Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Health Update, a.k.a. I may only rifle hunt this season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Health Update, a.k.a. I may only rifle hunt this season

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 03 19, 2020 •  [Post 1]

Alright, it's time for one more health update for you hooligans! I filled y'all in on all my new diseases back in January. The last thing I mentioned was being at high risk of colon cancer.

I imagined that at some time in future I might hear it was time for colon removal surgery, but didn't think it would come so quickly. I had a colonoscopy a couple weeks ago and the doctor diagnosed me with low grade dysplasia in the colon. This is essentially precancerous tissue, and it's distributed through a lot of my colon. In short, the only really good course of action for me is to have my colon cut out. Great timing, what with Coronavirus threatening to overload the medical system for months on end. Anyways, I will be going under the knife at the end of April hopefully, and then again a couple months later to hook me up with a sweet psuedo-colon. The surgery is called a J-pouch with take down if you're interested in googling it.

This means I won't be able to draw my bow for a couple months this summer, and probably won't be ready for any sort of weight in a backpack until late September/October. So I've waved adieu to archery season in the mountains, but I think I'll be able to hunt with Grandpa this fall if the world returns to normal. I thank God that this wasn't an active cancer diagnosis, and I'm also thankful that this surgery has really good long term prospects in terms of quality of life. Amazingly we can live without the colon... who woulda thunk it?
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Re: Health Update, a.k.a. I may only rifle hunt this season

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 03 19, 2020 •  [Post 2]

Thanks for the update Malachi! I did look at the procedure and it really does look like a highly successful one (developed in the 70s, very cool its a procedure that has stood the test of time). "Next" season, you'll be flinging arrows from your long bow and huntin' the high country I'm sure (with your new, improved bionic part). And hell ya, really happy you should be able to get out and hunt boom stick with grandpa this fall.... now that is a great end to a challenging year! Take care brother and so glad the diagnosis was not active "C", and, that there is a time tested procedure to get you back up and running, gunning, and hunting! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 03 19, 2020 •  [Post 3]

I am sorry about the colon diagnosis, but it could be a lot worse. I know a fellow that had that surgery years ago. I do not know what if any effect it had on his life style. He seemed to do everything he could before the surgery. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 03 21, 2020 •  [Post 4]

What doesn’t make you fall flat on your face makes you stronger. It is the hurdles of life that molds us into who we are.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Elkduds » 03 21, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Ain't that a kick in the head! From your post it sounds like you are approaching this head-on, no flinching or waiting to see if it goes away. You will likely spend time feeling miserable about this big life change, you may already be in that stage of coping w loss. Unavoidable and necessary, just not the place to get stuck. Considering how to do what matters to you, given what has to change, that is the light @ the end of the tunnel. Could be about family, work, hunting, career, or any mix of those. How your life is and will be matters more than how it was, as you accommodate your unavoidable changes. Following w interest to see how you get through this. When you need encouragement from the familiar voices here, we are standing by :!:
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 03 21, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Elkduds wrote:Ain't that a kick in the head! From your post it sounds like you are approaching this head-on, no flinching or waiting to see if it goes away. You will likely spend time feeling miserable about this big life change, you may already be in that stage of coping w loss. Unavoidable and necessary, just not the place to get stuck. Considering how to do what matters to you, given what has to change, that is the light @ the end of the tunnel. Could be about family, work, hunting, career, or any mix of those. How your life is and will be matters more than how it was, as you accommodate your unavoidable changes. Following w interest to see how you get through this. When you need encouragement from the familiar voices here, we are standing by :!:

I sure appreciate the support! It may be a kick in the head, but my momma says I've got a thick skull. :lol:

I'll be honest, I haven't had a lot of negative emotion about this news yet. I'm sure the first few months post surgery will suck, but I'm ready to roll through it. My liver is doing fantastic, and that's been the bigger worry all along. Big picture, I'm pretty happy to be getting this over with. Colitis and colon cancer are inextricably linked, and it was always just a matter of time. I'll be going into the surgery healthy and young, which makes the prospects of a fast recovery much, much better. Hurrah for no more colonoscopy's! And this means I don't have to agonize about whether I want to hunt CO mule deer this year or next!
Trumkin the Dwarf

Postby Lefty » 03 22, 2020 •  [Post 7]

It appears the outlook is very promising!!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

There are still plenty of other hunting opportunities out there. My surgeon offered me a crossbow permit . You could even go to the dark-side and hunt like Swede. When my dads health was tough the Local CO and a farmer set my dad up to hunt from his pickup
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 03 22, 2020 •  [Post 8]

Lefty wrote:It appears the outlook is very promising!!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

There are still plenty of other hunting opportunities out there. My surgeon offered me a crossbow permit . You could even go to the dark-side and hunt like Swede. When my dads health was tough the Local CO and a farmer set my dad up to hunt from his pickup

Rest assured, I'll be able to hunt this fall! It's just a matter of giving my abdominal wall enough healing time to be able to haul meat out. That's why September backpacking and hunting is basically out of the question.
Trumkin the Dwarf