I looked in the rearview mirror to see one rooster flopping around in the road. I stopped and went back and grabbed him, broken neck and dead as could be. I could see where he hit the canopy, just missing the window thankfully. Left a decent chip in the paint though. Bugger.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Great thread :D. First one that pops up for me was when I was trapping in the old home state of Montana many, many moons ago. A buddy and I were out checking one of my trap lines and I saw a muskrat cruising across some open water, just above a beaver dam. I had my .22 rifle with me as we were checking a few bobcat sets on this walk thru trap line. I remember I didn't want to poke a hole in the muskrat's hide (a big one was worth upwards of 6-7 bucks back then) so I decided to just shoot "by" it in an attempt to try to force it down under and perhaps into one of the underwater sets I had along the bank for rats. "POP" the .22 went, hitting a spot just a few inches from the critter. Well, that fuzzy muskrat flipped over and died on the spot! He slowly floated down to the beaver dam and I collected him.... no hole in the fur at all. We both assumed he'd had a heart attack :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Talked my sister in law into slapping a bison on its rear in Yellowstone,.. first dent in my wifes new car :o
When my dad was young he would pull skunks out of a culvert with barbed wire , but I think he shot them. " Made a mans weekly wage in a day" as a kid
My wifes grandfather when he was 4,5 6 years old it was his job to catch and kill a jackrabbit or sage grouse every day, one for his family and part for the neighbor ladies family. In his journal it was generally his favorite sage stick and they were forced into a sheep fence.
My dad killed a whitetail deer when he was a kid with an ax. WWII No season on deer in that area on Minnesota because they didnt exist. The deer was struck in tree,. He got his picture on the front page of the newspaper.

This is so Idahoan. During the rabbit years my wifes family home evening group( church group) went out and bunny bashed She said she finished off rabbits the guys weren't killing

Ive hand grabbed beaver by the tail, (6?).. , then thumped them with a hatchet. One beaver I caught; a 55 lb by the tail,, really wild. somehow got my rifle out of the case, put my clip in the .22 and finished him before hitting a class 2 rapids in an ice flow

Maybe 8-10 more beaver: I would hit the bank with the boat. ( ok I use to do some really dumb stuff, purely for entertainment and without witnesses). Had enough speed I would jump and clear the bow. run down a beaver on a bank,.. and a tile spade whack. Hardest part was getting the boat back in the water.
Ive missed a couple red fox trying to tail grab them sleeping. They always woke with my hand inches from their tail. I did nearly run a fox nearly down in deep snow and cat tails. IMaybe a good thing I didnt pin him down. At that time I hadnt learned about fox teeth,.. they get bigger , sharper and faster when that close
Thumped muskrat and coon generally with a tile spade, running or sleeping.

One time, wasnt as cool. I was in water above my belly,.coon sleeping on a rat pile, When I hit him it just made him mad. That 1983 $30.00 coon swam faster than I could move through the water, ran back and chased it down with the boat then thumped him. Interesting that same day same lake I got another coon sleeping on a rat pile.
My brother and I had this catch and release thing going on badgers,.. Run em down and pin them to the ground with a tile spade , if they weren't worth skinning we let them go,

Twice Ive slid fox out of forty foot irrigation pipe,.. have picture of one . Pulled another out of a culvert with branches bailing twine and a fence post
Maybe a dozen hen and roster pheasants All in Iowa if that says more about Iowa :lol:

Hooked a blackbear with a blue fox spinner,.. he broke off, but I did get the spinner back.
Netted lots of minnow suckers, chubs and game fish for trapping or fishing bait
Hand grabbed chum, red suckers pink salmon, minnesota green sturgeon, bullheads catfish , and a 17lb northern pike( season wasnt open so I let it go
Ive caught geese with fish nets. Cornered ducks in a thicket of cattails, under docks

I was building a blind to jump on a deer, My brother got quite mad and wouldnt allow the possible attempt.
My goal bucket listis to hand grab a goose
Killed raod hit deer with a hammer twice,.. and once with my hatchet( hammer side).
Do porcupines count,..
Im sure there is more
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Lefty » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I had lots of experience Ka-whoomphing.
Red suckers were spawning on ISLE royal.
Some fellows saw me with a dipnet and like the pied piper they followed me to the bridge and started teasing me. The suckers were grouped up in the deep holes,.. 18 inches of water. . I chided them right back,.. If you clean and carry the fish back to omy camp you can have some when Im done smoking the. I picked up an 8 inch cannon ball rock,.. heaved it into the hole,.. I collected a bunch of stunned fish. Heaved another rock and I had over a dozen suckers.

Sm0ked them up in the campground , where everyone became my friend :lol:

Dip netted lots of ducks and geese.

Mean while I was on the phone with my brother back in MN this morning, before first light here in Idaho. He was at a lakes edge. Looking at a snapping turtle He was going to heel stomp the ice, tail grab a 20 lb snapper, . Guess Ill know tomorrow Every year we got turtles on first good ice along lake shores.
Gatta get ready to chase geese in the AM
Sorry guys its too nice to be inside.
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I killed a grouse with a piece of rebar I found laying along a Forest Service road. I threw and clipped off the grouse's head.
This incident may be one of the best ever: The kill was an antelope. It was the tastiest one I ever had. I did not shoot it, gut it, skin it or anything else. I went in to the butcher shop to pick up my elk. I opened up the large cooler I had, and emptied out two boxes of cut, wrapped and frozen meat that had my name on them. When I got home I started sorting the meat. One part of the freezer space was to be for steak and the other for hamburger. Very quickly I found out I had someone's antelope. I called the butcher shop, but they could not take it back. It was the only antelope I ever had that was actually good, and I got the remainder of my elk too.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 16, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:,,,,It was the only antelope I ever had that was actually good, ,,,,,,.
Was it the only antelope you ever had.
every antelope Ive had taste better than elk,..
Im not ready to get my antelope in the bottom of a cooler, Fun family hunt
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 9]

So my dad was going up to northern MN with my 2 uncles to hunt grouse for the weekend. On the way to meet up with them, he was driving down the road and WHAM! a grouse flew into the side of his truck. He pulled over and put the dead grouse on the passenger floor boards. Driving down the road, he looked over and there was that grouse, sitting on the seat just like he always went for a ride in a truck. THEN the rodeo started. the grouse tried flying around the cab and Dad was trying to catch and kill the grouse all while the truck was driving down the road. He had to pull over, but he said that first minute was quite the circus.

My daughter was about 4-5. We had pocket gophers in our lawn, so I had her help me set out a few traps. One day, we pulled a completely ticked off gopher out of the hole. I grabbed the shovel to give it the death whack and she yelled, "NO DADDY! Don't do it!!!". My heart sank. I wanted her to be an outdoors person. Here she didn't have the heart to watch me whack a gopher. 3 seconds later, she picked up her little pink plastic toy shovel and yelled, "LET ME DO IT!!!" and proceeded to beat that gopher into a pulp. My wife video taped the whole thing!
Tigger

Postby 7mmfan » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote: 3 seconds later, she picked up her little pink plastic toy shovel and yelled, "LET ME DO IT!!!" and proceeded to beat that gopher into a pulp. My wife video taped the whole thing!

:lol:
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:Was it the only antelope you ever had.

I have never hunted antelope, but I have been given antelope from friends and neighbors. Over the years I have noticed that people who offer to bring you some of their game, often have very poor meat that they don't want to eat themselves. Bear meat is the worst. If someone offers you some of their bear meat, as Nancy Reagan advised on drugs, "just say no."

There are lazy or lousy hunters out there that find out about a bear foraging in a garbage dump, or foraging on dead salmon. They will kill it for the trophy and the meat. Personally I do not care how big a garbage dump bear is, or a bear eating dead rotten salmon is; it is no trophy and is not fit to eat. Just my opinion.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:

I have never hunted antelope, but I have been given antelope from friends and neighbors. Over the years I have noticed that people who offer to bring you some of their game, often have very poor meat that they don't want to eat themselves. Bear meat is the worst. If someone offers you some of their bear meat, as Nancy Reagan advised on drugs, "just say no."

There are lazy or lousy hunters out there that find out about a bear foraging in a garbage dump, or foraging on dead salmon. They will kill it for the trophy and the meat. Personally I do not care how big a garbage dump bear is, or a bear eating dead rotten salmon is; it is no trophy and is not fit to eat. Just my opinion.

I think most bear hunters would agree with you. I've only eaten a couple of bears, but they were all absolutely fantastic. They were also all alpine berry fed bears. So berry fed their fat was almost blue.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I must have been 9 or 10 years old at the time when I lashed a stone onto a forked stick. I was really proud of my new tomahawk. So I decided to go hunting with it. I headed of down to the creek bottom below the house. It wasn't long before I found a little water snake about 8-10 inches long. I gave him a couple or three whacks on the head with that tomahawk and stuck him in my front pocket and headed home to show my Mom. Boy was I proud of myself. "My very first kill"!

When I got home, Mom was in the back yard hanging clothes on the line. I reached in my pocket and pulled out that snake and said, "Hey Mom! Look what I got with my new tomahawk"! Well, when I pulled it out of my pocket it started wiggling around and when I dropped it took off and slithered right between my Mom's legs. I thought she was going to faint!!!

But I'll never forget what she said, " You just wait until your Father gets home"!!!!! Hmmmm! I think she told me that several times when I was growing up. :shock: :lol:
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 14]

>>>---WW----> wrote:But I'll never forget what she said, " You just wait until your Father gets home"!!!!! Hmmmm! I think she told me that several times when I was growing up.

That must have been a popular saying with mothers. I remember hearing it on more than one occasion.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 15]

7mmfan wrote:
Swede wrote:

I think most bear hunters would agree with you. I've only eaten a couple of bears, but they were all absolutely fantastic. They were also all alpine berry fed bears. So berry fed their fat was almost blue.

Ill take a mountain bear steak over deer or elk any day.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 12 17, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Never filled my freezer without shooting, but i betcha if i were inclined to do so i could kill my pet doe or her fawn with a hammer. Carrot in the left hand, hammer in the right. Theyre crazy about carrots. Cant hardly go outside to take a leak in the morning without being accosted. Theyre far more aggressive moochers than the junkies in the wally world parking lots
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 19, 2020 •  [Post 17]

7mmfan wrote:
Tigger wrote: 3 seconds later, she picked up her little pink plastic toy shovel and yelled, "LET ME DO IT!!!" and proceeded to beat that gopher into a pulp. My wife video taped the whole thing!

:lol:

Growing them up right :lol:

When we first bought this house we had 4th 5th and 7th grader. We flooded gophers and did gopher stomps if the dogs missed them,..
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 19, 2020 •  [Post 18]

wawhitey wrote:,,,,,,,,,,,, Theyre crazy about carrots. Cant hardly go outside to take a leak in the morning without being accosted. Theyre far more aggressive moochers than the junkies in the wally world parking lots

A double dog dare you to hand grab your red fox friend on the barge.
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 12 21, 2020 •  [Post 19]

I double dog dare wawhitey to grab and hug that doe for as long as you can. I bet you can't make 7 seconds! Video required!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 12 21, 2020 •  [Post 20]

I caught a doe one time. I was logging (setting chokers) at the time behind a D8 cat. The cat was coming back for another turn and right in front of it was several deer. I stood perfectly still until the deer walked on the cat road. I jumped on the third one. I had is down and was on top of it before it knew what hit it. The cat skinner got off and came over with his canteen and poured some water on it. I don't think the water helped it, but it was a kind gesture I guess. I let it go and it caught up with the others. No harm, no foul. I have run down and caught several fawns just to see if I could. No harm no foul I believe.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 12 21, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Tigger wrote:I double dog dare wawhitey to grab and hug that doe for as long as you can. I bet you can't make 7 seconds! Video required!

Theyll never trust me again. Im making friends with the fawn. Only 6 months old but as tame as any deer ive ever had here. Followed me to the woodshed and poked her head inside to see if i had anything good in there. Ill have her eating out of the palm of my hand soon.
wawhitey

Postby Tigger » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 22]

That is super cool. When I was growing up my neighbor had a pet deer. So fun to play with, but it didnt want to be touched. you could tell the instincts were to not let anything touch it. But it was super friendly. is the fawn a buck or doe? Once they get hard antlers, you can never trust a buck. A pet one killed a guy here a year or two ago.
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 23]

Its a doe. Bucks usually disperse anyway unless mom dies when theyre young
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 24]

You better be careful whitey, you're going to get attached to that little bugger and some cat is going to come haul it away and you'll be devastated.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 25]

I ve soloed on getting an antelope and deer out of a fence, a fawn in a concrete ditch was more of a challenge. had help on another deer and antelope
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 26]

I was looking for a picture of my Bronco and found this one, maybe 1990

039.jpg
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 27]

Caught a few mink this way, bait in a bucket , and close the lid

019.jpg
Lefty

Postby Tigger » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 28]

Lefty wrote:I was looking for a picture of my Bronco and found this one, maybe 1990

039.jpg

I would ask you what you are looking at in this photo, but on second thought, I don't want to know!
Tigger

Postby wawhitey » 12 22, 2020 •  [Post 29]

Tigger wrote:
Lefty wrote:I was looking for a picture of my Bronco and found this one, maybe 1990

039.jpg

I would ask you what you are looking at in this photo, but on second thought, I don't want to know!

Its pretty obvious, hes looking at the foxes genitalia. There is no other explanation for that big grin, other than maybe hes thinking about how totally rad his acid washed tapered leg jeans are (and contemplating a hypercolor shirt).
wawhitey

Postby Lefty » 12 23, 2020 •  [Post 30]

Tigger wrote:

039.jpg

Actually I very much remember making sure the feet couldn't make it near me,.. experience sharp teeth are a fraction of a second behind
Lefty

Postby Lefty » 12 23, 2020 •  [Post 31]

thinking about how totally rad his acid washed tapered leg jeans are (and contemplating a hypercolor shirt).[/quote]
1989 stylin :lol:

Did you even exist at that time :shock:
Lefty

Postby wawhitey » 12 23, 2020 •  [Post 32]

Lefty wrote: thinking about how totally rad his acid washed tapered leg jeans are (and contemplating a hypercolor shirt).

1989 stylin :lol:

Did you even exist at that time :shock:[/quote]

Yeah actually i had acid wash jeans when i was a little kid, and no joke my friends dad invented the hypercolor stuff. He was the rich kid at school. I was quite young, but yeah, i did exist. And i had sweet hypercolor gear :lol:
wawhitey

Postby Elkduds » 12 25, 2020 •  [Post 33]

At the end of a a push through a half-mile field of cornstalks in KS, pheasants started flushing. I swung on a rooster, but he disappeared before I could shoot. There was a twanging sound from a finger-thick guy wire angling down from a power pole at the edge of the field by the road. i guess the rooster was so busy watching me, he didn't see the wire when he flushed. He wasn't even flapping after he hit it and fell.

Merry Christmas to one and all @ WT.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott