Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scrimping On Meals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scrimping On Meals

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Often we are in a hurry to get out and hunt. We need rest, so we wait as long as we can to get up and head out. We stay out as long as possible so our time back in camp is short. So how do you do meals. Do you have a full camp prepared meal in the morning and in the evening or do you just eat something from a can or sack?
I have instant breakfasts unless my brother is in camp. I barbeque/fry a burger or steak for dinner, bake a potato, and have fresh veggies. If I do not have the spud I may heat up something else like canned corn. At home I can't have coffee in the evening, but a hot cup of coffee, after a day out hunting does not disturb my sleep, so I will make one. My meals are simple, but good.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Scrimping On Meals

Postby saddlesore » 12 07, 2019 •  [Post 2]

I don't vary my diet very much from what I eat at home. Since I get up earlier than most so I can get the critters fed,I have extra time. Breakfeast is usually 3 egg,s 2 sausage patties, and hahs browns ,2-3 cups of coffee. Lunch is snacks. Supper is meat, veges, bread , or some variations, rueben sandwiches,Tacos,Burritos Fajitas, chili, ham& beans.

I refuse to eat out of a plastic bag.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 12 07, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I pre-cooked all my meals and vacuum seal and freeze them. We do tacos chili spaghetti fried rice cowboy gravy etc etc etc. Then all I have to do is plop it in hot water and wait a little bit while I'm getting reorganized for the next day's hunt. Makes meals very easy, and cuts way back on the amount of stuff I have to bring to camp, and shortens clean up significantly. I also like hot drink it night, and have started drinking Sleepytime tea. It definitely helps get me to sleep at night.

Breakfasts re usually oatmeal with protein powder or something else lightweight. I eat a lot of snacks throughout the day.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 12 07, 2019 •  [Post 4]

My hunting diet has been changing dramatically
Much of what I was eating was prepared at home; lots of egg sandwiches
Now with an RV I sometimes eat just like at home
Still fresh fruit off the trees from home
Sometimes added canned fruit
Less oatmeal more nuts and potatoes even more red meat than eggs
Hunting with others has changed what when and how I eat

I do try to keep a balanced diet
When hunting alone I tend to go in for the day
When hunting with others often back at camp or the truck mid day then nap eat and head back out
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 12 09, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I'm a very light eater in the morning. Usually just a banana or bagel at base camp; also will slurp down a hot cup of coffee. Backcountry/pack in hunts, just a granola bar in the AM and a cup of coffee. Food/snacks throughout the day for/from both base camp and pack in hunts are pre-packed before I depart for the hunt in plastic quart bags X the number of days to be hunting. They consist of various protein snacks (granola bars, meat/cheese pre-packed snacks, trail mix, dehydrated fruit, and a tuna or chicken salad packet with a couple of pieces of flat, shelf stable type bread). I have been getting bit fancy the past few years and actually packing a sandwich when base camping (meat n cheese, PB & honey), following my hunting partner's lead. Evening meals at base camp usually consist of a frozen/pre-packed dinner item from home that can be dropped into a boiling pot o' water and heated up. My buddy and I normally have a pretty good evening meal (unless we get back to base camp very late) consisting of mentioned "boil in a bag" pre-packed chow, or, some type of meat on the little grill (chops, brats, steaks, etc.) and a side (fried taters and onions is kind of our go to side). Backcountry is all freeze dried chow for the evening meal (Wild Zora, Mtn House, Backpackers Pantry, etc.). Of course a big fat elk loin, spread out over a few day's meals, is always on the menu when an elk falls.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 12 09, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Boil water.. 1 minute. Pour water into dehydrated meal pouch and talk about elk hunting for 9 minutes, eat, throw everything in the garbage sack and crawl into the sleeping bag. My partners and I all agree that we’re lucky if we can stay awake that long after doing what we do day in and day out. If we kill elk we start firing up the Blackstone propane griddle and eat like we’re at home.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby saddlesore » 12 10, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Years ago I use to carry one of those SVEA brass stoves in my saddle bags and a 16 Oz metal cup.We would get up,throw the saddles on, and go hunt. Stop about 9AM and boil some water for oatmeal and coffee. Lunch was dried fruit and jerky, maybe some sardines then hunt until dark. Back to camp the or many times we carried our small camps on a pack mule and camped where ever we were.. Dinner was Dinty Moore, canned spaghetti or such. Hunted from can see to can't see and packed meat in the dark.I took me quite a few years to realize I was doing this to feed my ego that I could go out and kill elk put them in the freezer. Fun was not entered into the equation.

Now , killing elk is towards the bottom of the list in a hunt and having a comfortable camp,good warm bed, and good eating are requirements for my hunting.
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 12 30, 2019 •  [Post 8]

To perform properly you need a decent diet.
While I was in my trapping hay-days other acquaintances bragged about their 20 or thirty or forty day weight loss. They were also some of the same guys that complained of burn out.
When you are burning thousands more calories than your normal day ,.. you just don't last if you dont eat properly
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby lilshootergirl » 01 07, 2020 •  [Post 9]

About a month out I start freezing meals that I can reheat, makes hunting so much easier. I usually loose 10-15 lbs each season. Maybe I'm moving too much while hunting? It's like something in me drives me, excitement!
If you can't find me, I'm not lost. I'm hunting!
lilshootergirl

Postby Swede » 01 08, 2020 •  [Post 10]

lilshootergirl wrote:I usually loose 10-15 lbs each season.

So do you fill your pockets with rocks so you don't blow away? Or can you bounce around through the forest like you were sprinkled with fairy dust? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Magic » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 11]

Because of the calorie demand while hunting, I try to stay ahead of the eating curve. Dry cereal/milk, boiled egg, banana, and a cup of joe for breakfast. Mid morning is trail bar & candy bar. Lunch is a flatbread (ham) sandwich, apple, and another trail or candy bar. Mid afternoon is another trail bar. Evening meals are pre-packed/frozen vacuum sealed meats which may be chicken, beef, spaghetti, etc. over rice or potatoes, a canned veggi, canned peaches/pears and cookies.

In my younger years I did my share of pack in and freeze dried. It helps when your nights are spent in a camper e/w frig, stove top, & microwave. ;)
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 12]

Magic: Good to see you are still lurking around here every once in awhile.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Magic » 01 10, 2020 •  [Post 13]

Thanks Bill. I had Total Knee Replacement (TKR) surgery Nov 18th (old motorcycle injury) and finally had time to try to reconstruct some of my old bookmarks on this new laptop. I was discharged by my Dr. today but I have missed the majority of our deer season. :(

Son Marty and I plan to make a 1st season rifle Elk hunt this October so this knee had to be fixed. We alternate hunting each time we go and this will be my year to tag-a-long.

My (and your) "cattle sale barn" friends, Mike & Cary hunted your area last Fall but the Elk were already on private so they bombed out.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D