Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Time To Catch A Break

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Time To Catch A Break

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 1]

2020 has been a long and twisting road for me. I told you all about my health problems in January, culminating in multiple surgeries this spring/summer. My health has mostly cleared up, although the meds led to some decreased bone density which I found out about today. I still have to talk to the doc about fixing that issue, but with all the good things God's done this year, I can't exactly complain about it.

That said, I get to hunt deer and elk and birds and such in MT this November! It's time to catch some breaks in life. And by breaks, I mean seeing that 6 point bull in his bed in the timber BEFORE he sees me :mrgreen:. Being able to tell y'all about the struggles this last winter/spring was really helpful, so thanks. You Wapititalk guys are good folks. Except Indian Summer. Can't trust that guy any farther than I can throw him :lol:.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Re: Time To Catch A Break

Postby 7mmfan » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Good luck this fall TTD. You deserve a restful time in the woods. May the elk be large and uphill of the road, and the birds hold tight. Don't let Swede bother you with anecdotes about vehicle brands or accuracy, he knows not what he speaks.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Oh man, you are more than due a break mister… in fact, I think the 2020 rough road gods owe you several breaks! I boldly predict you'll get at least one big game animal in the Big Sky State this year (and a close call on a few others), and, a good handful of winged creatures. No squirrels though... sorry, I'm just not seeing it in my crystal at this time. Besides, those little pine squirrels are hard to hit and taste, well like pine squirrels :lol:. The docs will prescribe some meds for your low bone density, can't remember the name but they seem to work. Sure glad you're rebuild worked out well buddy and you're back on the trail. Wishing you a safe and successful hunting season the coming months! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Best wishes Trumpkin. I hope they can effectively help your bone density issue. I see advertisements for treatments, so they should be able to help. Keep us posted on your rehab and how your hunts go.
I am not going to say anything to you about your vehicle as you are probably smart enough to own a Ford. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

WapitiTalk1 wrote: No squirrels though... sorry, I'm just not seeing it in my crystal at this time.

If I can't kill a big fat squirrel in a river bottom in MT I will be sorely disappointed in my lack of hunting skills!
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:Best wishes Trumpkin. I hope they can effectively help your bone density issue. I see advertisements for treatments, so they should be able to help. Keep us posted on your rehab and how your hunts go.
I am not going to say anything to you about your vehicle as you are probably smart enough to own a Ford. :D

I do drive a Ford F-150 with the old reliable 5.0 Liter V8. And the bone density isn't low enough to fall in the Osteoporosis realm, so I'm trying not to worry too much about it. It's a nice reminder that I do not succeed in my own strength though.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Tigger » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Best of luck and I hope you have a great adventure! If anyone deserves a little luck on the hunt, it is you. I hope that bull takes the one step you need for the shot!
Tigger

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 8]

7mmfan wrote:Good luck this fall TTD. You deserve a restful time in the woods. May the elk be large and uphill of the road, and the birds hold tight. Don't let Swede bother you with anecdotes about vehicle brands or accuracy, he knows not what he speaks.

Tigger wrote:Best of luck and I hope you have a great adventure! If anyone deserves a little luck on the hunt, it is you. I hope that bull takes the one step you need for the shot!

Thanks fellas! I do love it when the elk die in easy packing spots.
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Billy Goat » 10 21, 2020 •  [Post 9]

all of what the other forum members said and more!

great perspective TTD! Enjoy your time off, and may it be a fruitful time at that.

Godspeed, sir.

shane
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat

Postby Lefty » 10 22, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:,,,, Except Indian Summer. Can't trust that guy any farther than I can throw him :lol:.
Swede missed the list huh!

Glad your doing better. We dont know how good we have it until our health goes funky.

Hey if going to or fro and thru Poky , I can sit you in my goose pit for a day or two

Oh wait a minute. I have a late season muzzle loader Idaho elk hunt. Plan to shoot one of those Montana elk when she strolls thru
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 23, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote: Swede missed the list huh!

Glad your doing better. We dont know how good we have it until our health goes funky.

Hey if going to or fro and thru Poky , I can sit you in my goose pit for a day or two

Oh wait a minute. I have a late season muzzle loader Idaho elk hunt. Plan to shoot one of those Montana elk when she strolls thru

I won't make it that far west this time, but I appreciate the offer. I think I'll find some time to shoot some geese while I'm up in MT though. I'll make sure to send a cow your way while I'm at it!
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 28, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Met with the doc, and it's all good news! No real worries about the decreased bone density. "Do some weight bearing exercise, take a calcium supplement, we'll check it in a year. If it doesn't get better there's lots of medications we can use". Now to survive the next couple work days, and a two day drive... I should be hunting elk next Monday morning!
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Swede » 10 28, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Trumpkin, best wishes. I hope you get a monster elk. It is time to catch a break. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ishy » 10 28, 2020 •  [Post 14]

Good luck, those health scares put a new appreciation on our time afield for sure.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L