Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When do you know you are ready?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When do you know you are ready?

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 05, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I have been shooting 20-40 arrows a day for the last month. My accuracy is getting better - I would say I am grouping about 5 arrows out of six within a 5” circle at 40 yards. My question is, when are you guys comfortable with your shooting to go chase a deer or elk? This question is being posed with the knowledge of trying to get the most lethal shot possible, to ensure a quick clean harvest and that I will continue to practice and hone my accuracy. Just wondering when you guys are happy with your grouping and shooting to be able to go chase some game.
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: When do you know you are ready?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 05, 2020 •  [Post 2]

If you’re zipping 5 of 6 broad heads in a 5 inch circle at 40 yards, you’re cooking with grease mister. Elk and deer beware!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 07 05, 2020 •  [Post 3]

You are doing very well if those 4 of five shots are the first ones you shoot when practicing. I practice all summer and get as good as I can. I adjust the distance I will shoot based partly on my practice and the situation I find myself in when the hunting opportunity comes. I do not shoot over 40 yards at game. My suggestion is set your limit based on how well you are shooting under ideal conditions, and be prepared to back off if the shot is not just right.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby GoGriz1234 » 07 05, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the replies! That makes me feel a whole lot better about my progress to date. I’ll keep at it and hopefully continue to hone my skill set. Hopefully I get an opportunity or two this year!!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 5]

If you had to shoot your first arrow of the day, with a broadhead, through a pie plate sized hole in a steel plate, what range would you be comfortable taking the shot?

I ask this because it is a scenario that simulates the stress of making the shot on a live animal. There will be a range you are comfortable with, and that's probably close to your max effective range. It also gets at whether you are mentally confident in your shooting. Confidence is huge with archery! If you have any range where you feel confident, you can go hunt! Maybe it's only 8 yards, maybe it's 40, but if you know your limits you can hunt with a bow.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby 7mmfan » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 6]

When I bow hunted, I also found there to be a huge difference between shooting in my back yard in the open at known distances, and shooting at angles and in cover, I.E. hunting scenarios. I found it really helpful to go somewhere that I could safely set up targets in the woods, or at least cover of some form, uphill, downhill, side hill etc.. and take shots at unknown distances. I would do my best to judge the distance and take the shot. It's a real eye opener when you think your target is 30 yards away uphill and you sail an arrow over it.

I would say that if you are shooting as accurately as you are at home, this is the next step to getting ready for game.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2020 •  [Post 7]

Ready for what?

I say that knowing one day I may feel comfortable shooting oat a elk at 60 yards and the next day won’t take that shot with a breeze or wind or branch

Before my shoulder surgery I had a self imposed range of 27 yards with my draw weight set around45 lbsi shot less than 100 arrows in those two years and had gone r20 years without drawing a bow.
I was relying on my ability and instinct 35 years earlier
Those two years I had a crazy number of cows mature bulls and a handful over 330 under 45 yards

My surgeon gave me drawing instructions and I’ve worn out a couple strings and lost a few arrows. One day I may fell comfortable at 60 , maybe the next day only at 45

The moment of the shot I decide if I’m ready

I “ know” when a shot feels right
And I’ve taken a few of those shots that’s few reasons the arrow wasn’t true
I’ve also let down or released an arrow wide because at that moment wasn’t right
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:If you had to shoot your first arrow of the day, with a broadhead, through a pie plate sized hole in a steel plate, what range would you be comfortable taking the shot?

I ask this because it is a scenario that simulates the stress of making the shot on a live animal. There will be a range you are comfortable with, and that's probably close to your max effective range. It also gets at whether you are mentally confident in your shooting. Confidence is huge with archery! If you have any range where you feel confident, you can go hunt! Maybe it's only 8 yards, maybe it's 40, but if you know your limits you can hunt with a bow.

Killer scenario. I love that idea.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 07 07, 2020 •  [Post 9]

Indian Summer wrote:
Trumkin the Dwarf wrote:If you had to shoot your first arrow of the day, with a broadhead, through a pie plate sized hole in a steel plate, what range would you be comfortable taking the shot?

Killer scenario. I love that idea.

It's sadistic, honestly. I'm scared to try it out myself! I know damn well I wouldn't try it at 20 in my current state of shooting and tuning with my trad bows. A few months back I'd have been just fine trying it at 20-25 yards though.
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby juglow » 07 10, 2020 •  [Post 10]

practice is really good for building those bow muscles and practicing pulling through the shot. The shot is a process that needs repeated exactly the same for accuracy. Everyone has there own ability and comfort zone and you will definitely be lethal hitting a pie plate at 40 yds consistently. As Thrumkin suggested, which is really good advise if you have ever done it, is to shoot through steel...that will put pressure on you in a back yard hero scenario very similar to what you would feel in the field. I personally like to get at 100yds hitting a pie plate although I wouldn't take that shot but if the conditions are right, I would not hesitate taking an 80yd shot with my setup and kinetic energy my rig is delivering. Here are a few snaps of my back yard practice rounds from Tuesday. Haven't focused much at 70+ yet this year.
Attachments
IMG_1877.jpg
IMG_1877.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1798.jpg (68.53 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
juglow

First Name: Jeremiah
Last Name: Uglow

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 10, 2020 •  [Post 11]

juglow wrote:practice is really good for building those bow muscles and practicing pulling through the shot. The shot is a process that needs repeated exactly the same for accuracy. Everyone has there own ability and comfort zone and you will definitely be lethal hitting a pie plate at 40 yds consistently. As Thrumkin suggested, which is really good advise if you have ever done it, is to shoot through steel...that will put pressure on you in a back yard hero scenario very similar to what you would feel in the field. I personally like to get at 100yds hitting a pie plate although I wouldn't take that shot but if the conditions are right, I would not hesitate taking an 80yd shot with my setup and kinetic energy my rig is delivering. Here are a few snaps of my back yard practice rounds from Tuesday. Haven't focused much at 70+ yet this year.

Hey,,,, that's what my arrow look like at 50 yards about foot over the back of a elk. Lol
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Tigger » 07 10, 2020 •  [Post 12]

I like that idea Trumkin. Even if you just simulate it by taking that arrow and putting it away for the day.

How many of you number your arrows? I bet Swede names his. anybody wanna guess at his names? I bet Pumpkin is on the list!
Tigger

Postby ishy » 07 11, 2020 •  [Post 13]

All good points. I'd add practice considerably farther than you plan to shoot. Also 3D shoots are priceless opportunities to get an idea of how you will do in the moment of truth. You'll have a much better idea than shooting your target in the back yard at known distances on flat ground. 3D shoots will be the closest thing you can get to actually hunting without actually hunting. Ours even have one or two steal targets that only the vitals are foam just to add a little pressure.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby Swede » 07 11, 2020 •  [Post 14]

If you are going to be hunting from a tree stand, I would highly recommend practicing shooting from your stand at the height you will be when hunting. I have know several hunters that had real problems shooting down at a steep angle. They all shot high, and I don't think they ever broke the habit.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics