Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Have You Ever Hunted With A Complainer?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Have You Ever Hunted With A Complainer?

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Have you ever hunted with someone that was a constant complainer? They hate the weather. There is no game around. It used to be great here, but now the game commission, other hunters, or someone or something else (wolves & cougars) has messed it all up. The food is poor. The equipment is not right, add nauseum until all you want to do is get away.
That fellow does not hunt with me now, so if he shows up at your camp just remind him how blessed we are to be able to go hunt and enjoy the opportunities we have. Thankfully this country is not like so many others where you pay big for the privilege's to have someone chase a "wild" boar or stag to you as you stand or sit at your station.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Have You Ever Hunted With A Complainer?

Postby saddlesore » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Nor so much complaining, but needy. Help me with this help me with that, I hurt my back,need to go into town.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Im on a forum with Swede!

saddlesore wrote:Nor so much complaining, but needy. Help me with this help me with that, I hurt my back,need to go into town.

I was thinking back: I hadn't hunted with complainer elk hunting.
Then reading those words. I’m sure I heard the guys voice and the quote ended with" I need to go home" goose hunting.

My early years I was invited on others elk hunts. I was the very thankful guest. So I may not have known about complainers because I was the guest.
Otherwise my daughter, her boyfriend and Dave are the only ones Ive archery hunted with. I think Iv heard my daughter state she was hungry, not a complaint. Andrew has mentioned it was cold while hiking back late in a snow storm :lol: Almost cursing the weather, But not a complaint.

Well Dave should have complained. Actually he was sick, too sick to be out. 7-8 years back We had hiked a big circuit in the desert trying to find the bedded elk. Bright sun and very hot. We had carried plenty of water. Which was gone.
Now Dave was a former adventurer, back-country hiker, hardcore climber, a marathoner and has had some crazy outdoor experiences He was having heat exhaustion on his way to heat stroke or maybe there. I left him in the shade of a big sage and headed to the truck. Drove back to Dave. I had 55 gallons of water in the truck and started piling water over him. My pickups AC had had the truck cool and got him in the pickup.
Dave just turned 40, and what ever started or happened that day still hasn't resolved.
Hearing Saddle Sore's quote makes me chuckle. A fellow who goose hunts with me once or twice a year on my field, in my pit. I enjoy his company, but maybe its because I enjoy his whining
A champion marksman but cant hit a back-peddling goose at 15 yards
"I knew we should have come out later( or earlier) "
That whole: "should of been here yesterday", "should have taken that 70-80 yard shot"
He’s impatient. I don’t think he had ever shot a decoying goose in his life under 40 yards, unless hunting with me and I hold him back.
I do have a neat short story:
A kid and Mr. Impatient and I were in for an expected fast hunt. The field was going to fill up with geese if we got off quick enough. We took minimal gear and just a few decoys, I was very clear the first three groups of birds and we were off the field, or the geese would use an adjoining refuge field.
Kill our birds.
Empty guns,
put the decoys in the pit,
grab our birds and run for the truck!
A small flight of eight was coming in from the hard right. I told the kid he was to call the shot, as I worked the goose call. The geese were going to be close. The kid let most of the geese pass him. Calling the shot perfectly . The kid started from his far left . I started from my far right. We had 6 birds on the ground and Mr Impatient hadn’t fired shot, he was so flustered having birds so close. He threw out three shots at the two escaping birds, followed by profanities. He said every time he picked a bird it was dropped by one of us. The kid and I had done exactly as I stated we started from the outside. The kid was the retriever.
Next group came in close, the kid and I killed our number 4 each.
Mr. I was furious he had killed one goose and missed twice. Then the kid started giving him pointers on shooting close bird “Aim for the bill” ( the kid is good and so is Mr. I, at the range.) And I started giving him a hard time, really messing with him.
The kid and I;
8 geese for 8 shots.
Mr I 1:6
We quickly strategized the next flight and reviewed the exit from the blind. The kid was to run with the 9 geese( on a strap).
Next flight: a bigger group of 20. Coming straight into the blind. The kid reminded Mr. I to pick three, kill three. The geese were cupped, at 40 yards I started to say " wait" Mr I jumped dropped 2, missed once. the kid called " guns empty" cleared the pit, handed me the decoys.

Mr I was flabbergasted. "We weren't waiting for just one more flight so he could get his last bird, his limit
A few years back Mr I was telling that story in the blind,,, I checked with the kid. Our version was much different.

Mr. I tried archery hunting from a tree stand years ago,..he couldn't do it.

Ive hunted with numerous newbies and ill prepared. The only complaints I recall,.. If I wake my wife before heading out
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I've hunted and fished with a few. I'm pretty picky these days. I want guys that pull their own weight and can be depended on. They have to have a sense of humor and know when to be serious and get it done. I've got a good core group of guys that fit this bill.

The worst offender is one I still fish with occasionally. He's gotten a lot better over time. Half way through a full day steelhead float he got an angry call from his girlfriend and said he had to go. Well that meant WE ALL had to go. I said no, deal with it. If shes calling the shots shes not the one. Same guy 10 years later on a salmon trip lost a couple and I landed 2. He asked at the end of the day for his share. What share is that? Like I said, hes a little better now.

One guy I don't associate with much anymore was invited to our late archery camp. He was mad because we camped on a boundary and he couldn't hunt on both sides of the road. Then it was crunchy snow, then it was cold. That only happened once.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 5]

True story! Three guys from back east came out for a hunt. On about the second day, one of them was home sick and complaining about everything He even demanded the other two to quit the hunt and take him home immediately. Boy, that went over like a freshman pole vaulter! LOL! So they loaded him up and took him to the nearest air port. They dropped him off and said ,"Good Luck buying a ticket and finding your way back to Michigan"! :o

Problem solved. At least for two of them! :D
>>>---WW---->

Postby saddlesore » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Similar thing Bill.Three guys came out for Minnesota to hunt with us. They complained to each other all season long.One got a nice bull,but my buddy told me after they went home,they never talked each other again
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 7]

As a fishing guide for 10ish years, I experienced that a lot with guys coming from distant locals. What seemed to be the issue most of the time was that guys either didn't know what they were getting into, or had a perceived impression of what it should be like and wasn't, or they got home sick. I saw some serious homesickness on 3 day fishing trips in AK. I had a guy on the 2nd day of a trip as we were heading offshore to fish for halibut have a mental breakdown. He was 100% confident that he was never going to see his wife and kids again, and that we had to turn the boat around ASAP! Despite my best efforts to reassure him, it was useless. The crew decided to go back to the dock and he wouldn't be on the boat the next day.

I will admit, last year was the first time that I got serious homesickness while gone hunting. In no way was I ever going to cut the trip short, but I did miss my wife and kiddo. He grew up so much in that 10 days I was gone. Solution... just take him with!
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 8]

I think the only time I was ever homesick was in navy boot camp and shortly after. I am not sure it was homesickness or the nagging doubts I had as a 17 year old, wondering what have I got myself into? The jerk that ran our company was not very polite to say the least? That sure did not help matters. I would have been happier for sure if he had said "Please" and "Thank you" once in awhile. :D
Swede

Postby 2Rivers » 07 20, 2020 •  [Post 9]

not so much a complainer, as in the past I've hunted with "that guy" that's Always the last one out of camp in the morning when daylight is breaking or the one that wants to head back to camp before total darkness.
2Rivers

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2020 •  [Post 10]

The worse things about cell reception” freaky wives and girlfriends”

And realistically why can’t or shouldn’t the kids and wife come along
Each of my girls were hunting fishing and checking traps before their first birthday

My pet peeve are the guys that won’t or don’t offer to take their kids in doing something they love and is an important part of their live

I still dislike a fellow who was a spokesman and big wig of an orginazation stated on national TV. At 16 years old was going on his first hunt at 16, and the hunt was going to make the kid a man”
A national spokesman for years and its the kids first hunt. Make for a lousy father in my book
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Lefty wrote:A national spokesman for years and its the kids first hunt. Make for a lousy father in my book

I wonder if the dad thought of hunting as just business and work? Maybe he took his kid to the ballpark for father-son time together. When intelligent people do things that make no sense to me, I often find I am not seeing it from their perspective. The older generation often left their daughters out of hunting because it was not their place, and often daughters were not inclined to go out either.
I was out with my dad hunting and logging when I was still wearing three cornered pants (diapers) so I have no concept of being always left behind. Dad did go on his own, but included my brother and me when it fit.
Swede

Postby Magic » 07 26, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Once, but it only takes once. Complained about everything. That did it for me and since then only my Wife or my Son have accompanied me.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Tigger » 07 27, 2020 •  [Post 13]

I had an opportunity to go fishing with a buddy this summer. his boat. I told him that I really appreciated it since I hadnt been fishing in 5+ years without my kids. And other than elk hunting, I havent really been hunting without them with a few isolated exceptions. I take them every time I go and would have it no other way!

Never really had a complainer, but I have a buddy that has a pretty good story of hunting with his cousin for elk in CO. Saw 6 nice bulls middday of Day 1. The cousin said, "No way am I going that far to get to those bulls, it has to be almost a mile away!". It went downhill from there.
Tigger

Postby Billy Goat » 08 04, 2020 •  [Post 14]

We're pretty selective about who we let participate in our elk trips. I really cant think of ever having a complainer in elk camp.

I do have one 2nd cousin who complains about all facets of life, and I see him occasionally at the family Ranch where we deer hunt. I avoid him like the plague.

All of life seems to be against him, according to him. Cant keep a job, cant keep a wife, poor health, everything and everybody keeps him down. Only thing he likes, consistently, is Bud Light. As a bonus, he's one of those "know it alls" who tells you how everyone else messes everything up.

I just don't know what to do around him cause it's depressing as hell.

Makes me appreciate how special life is, and how it can be great, or suck, depending on what you want it to be/make it. :)
"First teach a child to love God,
teach them second to love their family
and third, teach them to hunt and fish,
and by the time they reach their teens, no dope peddler under the sun will ever teach them anything".

-Cotton Cordell
Billy Goat