Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What is your trip?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What is your trip?

Postby Bullnuts » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ok, let's pretend...
Money is no object, you have 3 weeks, and your wife (or husband) says, "Wow, honey, you're going to have a great time!"
So where do you go and what do you go after? Any hunt, anywhere, any time....what's your dream trip?
Bullnuts

Re: What is your trip?

Postby dotman » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Hmm that a hard one, not sure 3 weeks would cover grizz, dall, bou and moose in Alaska. Mainly cause I don't know when seasons start etc.
dotman

Postby Swede » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I am not sure either, but a fair chase elk hunt where I had a good chance to take a 350-380 bull would be a great start. I have heard of people who do not need to consider the cost, but I don't personally know any of them: do you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 12 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Alaska
Isaland Brown and black bear
Dall sheep Moose,carabou, elk
Salmon Halibut, crabs and clams
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I would have a tough time deciding between the Kodiak brown bear with a bow or going to one of those countries that ends in stan and hunting Marco Polo sheep. And no, I don't know anyone who is in this boat...that's why it says "Let's pretend"! It's always nice to dream just in case you win the lottery or get willed a kabillion dollars from your long lost aunt.
Bullnuts

Postby foxvalley » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I would definatly go to africa.
Shoot all the plains game possible,shoot the big 5,maybe an alligator,hippo,another buff,and if there was any time left,I would turn around and start all over again.......or take a nap.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby dotman » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I had thought about Africa buy realized I could go there (not including big 5) for about the cost of a black bear only hunt in Canada or half the cost of a dall sheep. I have a buddy that is the sole booking agent for a outfitter in SA that keeps bugging me to go. Supposedly you can do it for under $6k including airfare etc but I think you would be limited on animals which I would be ok with, just being there would be an experience.

The Marco Polo would be an insane hunt!
dotman

Postby Swede » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Foxvalley: I do all of that , then I wake up from my nap. Bullnuts I hope that lottery thing works out for you. I just received my guide services catalog from Cabelas. I find myself torn betwen the urge to throw the catalog in the recycle bin or slobbering over it at breakfast every day. Anyway I don't have a rich uncle and I don't purchase lottery tickets. I think that just about makes my case hopeless.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Foxvalley: I do all of that , then I wake up from my nap. Bullnuts I hope that lottery thing works out for you. I just received my guide services catalog from Cabelas. I find myself torn betwen the urge to throw the catalog in the recycle bin or slobbering over it at breakfast every day. Anyway I don't have a rich uncle and I don't purchase lottery tickets. I think that just about makes my case hopeless.

LOL! You can't win if you don't play! I don't play every week, but when I do I start day dreaming about all the places I would go and all the hunts I would enjoy. I don't have my bags packed or anything, but it's nice to dream- -I'm kinda like George Bailey in that respect. I always think that the Marco Polo hunt would be incredible but I would have to get that winning ticket in the next couple of years before I get too old to do it.
Bullnuts

Postby pointysticks » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

hint..

it ends with me eating a moose burger! a big rutting moose heading towards me..man..living the dream.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby buglmin » 12 15, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Africa is a lot cheaper then most guys think...go to a SCI banquet and bid on trips to Africa. I know serveral guys that go every two years cause they win trips a A SCI banquet...
My dream trip? I've killed 380 and 360+ bulls with my bows, killed 200" mule deer with my bows, but a mountain goat now...that sirs is a dream in the process.
The big bears of Alaska..everyone dreams of those, same as big bull moose...now, a top ten Shiras moose, or a big tough cous, not over bait or water like most do, but the old fashion way, by stalking...
And for some reason, a huge 180" whitetail really gets me going, more so then a big mule deer buck.
I hope that some time soon, all of your dreams come true, and all of you get the chance to kill your dream animals. But until then, shoot strainght and hunt hard, good things come to those who wait!!
On the other subject, one of the guys I guide every year is like that, can hunt where he wants, and every fall, regardless of the size, the guy goes balistic when he kills a bull. He has a genuine love for elk, the country they live in, and the thrill of the chase. Its an honor to hunt with him and see the true emotions of someone who really apprecates just being able to be there at the moment....
buglmin

Postby blackwolf » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

A great fair chase hunt for a big bull. Ditto on what Swede said.
blackwolf

First Name: Jim
Last Name: Messerschmidt

Postby cnelk » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

i got my B&C Colorado Shiras moose, a P&Y Minnesota Whitetail, a 300in bull elk, a 28" mulie, several bears.

3 weeks would find me in my OTC archery elk honey holes, 2 hours from home, enjoying the finer things in life...

Pre-dawn hot coffee, watching the sunrise, working the wind toward a bugle knowing it could be just a 4 point raghorn feeling frisky.
Sweating in the afternoon sun. Witnessing the sun disappear behind the mountain range. Hiking in the dark. Building a campfire.
Cursing the army cot. Brookie fishing, hanging with friends and family... you get the idea.

Put a value on that... Priceless
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby dotman » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 14]

cnelk wrote:i got my B&C Colorado Shiras moose, a P&Y Minnesota Whitetail, a 300in bull elk, a 28" mulie, several bears.

3 weeks would find me in my OTC archery elk honey holes, 2 hours from home, enjoying the finer things in life...

Pre-dawn hot coffee, watching the sunrise, working the wind toward a bugle knowing it could be just a 4 point raghorn feeling frisky.
Sweating in the afternoon sun. Witnessing the sun disappear behind the mountain range. Hiking in the dark. Building a campfire.
Cursing the army cot. Brookie fishing, hanging with friends and family... you get the idea.

Put a value on that... Priceless

Well said!
dotman

Postby LckyTylr » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Dall Sheep and Goat. Spend first week and a half trying for both with a bow, then switch to Rifle.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby planebow » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I always wanted a bighorn ram but ended up getting a tag my first try, took a nice ram but I enjoy my elk hunting much more. I would have to say that my dream hunt would be an elk hunt in an area with lots of good bulls and spend the whole season doing what I love,
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby bnsafe » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 17]

i would go for doves and waterfowl in argentina. i love wingshooting. bullnuts, i know a guy that went to the stans this year an killed a marco polo sheep. he was in taliban controlled territory he said and had to have several armed guards around him most of the time. he use to be a seal so guess be crazy is built in.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Bullnuts » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 18]

bnsafe wrote:i would go for doves and waterfowl in argentina. i love wingshooting. bullnuts, i know a guy that went to the stans this year an killed a marco polo sheep. he was in taliban controlled territory he said and had to have several armed guards around him most of the time. he use to be a seal so guess be crazy is built in.

I get goosebumps any time I see the horns on one of those massive rams. I'd love to hear your friend's story!
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 12 16, 2012 •  [Post 19]

he actually either would not or could not tell anybody where he was going before the hunt. didnt say anything till he got back other than he was goin hunting. hes a dr and i didnt get to talk to him about it but he did say it was fun, but scary with all the stuff goin on over there. i know when he killed his ram they got it and literally left the area as quickly as possible. would be fun but crazy for a goat.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby foxvalley » 12 17, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Marco Polo..... WOW ...... a dream in a dream!

Just thinking what cnelk said.......I have to change my dreamhunt.
Of all the time spent in the mtns.,all the experiences,close calls,learning the land,exitement,pain, suffering ,triumph,yes it would be awesome to go somewhere else,but I don't think being lead by the hand, or going into totally unfamiliar erea would be the same.
I also have lots of P&Y animals on the wall,but not a big mature bull elk. Days,weeks, months,of accumulated time since 1987,and coming so very close,so many times to some truly ginormous bulls,after trying so hard for so long, would have to be the ultimate dream hunt,and now with the help of elknut,and all my forum friends,I can almost taste him.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Les Welch » 12 19, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I've been a lot of places and killed a lot of animals. If I really was able to do a "pretend" hunt, it would be with my kids and my father in AK. After this past week's happenings my hunting trips seem less important then usual.
Les Welch

What is your trip?

Postby BarW » 12 27, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Fully outfitted family adventure for dall sheep and moose. Trout on the side. Just relax with the family let the guide find the animals.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins