Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wolf Hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wolf Hunting

Postby MTLongdraw » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

If I'm lucky enough I may have some time to get out this winter and hunt some wolves. Has anybody had any luck over the last couple years doing this? If so what has worked etc? My theory of just being out and about is not working. I've walked about 25 miles this week alone and haven't even seen a wolf track. I don't have a trappers license and we can't use electronic calls. I did buy a howler though.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: Wolf Hunting

Postby JoeH2o » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You need to locate them. When I say that, I mean, you need to drive and howl each and every draw, drainage, spur ridge, ect, ect, ect. Early morning in the dark and late at night are the best times. When you howl, give them a couple long drawn out howls every couple mins, then just listen. Sometimes it will take 10-15min to get an answer, so be patient. They'll just sit and try to figure out if they know you or not, but once they start talking they don't shut up. Wolves run huge loops, and the ones I chased last year would be gone from a spot for 4-5 days, then return to the exact same spot. I don't know how far they go, but I do know they will return. I might set up a trail camera this year to try and figure out a pattern on one pack that seems to have a monster lead dog.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby LckyTylr » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I'm going to concentrate my Wolf hunting around the Elk/Deer wintering ranges. I can't imagine that where I find Wolf tracks during archery season will hold Wolves when there food is nowhere to be found. I'm going to set up on some elk migration paths that I found last year and hope for the best. Lots of walking.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Indian Summer » 12 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Where are you guys hunting? Man there are many many roads in the Bitterroot that lion hunters can't run because of wolves. You can cut wolf tracks in only a few hours any day as long as there's snow. You'd never drive more than 5 or 6 roads before finding them.

I've used cow calls to call wolves to with 10 feet of me. But I knew they were in the area as they we howling like crazy. We've howled them right into casmp! Wolves in the 250 unit are seeing no humans. With no elk and deer permits there they have been pretty undisturbed and I'd say that's the best to place to hunt. Find the wintering elk and it won't take long to find wolves. Medicine Hot Springs Road, Andrews Road, Porcupine Road, Laird Creek Road to name a few good ones. In the west fork Piquett Creek Road, Overwhich Road... or any back in that area.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro