Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Using Your Range Finder

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Using Your Range Finder

Postby Swede » 10 13, 2020 •  [Post 1]

How often do you use your range finder to determine the distance to an animal you see and want to shoot?

For me I think it is never. I have memorized the distance to prominent objects, like large trees in the area, and judge the distance to a critter based on its proximity to that know object's distance. Before range finders, I would measure out from my tree and hang flagging at different points so I would know the distance to deer and elk when they came by.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Using Your Range Finder

Postby 7mmfan » 10 13, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Back when I did a lot of bowhunting, I did not own a rangefinder. I did like you do and flagged areas around my stands so I knew distances. If I was still hunting, I was good at estimating distances out to about 30 yards and that was where I kept my shots.

Now that I rifle hunt almost exclusively, and own a rangefinder, I frequently find myself using it. More as a safeguard, but also to practice my estimating skills. I never range something without taking the time to make a calculated guess at what the distance should be. I'm usually pretty close, within 20-40 yards on distances past 200 yards, but sometimes I'm surprised. I would say that my rangefinder has been a great tool at teaching me what longer distances really look like.

If I was still bowhunting, my guess is I would probably still flag the area around my stands so I wouldn't have to go through that extra step of ranging something. One more movement, more time wasted, all of those little things combined can blow shots. I would certainly use it while still hunting if I had the time.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 13, 2020 •  [Post 3]

If I'm in a tree I am ranging trees around me and will refresh my memory with a second round of ranging if I get bored. Now if I'm stalking mule deer, hogs, elk, etc. I will absolutely range them if I'm given the chance.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby Tigger » 01 04, 2021 •  [Post 4]

Like 7mm-08fan, I use it quite often for checking my estimation. Most times I am really close, but when you go across a valley, it can really surprise you and I have been off an embarrassing amount. I use it mostly for rifle hunts (antelope, muleys) than archery elk. Last year my bull was inside 40 yards for 10 minutes before I shot him and I never once thought about my range finder.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 01 04, 2021 •  [Post 5]

Ive been trying to range locations when I sit down.
I have missed some nice animals using the wrong pin or guessing the range,.. or just messing up
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 05, 2021 •  [Post 6]

I never use a range finder for elk or deer. I know my range limitations and can pretty accurately guestimate the range to the target within my limitations.

However, when hunting pronghorns over a waterhole, it's a whole different ball game for me. There is just something about judging distance over water that blows my mind. I like to range objects on the other side of the water while I'm in my blind.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics