Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Serious Are You?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Serious Are You?

Postby Swede » 07 22, 2019 •  [Post 1]

How serious do you take hunting especially your favorite or most expensive hunts?

Personally I am dedicated, persistent and patient, but have time for some extra or nonsensical times around camp too. I am disappointed if I don't get something, but can move on. In addition there is a chance I will cut my hunt short this season due to our pastor retiring the second day of archery season. I am ok with that and will come home if it appears to be important for the church. In other words I could not persuade him to postpone his retirement until late October.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Serious Are You?

Postby saddlesore » 07 22, 2019 •  [Post 2]

Not too serious. When I go, I try my best to punch my tag and put everything into I am physically capable of. But when the end of that season comes, I am glad I did it whether I punched my tag or not. This fall I will hunt 9 days during ML season,9 days during 2nd rifle season and tag along with a young friend a few days when archery season opens. Not even having a tag, but hoping to pack his elk out for him. I don't need to ever kill another elk and I didn't put in for deer or antelope this year. I guess I would say I am real serious about going, but not too serious about killing an elk. If I do kill an elk,I would like it to be towards the end of the season. However, if a stupid one walks by opening morning, I will pull the trigger.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 07 23, 2019 •  [Post 3]

I have a never ending sense of humor specializing in sarcasm. At night the tent is full of laughter... or snoring. But I can’t think of many good reasons to cut a hunt short. I’m pretty hardcore about punching my tag. I’ve hunted hard for 14 days straight without a break. I push myself every morning. I may have a mid day snooze if my body really needs a rest but it will be somewhere on the mountain. I’m very confident which keeps me going and the one thing I’ll tell myself is that before I know it I’ll be back to work wishing I could drag myself out of bed in elk camp and force myself up a mountain to go hunt elk. To answer your question I guess I’m pretty serious.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Tigger » 07 23, 2019 •  [Post 4]

Just a smidge less serious than Indian Summer. 14 days straight might be hard without a tiny break. We usually are lucky (?) enough to get rained or stormed out one morning and we run into town to resupply. But the rest of the time, it is game on and pretty serious. Although we do make it a fun trip. Convincing a hunting buddy that pine pitch is nature's gum comes to mind. Pretty sure I may have spooked an elk with my laughter if it was within earshot. There have been other things like that to make the trip just plain fun.
Tigger

Postby Lefty » 07 23, 2019 •  [Post 5]

I seriously want to enjoy my hunts, my naps , family, food etc. But I also put in the effort to make things happen,..and I guess I enjoy that too

I dont want to sound all business like, but Im wired to do my best or compete with others and myself.

Im not selfish but I do a lot that only matters to me.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Indian Summer » 07 23, 2019 •  [Post 6]

I compete with myself. There’s nobody watching me or being impressed because I get out of my sleeping bag or hike further. I’m very goal oriented. When I’m working I have deadlines and nothing stops me from being done on time. It’s always better to get ahead than to fall behind and play catch up. There’s definitely a deadline when we are elk hunting. It’s either time to make the long drive home or the season is over. Time marches on so I don’t quit when I’m tired. I quit when the job is done. Great meals and friends and family time will be there when I’m done. I’ll enjoy all of that more if I accomplish my goal or at least go to bed at night knowing I gave it 110%.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro