Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Oops did I just mess up your hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Oops did I just mess up your hunt

Postby Lefty » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 1]

I’ve had others inadvertently goof up part or all of my hunt. Even had a few mess up my hunt on purpose.

Years back I had sole permission to goose hunt . A neighbor was always sneaking in and shooting geese.
Met a fellow working for our fish and game who really perked up when I mentioned the field. Then really got excited when he confirmed the trespassers name . Seemed this fellow was a bit notorious regarding his behavior . A few hunts into the season I had made a sweet four shot four bird s out of one flight limit on geese . I was done hunting. As I was picking up decoys a flight of birds came in and he started shooting in the air. I made a phone call to fish and game
Later that day I received a call from fish and game, and never had a situation of any kind afterwards.

Well to our story ; Saturday evening while ATVing north of Tucson AZ. My wife and I watched the cowboys move a bunch of cows to water then we headed up the trail. Met a hunter and his son.after a short conversation they were hunting javalinas (sp?). The fellow was all worked up. Another hunter had driven into where they had been hunting and “messed up” our hunt . He went on, and on and a bit about ethics. Sounded to be like the other hunter came in to hunt , after seeing it was being hunted told them he would go else where.
This first hunter was determined to find where he was hunting and get even. I tried to convince him he evening hunt could still be good and seemed to be a waste of hunting time looking for the other hunter

We parted ways a mile up the trail my wife and I spotted a guzzler. I stopped to check out the differences between theguzzlers in Idaho and these in Arizona, we were walking around visiting took a few pics, I kicked out a place so when we came back I could see tracks leading to the water
Then I spotted a trail cam then another, I posed ( yeah I’m the poster) for the camera
We left. At the atv my wife was rooting in the storage box, I turned to take a leak
My said quietly , there is a hunter up there
My question” is he watching me pee?”
”Yep”

Oops

We left
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Oops did I just mess up your hunt

Postby Swede » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 2]

People have messed up my hunt on numerous occasions. I don't mind when it is inadvertent, but when it is deliberate I do. I suppose I have messed up others on more than one occasion. A few times I have gotten acquainted with the people I barged in on and had a great visit. Most people know others are hunting too, and don't mind if you pass by.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 3]

6763A9E9-D075-4779-A9D9-612F78B193AA.jpeg
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 02 10, 2020 •  [Post 4]

Only twice have i had others stumble into my hunt, both respectfully backed off as low impact as they could.

The first i was on private land, and i dont believe anybody else had permission to hunt it, so the guy was almost certainly trespassing, which would explain his backing out and leaving without a fuss.

The second was in 2016. Id hiked up into public land on a gated road in the dark. Got 4 or 5 miles up, and not long after daybreak, right from the road, i heard a big commotion and grunting. A big old gnarly whitetail buck ran chasing a doe right by me, and as im trying to get him in my crosshairs after ranging etc, i heard footsteps. Look back down the rd behind me and here come 2 guys from the opposite direction, easier hike in from a different gate. I threw my fist up in the "stop" kind of gesture and they understood immediately and didnt move a muscle until i went back to them. The killer is, i had that buck in foolproof aim-for-vitals range, but unneccesarily screwing with my rangefinder etc is what cost me my chance. Anyway i told those guys what happened, showed them where the buck ran the doe, and told them where i was going to go to try to get s shot. They swung wide around, i set up and never saw that buck again thick fog didnt help. A few hours later they snuck down to where i was, said they were done for the season they had to go home, but they glassed up the buck not far above me where i couldnt see from my position, and they said he had a drop tine on one side
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Elkhntr08 » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 5]

Hiked an hour back in for an afternoon hunt in Wyoming. Right at dusk, here comes a little ***** on a dirt bike. Road within 20’ of me for 15 minutes or so. So much for that spot.
Elkhntr08

Postby saddlesore » 02 11, 2020 •  [Post 6]

Happens all the time in Colorado. Although I try very hard not to screw someone else up
saddlesore

Postby 7mmfan » 02 12, 2020 •  [Post 7]

I've only had one instance where someone intentionally ruined my hunt, but it was a doozy.

I had a cow tag for a unit in WA that has a lot of lowland sage brush country. I knew there was a group of cows bedded in the brush in one little draw and I was posted up on the ridge above them waiting for them to come out. Well, someone else knew they were there too because a couple quads and a big jacked up Bronco come driving up the road in the bottom (that they aren't supposed to be driving on) and they all pile out. I'm sitting there plane as day 150 yards away from them. The dad tells the kid, maybe 12 years old to go up one side of the draw. I'm sitting there thinking to myself this can't be happening. I yell at them that I'm right here, and they just keep going, totally ignoring me. All hell breaks loose and half a dozen cows come up the ridge running right at me. The kid swings his rifle up and starts chaining rounds off, I hit the dirt behind the rock pile I was sitting at, and the cows all run past no more than 50' away. I stand up and scream at them, they run down the hill, jump on their rigs and take off cross country chasing the elk. I was dumbstruck, and thankful to be alive. I've never experienced such total disregard for other people's hunts, and safety as I did that day.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Magic » 02 15, 2020 •  [Post 8]

We had it to happen a few years ago in Colorado and it was very obvious that the game busting was intentional. I don't know what happened but it just so happened that I had the Wildlife Officers phone number and he was very interested in what I had to say. That outfitter is no longer in business.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D