Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Jerks At Home

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Jerks At Home

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I am staying home in quarantine, hanging around here and Google Earth. I was wondering how many of you are staying home now? Whitey may be wishing he was still at sea by this time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Jerks At Home

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Not yet up my way. Even if the GOV gives a “shelter in place” order in WA in the near future, he can’t direct actions on a federal reservation (i.e., Army post where I work). Up to our CG to determine what the soldiers, civilians, contractors will do. I personally, am ready to hunker down at the ranch for a few weeks. :?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby wawhitey » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 3]

Attachments
Screenshot_20200318-210339_Instagram_copy_800x736.jpg
Screenshot_20200318-210339_Instagram_copy_800x736.jpg (73.54 KiB) Viewed 5626 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 4]

I am starting to get nervous. My wife and I are both over 70 and in that group most vulnerable to Covid19 Now I am hearing our president, and some pundits saying the economy is more important that some lives. :shock: I think they might have me in their crosshairs as a retiree on a government pension. I just might be expendable.
I don't care how they feel about paying my pension. I am staying hunkered down and only going out for groceries once a week. I would like to live long enough to see some future president lamenting to the treasury secretary about the Swede deficit. :cry:
Swede

Postby 7mmfan » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Both my wife and I ha e been working from home for a week or so. The guvna just issued the shelter in place mandate, so we will continue to do so. I stocked up on project materials that will keep me busy throughout this. When it's all over, my yard will look like something straight out of some landscaping magazine! Going to keep our son in his daycare a couple days a week so he can see his friends, and get some social time. Daycare is just a couple blocks away so we can walk to and from. Luckily we have a surplus of meat in the freezer, canned goods in the pantry and, plenty of dry goods. Only thing I will need to go out and buy is milk and veggies. And maybe an occasional growler of beer from the local brewer if hes still open.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby wawhitey » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 6]

7mmfan wrote:. Only thing I will need to go out and buy is milk and veggies. And maybe an occasional growler of beer from the local brewer if hes still open.

I dont drink milk, but i eat a lot of vegetables. Tried to buy frozen veggies yesterday so i could do the hermit thing, and the safeway in colville was wiped out. Basically nothing but frozen brussel sprouts. I love fresh brussel sprouts, but the frozen ones arent fit to feed a dog. Not even the ahole dogs chasing deer on my place.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 03 23, 2020 •  [Post 7]

We bought a few big bags of frozen mixed veggies a while back, probably enough for 2 weeks. Lots of canned veggies too. I love fresh though, so I'll deal. Milk is for the 2.5 year old. Pretty much a necessity for him. I do have 2 gallons frozen in the freezer so in reality, we could do the real hermit hunker for 2+ full weeks, no problemo.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby saddlesore » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 8]

We are basically locked down here in CO. Hasn't effected me because I have been sick for 5 weeks .Cold turned into a respiratory virus according the the doc. This was around before the CV-19. Sore throat,then uncontrollable coughing with a lot of stuff in my lungs.Doc said I am pretty much screwed if I get the CV-19 now.

I have not been off the property except one trip to the doc's. My wife is still healthy and she has been doing grocery shopping only. They have most grocery stores open 1-2 hours for seniors before the general public gets a crack at the limited inventory.

We have a lot of elk meat, everything else is pretty low. Most of our cooking is from staples as we don't eat a lot of pre cooked or pre-made foods.

My daily activity is feeding the mules twice a day and cleaning manure out once a day.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Tigger » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 9]

hang in there fellas, elk season is coming as fast as it can. We will have to suck it up in the meantime, but as elk hunters, we are used to being uncomfortable. We will persevere. Ain't no little bug gonna beat us! A small whisper of wind on the back of your neck at an inopportune time? Heck, yeah, that will beat us and has beaten us. But a little bug? No way!

My kids rediscovered Hay Day. Such a simple game.

If the treasury secretary even knows about Swede's payments, we are severely overpaying Swede!
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:If the treasury secretary even knows about Swede's payments, we are severely overpaying Swede!

I will know when I see the package from the treasury department with a little black bottle in it, that they are fed up with funding my elk hunts. The black bottle will have the skull and cross bones label peeled off, and probably come with instructions that say something on the order of "drink this to get stiff". The problem is that it will be referring to rigormortis and not what you think they are implying.
If any old hunter on Social Security gets an invitation now to meet with Rand Paul, please pass. Rand is a cheap skate and could be thinking a geezer shaking hands with him would be cheaper than the black bottle. :lol:
Swede

Postby Deanmac » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Here in GA we are staying home. Son is out of school for at least 3 more weeks. We are good on food and got another pickup from online order on Thursday.
Everyone be safe.
Deanmac

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Just got the official word, I'll be tel-working from home for a period of time. Initial plan is to work from home MON, WED, and FRI. Will head on post TUE and THU to do my "high side" work (can't do classified work from home of course). So, I'm an official Jerk at Home for at least three days of the work week ;). It's a good directive/move by our installation Commander. We've gotta try to flatten this virus curve …...
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Welcome to the corps RJ, even if you are just part time.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 14]

We have everything we need from beef to bourbon to green beans. I could easily not leave the house for necessities for two weeks. Well.... except for milk. I hate freezing it. For some reason it just doesn’t seem the same after it’s thawed. For exercise and fresh air I’ve been pedal biking. Several hours a day. My legs feel great and I feel like it’ll help my elk hunting. My ass is another story! I’m thinking about attaching a recliner on top of that thing!

Saddlesore stay put pardner! Make sure your wife changes clothes and washes up the minute she gets home. I hate to hear that you’re already having respiratory issues with the nature of what’s going in. But if you take quarantining serious you’ll be fine.

Let’s keep this thread going. It really helps me to socialize a bit. I miss my usual weekend out seeing a band and friends. :(
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby CampCreek » 03 24, 2020 •  [Post 15]

I'm an industrial mechanic and where I work the maintenance workforce has been split into two groups. One group works on site one week, the other group the next. While we are on the week away from the plant we are considered on call and can be called in to cover emergency jobs. Not sure how long they will keep this up. But I have plenty of projects at home to keep me busy, as long as they keep the lumber yard open!

Stay safe guys. We'll get through this.
CampCreek

Postby Lefty » 03 25, 2020 •  [Post 16]

Saddlesore,.. hope your health clears up soon.

Well the Sportsman's Expo and elk calling was "Postponed last Week. Yellowstone shutdown or I should say, isnt having an opening day so we canceled motels in Gardner and West Yellowstone. My wife and canceled our cruse to Alaska and that trip.
Each of my daughters are working Two in banking the other is at a grocery store.Her past 14 days have been crazy. He windo order came in from Home Depot, So I had a few "long" days
Today Im headed out to fill every gas can with $2.13 cent a gallon gas. Ill start flooring on my project house today or tomorrow .
Im still too busy. I might even go fishing. If the weather ha a day or two my wife and I may go ATV'ing and camp.

My wife did overhear that the BLM would like to close all of the BLM lands because there isn't anyone to patrol it,... Has there ever been anyone patrolling BLM lands :lol: ?
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby saddlesore » 03 25, 2020 •  [Post 17]

IS. We drink 2% milk and it freezes ok. The full fat milk does get clumpy.Thanks for the kind thoughts, Lefty too. I am feeling a bit better this AM, but then again the codeine cough med has me in a fog. But I am usually 1/2 in the fog anyway.
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2020 •  [Post 18]

Saddlesore get well soon buddy. Those mules would get lonesome with you not out talking to them and encouraging them to get ready for their next outing.
Lefty, I have no idea why the BLM can't have people out patrolling alone if they feel that is important. I worked alone many times and don't ever remember getting a virus out in the field. There are people with phones and 2 way radios in their home that can monitor folks that are out patrolling.
Swede

Postby Tigger » 03 25, 2020 •  [Post 19]

Okay, lets list some things to keep us busy:

1. Put a polish of Obenauf's on the boots
2. Clean the guns/any other gun work
3. Put gun locks on guns if they don't have them
4. Prepare human scent bombs to plant around Swede's tree stands this fall
5. Clean the gun safe out
6. Clean the hunting room/closet
7. Find outdated equipment/clothing that can be sold or donated
8. Offer to help Swede clean the WapitiTalk corporate jet
9. Do a Gear Review and post it on the Gear/Weapons + Gear Reviews section
10. Come up with ideas for our plan for 2020 Modifications to Big Red
11. Come up with a question or piece of advice that can be posted on WapitiTalk
12. Consider reaching out to elderly neighbors to offer to do their shopping for them or anything else they need
13. Review your First Aid Kit contents....adequate? Overkill? If you don't have one, you could prepare a small one!
14. Start/update a journal or a log of your hunting season (the engineer in me is coming out, but I track everything my kids and I harvest!)
15. Put together a Photo Book of all of your trips (hunting and non-hunting)

Other ideas?
Tigger

Postby Swede » 03 25, 2020 •  [Post 20]

Tigger wrote:4. Prepare human scent bombs to plant around Swede's tree stands this fall

That is an unnecessary waste of time as Swede already has his own stink bomb factory working from his stand.
If anyone wants my recipe it is: One bowl of Staggs two bean chili, with one hot dog ingested 1/2 hour to one hour before contact with the elk, or other enemies. Note to users: this recipe is deadly on the ground. Do not try it before going to church or other gatherings. It is more awful than Covid 19.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 03 27, 2020 •  [Post 21]

Well, i just had my entertsinment for the day. I step outside to take a leak and hear a swuirrel freaking out up in a tree. I figure it has to be s flying squirrel, as theyre nocturnal. I grab my rifle with the green spotlight and shine it up there. After a few seconds of squeaking i get to see him fly to another tree, then continue making s ruckus. Not every day you get to see a flying squirell launch.
wawhitey