Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Post a pic of your camp

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Post a pic of your camp

Postby Lefty » 09 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

This isn’t a photo of the month competition and I thought the campfire would be a less serious place for camp pics
What changes, or improvements have you made, or should have made.
Years past my camp was a place to sleep back of the pickup or tent. The luxury of standing up to put pants on, well it’s wonderful.
I’ve always, well not always, had comfortable sleeping, but sliding my feet around beats crawling out of the back of the truck to stand
And a biggie; A hot shower in a warm camper

A couple of LEO’s; mid 30’s ;OOS, camped at our location
Big tent, backpacking gear; Coleman stove on the tailgate.

2A1D3012-9B6A-4002-9776-C60559173825.jpeg
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Post a pic of your camp

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Cute little camper there Lefty. You might be wise to stake out some guy lines on that awning. A good strong wind will reek havoc on it if you don't.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Swede » 09 22, 2020 •  [Post 3]

DSCN0485.JPG
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 09 22, 2020 •  [Post 4]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Cute little camper there Lefty. You might be wise to stake out some guy lines on that awning. A good strong wind will reek havoc on it if you don't.

This whole region had a storm a few weeks back, to my back taking the pic 24-42" trees were blown down. the wind was from the east ,. the woods was full of fresh blowdown. I roll it up if we expect wind.
The camper is a Toy hauler too. An elevated bed, heat , hot shower Just wonderful.
The OOS were in a 6-man 4-season North face tent. The one fellow is coming back with his wife for a backpack Idaho rife deer.

Swedes pic reminds me of a story of my wifes. Her dad took her and 3 of her sisters on a hunt. My wife shot her deer from her sleeping bag. My father in law came back to camp to take care of her deer,.. and he shot his elk from his camp chair
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 09 23, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Lefty wrote:
>>>---WW----> wrote:Cute little camper there Lefty. You might be wise to stake out some guy lines on that awning. A good strong wind will reek havoc on it if you don't.

This whole region had a storm a few weeks back, to my back taking the pic 24-42" trees were blown down. the wind was from the east ,. the woods was full of fresh blowdown. I roll it up if we expect wind.
The camper is a Toy hauler too. An elevated bed, heat , hot shower Just wonderful.
The OOS were in a 6-man 4-season North face tent. The one fellow is coming back with his wife for a backpack Idaho rife deer.

Swedes pic reminds me of a story of my wifes. Her dad took her and 3 of her sisters on a hunt. My wife shot her deer from her sleeping bag. My father in law came back to camp to take care of her deer,.. and he shot his elk from his camp chair

Someday, that will happen to me. I guess I have to be in camp during daylight hours for that to happen though, and that's rare.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Indian Summer » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Swede... that sod cloth around the bottom of your tent goes on the inside. On the outside it will just catch water and possibly run it back to your canvas. On the inside it makes a nice seal to the ground with frame legs, cot legs, and firewood on top of it.
Attachments
6B7D2378-C1C1-4441-AA3A-3D128F2DD3BD.jpeg
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Swede » 09 25, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I know where the sod cloth is supposed to go. You can't even put the tent stakes around the bottom perimeter of the tent with the sod cloth on the outside. I would have tucked the sod cloth apron under if I thought I needed to stake the tent down more, like I did last year. It did not seem to be a problem even in the rain. We never had a drop of water flow under the apron.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics