Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk and Rain

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk and Rain

Postby GoGriz1234 » 09 14, 2021 •  [Post 1]

It looks like it might rain for three of the seven days I will be chasing elk on the mountain (I leave in two days). What do you guys expect elk to do in the rain and how does your hunting approach change, if any? Will the rut keep them going in the rain no matter what? Thanks guys!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Re: Elk and Rain

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 15, 2021 •  [Post 2]

Light or misty rains can be good and don't really effect the elk activity all that much. Hard, driving rain can make them hole up. But there are always exceptions to the rule. You only have so many days to hunt so just do it!!!!!

Rain does have some advantages. 1) it makes you able to move around with less noise. 2) rain can drive your scent downward so game can't smell you as well. 3) you'll have less competition from other hunters as most of them will be sitting in camp playing cards or what ever.

The big disadvantage is you will get your tail soaked if you don't dress for it. :o :shock:
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby GoGriz1234 » 09 15, 2021 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the reply WW! I guess as always the best Teacher is experience, so I guess I’ll charge it and report back on what I find!
GoGriz1234

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Marshall

Postby Swede » 09 28, 2021 •  [Post 4]

The best thing I have noticed about a soaker rain is that it quietens things down in the woods. You can walk around quieter, but also the squirrels and birds are no out very much. The elk may feed longer in the day so keep your eyes constantly open for them when you move about in the forest.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby longbowelk » 10 02, 2021 •  [Post 5]

I have hunted in the rain before where it was wet enough we had to go to town and dry our clothes in the laundromat to continue hunting. it did not stop the elk in any way juts made it tougher to get around when hiking on the side of a hill in the mud.
longbowelk