Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New trophy wall

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New trophy wall

Postby 7mmfan » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 1]

Spent evenings this week putting together a new trophy wall in my garage. I enjoy wood working with distressed old pallet wood, so I had a ton of old pallet slats laying around that I had salvaged. Decided that a big wall to hang my heads and horns on would be a good idea. Turned out exceptionally well IMO. I just need to rattle can a few of the peek through paint spots and then get more pallets to finish off the wall in its entirety. Maybe paint the ceiling with a contrasting color, but not sure I want to put that much effort into the garage. Its a great start though and now I have a bonafide spot for horns that aren't allowed in the house (one dandy mule deer and elk rack is all thats allowed per the boss).
Attachments
wall.jpg
wall.jpg (129.61 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
I hunt therefore I am. I fish therefore I lie.
7mmfan

Re: New trophy wall

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 2]

How cool is that! It really adds nice contrast/background to the critter skulls and antlers (much more than the old white walls). I may copy your idea Rory (they say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, yes?).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby 7mmfan » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 3]

Something like that. I realized as I was putting this all together, just how many heads and horns I don't have anymore. At least 4 or 5 decent bucks that were dropped, broken, given to a kid, or cut up for dog chews. Time to start rebuilding.
7mmfan

Postby Swede » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Nice trophy wall 7mm.
I wish I had kept all of my better antlers. I moved a lot of times and went into the service( navy) and life happened. It was not important at the time as I was hunting for the meat only. Many bucks and one nice bull I have no pictures or antlers from. I have no idea haw many small bucks and cow elk I have shot with out so much as a picture. It was several years after I was married that we got a camera.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 08 02, 2019 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Nice trophy wall 7mm.
I wish I had kept all of my better antlers. I moved a lot of times and went into the service( navy) and life happened. It was not important at the time as I was hunting for the meat only. Many bucks and one nice bull I have no pictures or antlers from. I have no idea haw many small bucks and cow elk I have shot with out so much as a picture. It was several years after I was married that we got a camera.

For me, I want something visual that my son can see every day to help spark the interest. We walk under my elk head leaving the house every day, and I have a big mule deer head in our home office, but that's it. I remember a friend of my Dad's had all kinds of horns in his garage growing up and I loved looking at them when we went over there. Hopefully my son does the same in our garage. He certainly recognizes what they are, and points at my shirt with an elk rack on it when he sees the elk in the garage. When I told him we were eating elk for dinner the other night, he ran out to the garage and pointed at the antlers! I was one proud papa!
7mmfan

Postby Lefty » 08 03, 2019 •  [Post 6]

Nice display

My wife said I couldn't put anything on the wall unless it was bigger than hers. She knew it wasn't likely I ever could. And haven't
She took down the furs and mounts I had . So out house has a few wildlife prints, horns are in the barn/shop
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Elkhntr08 » 08 04, 2019 •  [Post 7]

Nice trophy wall. That woods not easy to work with. Ya did good.
I knew I hit the bride jackpot. We had just started a new home when we went to Africa. As I took each animal, see was deciding which room it would go in and the color scheme. Master bedroom is the zebra room. I get to hunt and my wife decides where to hang the mounts. And she’s not a hunter.
Elkhntr08

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 04, 2019 •  [Post 8]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcyXes7MPg

That's a pretty cool wall. Breaking down pallets is a chore. How do you do it? Here is a link to one of the easiest ways I have ever seen. I think he only split one board in the process.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby 7mmfan » 08 05, 2019 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMcyXes7MPg

That's a pretty cool wall. Breaking down pallets is a chore. How do you do it? Here is a link to one of the easiest ways I have ever seen. I think he only split one board in the process.

I like that method, that's pretty slick. I just us a sawzall and cut the nails between the slat and the frame. I like leaving the nail heads in the board for aesthetics but obviously can't have them hanging out the back for most uses. I can break down about 1 pallet every 2 minutes or so on average. I cherry pick the heavy dark wood pallets out if I have the time though, and they often are a little tougher than a traditional pine or hemlock pallet. I spend most of my time really looking for ones that have unique features like knot holes and heavy saw blade marks.
7mmfan