Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Small business and merchant accounts???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Small business and merchant accounts???

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I am currently contemplating starting my own business. Preferrably an internet based business, selling and shipping products that I get from a supplier.

I know about all the legal stuff involved, but what I don't know much about is setting up a merchant account. To accept credit cards and payments online, in person or over the phone. I have a paypal account, but not everyone else does, so that's not the best option.

I'm looking for any first hand experience from any of you who have an account like this and what I can expect it to cost me. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Maybe what providers/services to look at or avoid. Thanks guys.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Re: Small business and merchant accounts???

Postby foxvalley » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Paul might be a good person to help with this.Are you looking to set up an online store? That can be really expensive,and a lot of red tape. I recently got rid of my credit card machine,too many fees,and now use my smart phone with the "square" credit card app.I also have the intuit "go payment" app.I am checking them both out,and am going to use one or the other. Super easy to apply for,and they send you a card swiper that plugs into your smart phone.You can punch in the card # manually if you are on the phone,and I'm guessing on line also. Hope this helps.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

foxvalley, everything I've run into seems to be rediculously expensive. A full on web store seems like it would get out of hand pretty quick as far as fees and such.

I don't know how deep I want to get into this thing just yet. I currently have a dealer account with my supplier, but I don't stock anything, so there is no overhead yet. I only sell to my close friends and family, so they work around my limitations of only accepting cash or check. I have a facebook page and I have friends in other states, so I'm thinking that if I could accept CCs, it would make me much more accessible. My dad runs his own business, so all the taxes and income are paid and reported legally, but he doesn't accept credit cards because his business only makes a few transactions per month/year. So I'm looking for something that won't break the bank if I don't use it for awhile.

I like the sound of the square program, I've used it when buying from other business, and it seems pretty simple.
FemoralArchery

Postby ctdad » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have a credit card machine/account that we use in our physical building. I also accept paypal payments on my website. You don't have to have a paypal account to utilize this option. A person can just enter their credit card info into paypal and they will have a secure transaction. One thing my clients like about paypal is that they have all heard of it and they feel secure using it. The fees are pretty straight forward and easy to understand on their website.
ctdad

Postby idahoghost » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

We use PayPal for almost all of our transactions with the exception of phone orders. PayPal will accept almost any C-Card. We just started using our smart phone with the PayPal app and so far have no issues. We were using Intuit, as it integrated directly into Quickbooks Pro, but their payment system will only work with IE7. It will not support any browser other than that, hence is very limited. Also, their customer service (in my opinion sucks). We also used Google checkout, but their disbursement procedures were a nightmare.

The only issues we have had with PayPal is from the older, less computer savvy, generation. You can also use their built in shopping cart tool, it have found it works well. While every solution has problems, for a same business with limited funds, it may be a good way to go for you.

my 2-cents..
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby foxvalley » 12 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

idahoghost,
Thanks for the info.I have used pay pal to purchase things before,and like there system.I am going to download their app and check it out.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby dotman » 12 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Crap I can't think of the name but it is a credit card swiper that you use with your phone. My electrician uses it and it is slick, emails you a receipt. Think it was cheap to get setup.
dotman

Postby FemoralArchery » 12 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for all the info guys, its been really helpful. I will do more research and hopefully find something that will work for my system. You guys are a big help.
FemoralArchery

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 01 05, 2013 •  [Post 9]

FemoralArchery wrote:Thanks for all the info guys, its been really helpful. I will do more research and hopefully find something that will work for my system. You guys are a big help.

FA - Sent you a PM.
JohnFitzgerald