Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Almost shot a moose today

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Almost shot a moose today

Postby wawhitey » 11 15, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Didnt want to, but thought i was going to have to. Damn thing was acting all rutty with a cow, went into the dark timber. A while later im sitting against a snag rattling and turn my head and hes 15 yards away staring at me. I stand up and politely request some solitude. He wasnt very impressed. He reluctantly slow walked back into the timber. Few seconds later he popped back out at about 50 yards, staring at me. Started coming right at me so i started walking away. Damn thing followed me 300-400 yards, he just would not let off. Couldnt believe it. I was retreating looking around for a tree i could climb, nothing would work. Got pretty damn spooky. Stupid moose.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Almost shot a moose today

Postby Lefty » 11 15, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Ive racked up a few spooky moose encounters
Twice Ive been treed by cows and calves.

I like walking the moose trails while hunting a sneaky ole buck. Off in the distance a couple young bulls were walking my direction. I moved around and into the open. They saw me and kept moving my direction. The smaller bull headed up the hill. The other bull started displaying then started tearing up the mountain side. I started back tracking. Tucked myself into a thicket of maples,It seem like 5 yards but it was more like 12. I shouldered my gun. At the click of the safety the bull up the hill made some sort of ruckus and my bull headed up the hill.

Then one other time scouting in September. I slipped around into a huge bulls private bedroom with his ladies. If looks could kill,.. That bull was buring holes in me.
But I got even. A friends friend had a bull tag that year,.. Scored #2 in Utah :D

And a little over a year ago. The bull elk was working his way into my calling,.. bugling and tearing things up. I think we have a couple bulls or a herd coming in.Then bad-dude bull-moose shows up. Andrew ran off towards the road..
Unaware, I keep working the "elk".
The cow moose is justs yards from my daughter.
Its been quite some time,
. The bugling elk is maybe 75-80 yards from me, I back up hoping to pull the need extra feet for my daughter or Andrew to shoot. Then Julie came sprinting up the canyon

WA you keep hanging around moose and you will pile up some more adrenaline experiences :lol: 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 11 15, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Ive met several ornery posturing moose, but it was all bluff. This dude meant business. He just flat... wouldnt... stop. Not gonna lie, i was scared. Ive had some really sketchy encounters with bears, but this takes the cake. No doubt in my mind, if id have started running, hed have trampled me. If id have tripped and fallen, hed have trampled me. It was just a really bad scene.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 11 16, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I have heard that moose are the most dangerous mammals in North America. I have very little experience with them having only seen them a few times, but I would be prepared to protect myself when in moose country.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 11 18, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:I have heard that moose are the most dangerous mammals in North America. I have very little experience with them having only seen them a few times, but I would be prepared to protect myself when in moose country.

People still scare me more. Were mostly always on guard for grizzlies.

Im just going to say it.

The wolves have whiped out the beaver and moose where we hunt, we saw the first moose in our boundary area for the first time in 5 years
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H