Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Changes for 2021

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Changes for 2021

Postby 7mmfan » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Before our trip was over in 2020, I had already made a mental list of changes for the following year. Gear, strategy, location, etc... This was the first year that we did a group spike camp. 4 of us biked in 10 miles on an old closed road system. Actually, 3 of us biked, 1 of us walked as his bike blew to pieces not long before the trip, so he was left without wheels. As it turned out, it worked really well for him as my bike trailer carried most of his stuff, including his deer. Changes we'll be making specific to this hunt for 2021 include:

Gear
- One more bike trailer to the mix. 2 of us had trailers, my Dad did not. If we had just one more trailer, it would make gear and meat distribution a lot easier. Maybe could have gotten my elk out in one trip instead of having to come back for a 12 mile round trip the following day to retrieve that meat.

- Larger water bladders. We all had bladders, but failed to realize just how much water you use daily, especially when water isn't readily accessible. For a group of 4 guys, you really need at least a gallon per guy per day to function without limitations. Coffee/tea, hot breakfasts and dinner, drinking water, it all adds up, especially when hunting high elevation in a dry climate. Next year we'll have three or four 10 liter bladders. I will also have a 3 liter bladder I keep in my pack so I can refill my pack water daily while out hunting instead of cannibalizing camp water.

- Tents: I have a nice 4 person teepee with backpacking stove. I was snug as a bug in a rug, even on the cold windy snowy nights. Everyone seemed to want their own sleeping quarters which was fine. My extra space just turned into gear storage. Two of our group quickly realized that their 2 man ultralight backpacking tents were not meant for 8000' in Idaho winter conditions. I see some upgraded 3 or 4 season tents making an appearance next year.

We have been discussing camp locations as well as access and hunt plans as well. Lots of planning and strategizing already happening for next year.

What gear or strategy changes will you be implementing before you step foot in the woods for your 2021 hunting extravaganza?
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: Changes for 2021

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

You are right about starting now to plan for next season. There are some changes I want to make too. This past season was the first time I ever had a dry spike camp. You do need at least a gallon of water per person per day. I also use wet wipes for personal hygiene to save on water. We were four miles back. I can only imagine the difficulty of going back 10 miles. I want to go back to hunt there, but don't want to hunt it alone. At this point I do not have anyone that will commit this far out. They think they can just show up the last minute and everything just happens. I like the spot well enough I just may plan on a solo outing. I have InReach and can get spotty cell service. I plan on getting an elk there, so the logistics of getting it out are not too easy for an old geezer.

DSCN0476.JPG

This is my 2020 Mule and trailer, empty.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 3]

My wife was going to buy us a e-bike for Christmas ( me for hunting :D) But it was announced this week that Caribou Targee National forests is going to consider ebikes motorized,.. and ban them Many of the Idaho 60 and 70 hunt units.

Bugs me Tuesday someone drove a full sized vehicle all over and pushed the elk out of a closed to vehicle roads . :?
I think this year we will spike camp the area and fence those cows out.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Lefty wrote:My wife was going to buy us a e-bike for Christmas ( me for hunting :D) But it was announced this week that Caribou Targee National forests is going to consider ebikes motorized,.. and ban them Many of the Idaho 60 and 70 hunt units.

Bugs me Tuesday someone drove a full sized vehicle all over and pushed the elk out of a closed to vehicle roads . :?

E bikes were a talking point as well, but we've decided as a group to hold off for a couple years to make sure regulations don't change and suddenly find ourselves with some $4000 town bikes. They sure would make our approach to several different hunting spots much easier.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:My wife was going to buy us a e-bike for Christmas ( me for hunting :D) But it was announced this week that Caribou Targee National forests is going to consider ebikes motorized,.. and ban them Many of the Idaho 60 and 70 hunt units.

I took my quad up a non motorized road yesterday. Local spot i used to run the roads all the time. Closed to vehicles in 2015. Wasnt as fun as it should have been. A friend hiked up like 3 miles, killed a buck and managed to screw up his leg bad enough he couldnt walk. Told me where he was. I called the on duty game warden, explained things. He hauled out a sxs and i hopped on my quadm. He unlocked the gate and followed me up to get the cripple and the buck off the mountain. Man its been 5 years since ive used anything other than my feet to get up there, but the vast majority of the 5k+ miles on my quad were racked up in those hills. I could still drive it blindfolded. Pretty cool though to have a positive encounter with a gamie for a change. He didnt even flip me shit for running my quad on a county road with no helmet and expired tabs. Situation was serious enough that i didnt care if he was going to ticket me. Halfway expected him to based off of the few encounters ive had with fish cops in my life.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 19, 2020 •  [Post 6]

I doubt the National Forests will classify 750W and less as motorized. The Department of Interior (BLM & NPS) have said they are the same as a regular bicycle. I would expect the N.F. to follow suit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 11 21, 2020 •  [Post 7]

And here I thought I was being radical by comfiting to doing more stair workouts this offseason :lol:

Seriously though, that's a slick setup!
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C