Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Filled my tag: with the best ever

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Filled my tag: with the best ever

Postby Lefty » 12 05, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Our family tradition to get our own Christmas tree, which doesn't come from a tree lot, super market, nursury or back of a Costco truck. We have gotten Christmas trees from U-picks, even one in Washington state where they shook the needles and wrapped the tree,.
One year a neighbor was thinning a grove and offered trees to the kids and moms at the school bus stop. Then there was the friendly barely able to stand native fellow, who we rewarded with hot chocolate tip. The first year in this house was perfectly shaped landscape blue spruce, yep that tree was decorated with trapping gauntlets.

And dozens of trees on BLM and National forest.
A daughter and granddaughter with covid.

This year we have had little snow, and we have been able to hunt trees at higher elevations.
I had a tree selected, at Holly's pond. And someone cut it . I guess that's public land do it yourself.
This past week I saw covid Christmas tree cutters expand their popularity . Idaho hunting tags were up by 16,000, fishing up by 62,000 too.

I found this dandy on a north facing slope, just 60 yards and 40 foot elevation from the road. The sadest part this was a solo hunt, ,and had to share via text at the time of the pursuit
20201205_102129.jpg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Filled my tag: with the best ever

Postby wawhitey » 12 05, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Ive never had a christmas tree in my house. Every year as a kid in my parents house, but not since i moved out almost 20 years ago. Im thinking of walking my property tomorrow in search of a likely candidate and sticking that sucker in my living room. I just really like the christmas tree smell.

So i should probably know this but i dont. Which trees smell the strongest? Fir or spruce ? Pine? Dont think larch is a good idea...
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 06, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Doug Fir was always the old reliable in our house in Montana.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 12 06, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Does larch have a smell?
As a loo ing ago single guy i decorated a spruce that was in the front yard.
I like the smell of a tree and made a swag from my parents tree and hung it in the house.
I baked bread , made cinnamon rolls and jerky, helped cover the smell of furs in the basement freezers
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Just think of the advantages of a nice Western larch thins time of year.
Lower fire hazard. Easy cleanup after Christmas, no needles falling off, you can decorate easily, and your ornaments show up very well. They are light on the odor part, but surely make up for than shortfall considering the advantages. The only thing I can think of that might be easier to deal with would be a mop in a bucket. You could put a star on top and hang a light off the side. Waa la, you are done.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Swede » 12 06, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I take it all back. I am doing the one thing I can think of that is easier. We are staying home and having no tree. Anyway Lefty, it looks like you have a nice Lodgepole pine.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 12 07, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Last weekend, I grabbed the Sawzall and the kids and I headed out. Picked out a tree and I went to cut it. The saw died about 1/4 inch into the cut. No problems, smart guy that I am, I packed another battery just in case something like that happened! That battery was right off the charger. And it was shot. It gave up the fight right then and there. No charge. So I took out the blade and did it by hand. Kids thought that was funny.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 12 07, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Good memories
Hey remember when the battery died on dad's saw,,,,,,,,

Swede I don't know what king of pine
Talked to guy that had the same kind of tree.
He said 'a nice Christmas tree"

The trees were planted, ,
Did the forest service ever plant lodge pole?
Lefty

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2020 •  [Post 9]

I have never heard of planting Lodgepole pine. We would thin it out. Lodgepole pine comes back profusely after a fire which opens up the seed. The cones look like Lodgepole pine and the short needles too. If I see things right, there are two needles per fascicle. That is also a Lodgepole pine characteristic.
Swede

Postby Lefty » 12 08, 2020 •  [Post 10]

The trees are evenly spaced, in a 25 year old clear cut,
And are not bordering any thickets of lodge pole.

But if lodgepole, my wife likes the tree.

We hunted mixed timber ( fire about 25 years back) that had a 30 50 % lodgepole
A bear had marked and eaten( ?) Hundreds of trees the past two years, whwith pine and bears
Lefty