Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Caribou crossing

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Caribou crossing

Postby wawhitey » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Well this is ridiculous. Tied up here near kivalina, weather turned bad, had to abort mission. Pulled off the dock and jogged around for a couple days. Finally got back into the dock at 0600 this morning. Woke up just now and hey, there are a ton of caribou all over the beach, cool. Now we just got word, the caribou migration is crossing the road between the dock and the mine. So all work has to stop. Now we are losing our weather window. Barge isnt even offloaded yet, let alone back loaded. With weather coming, this could end up costing us another week. Now its not only a guarantee that i wont be home in time to hunt elk, but this job could now end up cutting into my whitetail season. Stupid caribou. I dont see why the trucks cant just drive slow, the critters will move out of the way, but this is native land. Their rules i guess. I just want to get this damn barge done and head south.
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Re: Caribou crossing

Postby Swede » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Caribou taste ok, and they have a great set of antlers. hint. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Looks like that big whitetail buck you have trail cam pictures of may be save for another year! :roll:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Geezus, I hope them transients clear out soon so you can get back to the job and "not" have your hunting seasons affected.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Enjoy what you can!!! I know it could be hurting the wallet but,.. enjoy
Can you mess with them, practice stalks, calling etc
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 10 09, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Lefty wrote:Enjoy what you can!!! I know it could be hurting the wallet but,.. enjoy
Can you mess with them, practice stalks, calling etc

Oh its not hurting the wallet, its filling it. I get paid by the day. All the money in the world aint worth a damn though if i never get off the boat. Cant mess with the caribou. Lot of eyes on the migration. The natives are pretty protective of them. White boys cant hunt here. Im not even supposed to be wandering around on the tundra up here i dont think.
Weather came back up and were off the dock again. :(
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 10 10, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Day 38 on this run so far, and still dont even have the barge half way done, and its a long way back, weather is getting gnarly. 40+ foot seas in the gulf, its starting. Luckily im nowhere near that right now, up in the chukchi sea. On the bright side, the caribou have crossed and are no longer holding us up.
wawhitey

Postby wawhitey » 10 14, 2019 •  [Post 8]

More jogging for weather up by kivalina.... groundhog day..... getting some cabin fever here. This run is definitely going to cut into deer season. Bering is about to come unglued. Oh boy!
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2019 •  [Post 9]

Since you are just waiting around, why don't you make us some caribou jerky?
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 10 14, 2019 •  [Post 10]

If it would have been legal for me to drop one of those suckers id have borrowed a rifle from somebody and you bet your ass id be eating bou steak right now. Having bear and coho for dinner tonight instead. Figured id give the cook a break and do dinner myself tonight, with stuff i brought from home. Going to whip up some huckleberry walnut banana bread soon too. Fattening up so i dont freeze to death in my deer stand again :lol:
wawhitey

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2019 •  [Post 11]

Man, it is cruel and unusual punishment being stuck with nowhere to go, and no caribou tag.
Swede

Postby wawhitey » 11 02, 2019 •  [Post 12]

Day 60 today, gulf of alaska, making decent speed back to seattle. Going to be back just in time to haul ass home, get my gear together, shoot my bow a little to shake the rust (and salt) off, head up to the happy hunting grounds and set some mock scrapes, check a few cams, and get to sleep, waking up before daylight to climb into a tree. I keep having dreams that im back home hunting my buck, then i wake up and im still on the boat.
wawhitey

Postby 7mmfan » 11 02, 2019 •  [Post 13]

Good luck man. That's rough duty. 60 days on a boat dreaming about hunting can't be easy.
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan