Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Worst tasting meat

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Worst tasting meat

Postby Lefty » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Since we're around the campfire . I have my feet up and a hunk of meat on a 7 foot willow branch

Ive eaten about every kind of northern game available. And even some southern stuff from some good'ole' boys where the meat tasted fine to fantastic.
gator, horse, mt lion, bobcat are all quite tasty.
Snake there isnt enough meat to cover the salted butter flavor :D

With enough spice or if I dont know; dog, house cat and coyote are good. Ok house cat is quite good.even so-much better if you find out later.

I may get evicted for this one but Ive never had good or decent catfish,.. and only ok sturgeon. I would still rather have an up river spawned out pink salmon( ok not really,.. )
For small game; skunk possum and coon,.. Id become a cannibal first or starve. When my brother trapped way south they had the ladies lined up to skin and buy the carcasses. I think it was $1.00 possum, $1.25 for coon( 1980) The had one black gal that traded them supper and breakfast for critters. He had to leave the south , he kept putting on weight when she did their cooking.
I use to put up hundreds of lbs of beaver,.. great meat. but that whole tail idea,.. I know if I was starving the protein and fats would be fine,.. but I think I would make it bacon crispy.
the whole rodent thing, muskrat, , squirrel, rabbit,.. , they are almost like chicken,.. boring.

I shot wood ducks out of a small hole days in a row. terrible just from that location. Any duck seems to be fine. but a fatty teal , gadwall or mallard smoked,.. yummy

Then the huge blacktail buck,.. stunk when I gutted him,.. stunk when I skinned him. I cut off the back straps to cook and my wife wouldnt touch them the house smelled so bad. I had that deer processed,..., they wanted to charge me as an elk.
Got the meat home, tried a few cuts. And gave the meat to the mens shelter.

When living in Minnesota fellows hated antelope,.. shoot them in the high desert of Wyoming, let them lay on the ground for three days then drive home two more days in 80 degrees,.. I think thats the maggots your tasting.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Worst tasting meat

Postby wawhitey » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Funny you dont like sturgeon. My dad said he doesnt either, but id never tried it until earlier this year when my taxidermist gave me some he had caught on the columbia. I thought it was great, had to mooch a little more from him.

Interesting you say you like bobcat too. I asked my taxidermist if bobcat was good to eat like cougar. That guy will eat anything, and i know he loves cougar meat. He said hes tried several times, but bobs are just not good eating at all. I hung a skinned out bobcat carcass on a tree in my back yard hoping i might get to pop a coyote from my living room window. Set a trail cam up in front of it. Had coyotes and a big lion walk right under it with no interest, and a bear walked up, put his paw on the tree and sniffed the bob carcass and walked off. I figure if a yote or bear wont touch it my taxis assessment of their culinary value must be spot on.

Bobcat carcass circled in pic. Nothing but a raven touched it.
Attachments
20191026_165854.jpg
20191026_165854.jpg (221.16 KiB) Viewed 2939 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Hmmmm! Pronghorn antelope you say. Let me tell ya how to fix it. You take one pound of ground antelope and mix it with one pound of Alpo. If you are lucky, maybe your dog will eat it. Then again, maybe he won't ! :?

Now if you want some really fine eating, there is nothing mush better than a batch of frog legs rolled in flour and fried. And the second best would have to be Bobwhite quail breast. My mouth is watering just talking about both of them. :o
>>>---WW---->

Postby wawhitey » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Ive heard a lot of very conflicting opinions on the quality of pronghorn. Some guys say its awful, some say its fantastic. Ive only tried it once when i was a little kid. Had some pronghorn steak. I remember it being really good.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Whitey, I have had both. I have never shot an antelope so all I can say is what it is like to taste some antelope. The stuff I was offered from a neighbor was lousy. The box of antelope the butcher gave me by mistake was good. When I realized I had a box of antelope instead of elk, I called the butcher shop. I offered to trade them and they said they could not take it back, but held the elk for me. That was easy. I believe the antelope the neighbor gave me was properly taken care of. I have hunted with him and he took good care of his meat. I think the problem is with the animal and is based on what it eats.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 27, 2019 •  [Post 6]

X2 on the antelope. We had both of them in the cooler on ice within 2 hours of shooting. We made into brats 50% pork and 50% goat. Thank God I like ketchup to kill the taste.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby saddlesore » 10 27, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Worst tasting was a Rocky Mountain Goat.Black meat and very strong. Javelina runs close second. A friend shot a nice Bighorn sheep, but cut it up in big pieces and threw it in the freezer.That stuff smelled so bad you couldn't even cook it in the house. I think the fat turn ed rancid. However,the ones I have shot were some of the best wild game I ever had.

In regards to antelope, the ones I have killed in Wyoming and west of Colorado Springs here were bad tasting and smelled worse especially those stinky old bucks. Antelope killed in eastern Colorado where the they feed on sorghum hay or winter wheat are probably the best tasting wild game there is. Way better than even .

Fish wise channel cats caught in clean water are great. I prefer them over trout, except maybe brookies caught in high mountain streams. Mud cats,blue or bullhead catfish, whatever folks call them are terrible. Probably best tasting fresh water fish is walleye. Here in Colorado though we have a lot of heavy metals like mercury and you can't eat the older fish.There is one premier walleye lake in southern Colorado,but they advise not eating any fish out of it.

I don't eat cats or bear or anything that eats meat. Diving ducks ( we call them fish ducks ) are terrible tasting. Gees e that migrate in from up north taste like the mud flats they feed on during the summer..
saddlesore

Postby Lefty » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 8]

Wow
I don’t know what you guy’s are doing to antelope Or family’s favorite
The desert sheep my father in law gave us was even better

Saddle sore while I’ve never had good catfish
Yellow belly white belly bullheads spring caught in clean lakes are good

My dad was a hardcore walleye fisherman but yellow perch fit right in
Maybe it’s the water and water temperature but lakes in MN ND And SD
Have fine crappie and sunfish/ bluegill

I started this bag I’ve had meat from. 3 different bears I didn’t care for any of it

Wa when we had carcass piles from trapped fur bearers beaver muskrat went fast
Eventually we had to dig a pit for Mink and coon carcasses and push them in the hole with a tractor
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Tigger » 10 28, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Big Game: (Tie) Best is antelope and elk. We have shot 8 antelope the last 3 years and they are all awesome. Right there with them is elk. I did a taste test last summer with steaks. the consensus was this order: 1. Antelope 2. Elk 3. Beef 4. Whitetail. But all were good.

Birds: Another tie. Wood Duck and ruffed grouse. Woodies on the grill with a little barbecue sauce get scarfed up before we sit down to eat unless I threaten to chop off any finger I see trying to steal a piece. Pheasants are third. Geese are hardly edible unless you make something with them. Sharptail and Huns are barely okay at their very best.

Fish: The best: 1. Walleye. 2. Crappies/'gills/perch. Northers are somewhere between okay and good. Salmon is horrible. It tastes like freezer burned, 4 year old fishy icky yucky stuff. I have tried to like Salmon and always take a bite when someone offers me some and it has always, always been fishy. Trout is the same way.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 10 29, 2019 •  [Post 10]

Isn't walleye and perch in the same family? We don't have any perch locally.

There is late season doe antelope here. ( December) They are herded up in 100- 200 goats. Mostly on winter wheat pastures. Most farmers want them gone as they use that for early spring cattle forage WE cab buy two tags which yields about 70 pounds of meat. It isn't much of a hunt. More of a cull, but temps usually are in the low teens and single digits. It is getting so it is too cold for me. Buck hunting in late September to early October is zoo. Now days it takes couple of pref points to draw a buck tag.
saddlesore