Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

cooler suggestion for icing meat

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

cooler suggestion for icing meat

Postby Ubrerer » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys. im on a budget so i cant spend a lot. i decided to try and ice the meat for few days before debone and freeze. just got the coleman 120quart from walmart that was at $54. so far i think because the meat was warm so the ice melted faster. but 4hours later and it still melting pretty fast. was wondering how often you guys have to add more ice with which cooler https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-small-coolers/ you are using. Thanks.
Ubrerer

Re: cooler suggestion for icing meat

Postby wawhitey » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Pack that thing to the brim with ice, it will last longer
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Fridaythe13th » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Take it off the bone before ice it well cool a lot faster. If there is room use block ice. We have a base camp with a generator a cheap freezer is pretty easy to find.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Lefty » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Dry ice

I didnt discover dry ice until I moved west.

at a buck a pound,.. and 110 degrees colder
If you just want to cool the meat put crushed dry ice on top of your ice

a lb might be plenty
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Remember to “bag” any ice you put on top of your meat. Water and meat do not do well together. Yep, if transporting a long way...suspend dry ice in a chunk of cloth above the meat in your cooler and you’re good for days.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 17, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Remember to “bag” any ice you put on top of your meat. Water and meat do not do well together. Yep, if transporting a long way...suspend dry ice in a chunk of cloth above the meat in your cooler and you’re good for days.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 10 20, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Now many areas are cool enough you won’t need ice
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 8]

The trick to most coolers is to "pre-cool" them. I use frozen milk jugs and put as many in the cooler as I can. Do this for 24 hours before you intend to put meat/regular ice in them. This will bring the temperature of the plastic and insulation down, and your ice won't melt nearly as fast. If i'm packing for an extended trip, I do this at home, close the cooler and never open it again until I'm ready to put meat in it. Most of the time the jugs are still nearly frozen and the cooler is as cold as it can possibly be.

As others have stated, use block ice if you can, or suspend dry ice above the meat. Find a way to isolate the ice from your meat, as the water will do your meat no favors as the ice melts. The drier your meat is, the better.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Fact: the less expensive coolers (which many of us have) do not work as well as the higher end coolers. The less expensive coolers "do not" have insulation in the lid (they are hollow). To improve the efficiency of say, the Coleman or Igloo brands...., simply drill a few holes in the lid and spray/fill the lid with some of the spray foam (available at most hardware stores). Cooler tech tip of the day :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby 7mmfan » 10 25, 2019 •  [Post 10]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Fact: the less expensive coolers (which many of us have) do not work as well as the higher end coolers. The less expensive coolers "do not" have insulation in the lid (they are hollow). To improve the efficiency of say, the Coleman or Igloo brands...., simply drill a few holes in the lid and spray/fill the lid with some of the spray foam (available at most hardware stores). Cooler tech tip of the day :D

I like that. I'm going to give that a go.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 26, 2019 •  [Post 11]

If your cooler has a drain plug, leave it open so any water can drain out as the ice melts.
>>>---WW---->