Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Good Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Good Hunter

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

What in your mind are the attributes of a good hunter?
To my way of thinking is is more than bagging game on a regular basis, and does not have a lot to do with the size of the trophy rack a buck or bull, ??? has.
The good hunter is comfortable in his/her own skin. They know their abilities and limitations and manage accordingly. They are courteous and can hunt in the same area as others without complaining. They will help out when the situation arises. They get game, but are pleased when others do also. The good hunter is serious and focused, but has time to have fun.
Along with that, I generally consider the complainers, the braggarts, the liars, the cheats, and those that have to outdo everyone else to be lousy and poor representatives for the sport.
What are your thoughts on this?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The Good Hunter

Postby saddlesore » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Some one who knows what to do and you don't have to ask.They pull their own weight.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 19, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Dang it all...here I was thinking I was a good hunter and then Swede mentions Not complaining about other hunters. Well, that’s all I do ;). Whenever someone would ask my grandma how she was doing she would always reply with, “well, I would say I can’t complain, but that’s all I ever do” :). Sometimes it’s hard to not complain about other hunters but they are doing the same thing I am so I’ve got to where I figure good luck to them.
Elkhunttoo

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 23, 2020 •  [Post 4]

A really good hunter is one that tells me all of their best places to hunt. ;)
>>>---WW---->

Postby 7mmfan » 07 23, 2020 •  [Post 5]

I have met some very good hunters. I've met some terrible ones too. The good ones all seem to share similar traits.

- They go where the animals are, and that doesn't necessarily mean deep and steep
- They're confident in finding them
- They're patient, but know when to act
- They share knowledge, but not necessarily spots
- Aren't greedy or upset when they find you in one of their spots. They go find another.
- Wiling to lend a helping hand.

These are traits of good hunters that I've met that I do not associate with. I've experienced all of the above, including unsolicited help.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 07 30, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Unfortunate the "good hunter " blends in, he disappears in the woods And all to often slips away before he shows he is a good example to others. You see him, his truck and hear his shot
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2020 •  [Post 7]

7mm, I think you have some very good insight as shown on your latest post on this thread.
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 08 04, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Swede wrote:7mm, I think you have some very good insight as shown on your latest post on this thread.

I've been lucky enough to have good experiences and encounters, and was able to pay attention and recognize the quality of the individual at the time. Like Lefty said though, all to often we don't run into good hunters because they're good hunters. However I'll argue that just because a guy is consistently successful and does not make him the target of this thread. I've also known some guys that kill a lot of animals that I do not consider to be "good hunters". They're efficient killers, but not kind or generous to other hunters. It's all about them. They're the ones that frequently brag on social media about being home by noon opening day while everyone else is out struggling.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2020 •  [Post 9]

7mmfan wrote:I've also known some guys that kill a lot of animals that I do not consider to be "good hunters".

I know some too. They cheat. They also brag a lot. They will even blat about their cheating.
Swede