Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

$3,000 Crossbow?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

$3,000 Crossbow?

Postby Beendare » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 1]

Would you ever buy a $3,000 crossbow?

So I have a buddy that has a design for what he tells me is a badazz crossbow. I won't get into the specifics but one of his designs was purchased by Barnett or one of those outfits...so the guy has some skills.

Personally, I'm not a fan. He says they are one of the fastest selling weapons across the US. Something like 850,000 of them sold in 2016 I think he said.

He is going for the high end market....seems crazy to me...your thoughts?
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Re: $3,000 Crossbow?

Postby Roosiebull » 07 23, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I cannot imagine. You can buy a REALLY nice rifle and REALLY nice glass on it for 3k. I personally wouldn't buy a x now for 50 bucks (unless I could resell it for a big profit) because I have no practical use for an x bow.
Roosiebull

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I personally think people are crazy to give $1800 for a regular bow. No way in heck I’d pay that for a xbow. Don’t mind paying for a good rifle, I can get my money back. A bow is like a car, loses value the first year.
Elkhntr08

Postby Lsb » 07 24, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Roosiebull wrote:I cannot imagine. You can buy a REALLY nice rifle and REALLY nice glass on it for 3k. I personally wouldn't buy a x now for 50 bucks (unless I could resell it for a big profit) because I have no practical use for an x bow.

This
Lsb

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 25, 2018 •  [Post 5]

I'll test it out for them, but no way I'm buying
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby pointysticks » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 6]

is it that new Ravin Crossbow? that thing changes the game. lots of new innovations.

i think it is $2500 for the loaded one around here. if/when i need a Crossbow, i am buying the best one. i looked thru the scope, and there is a 100 yard pin. crazy.

i'll never jump to any conclusions on how a person spends their money..we all come from different places. i know a guy that bought a $900 knife for the woods. it is so expensive he wont use it. hahaha..but his money, his choices.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Swede » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 7]

I got to looking into my crystal ball and saw no crossbow here. When I have to hang up my regular bow, it will either be a rifle hunt or rocking chair for me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 07, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I was forced into using a crossbow if I wanted to continue hunting. I figured at my age and with a bad shoulder I wouldn't have all that many years of bow hunting left. So, $3000 is entirely out of the question for me. I used my Cabela's points and $68 bucks for the one I have.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Beendare » 08 16, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I think that Raven is my buddies buddy.

Well we shall see how he does.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 08 17, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Roosiebull wrote:I cannot imagine. You can buy a REALLY nice rifle and REALLY nice glass on it for 3k. I personally wouldn't buy a x now for 50 bucks (unless I could resell it for a big profit) because I have no practical use for an x bow.

You ask me if I would pay $2000 for say.....a fly fishing setup.

It would be a simple “no” since I don’t fly fish.

I probably wouldn’t even respond to the thread. :)

But personally. Threads like this are odd to me. There are infinite items and cost that could fit in this topic.

Homes, trucks,rifles, diamond rings.. you name it.

Why does what someone else (and on a forum that would mean a total stranger) find value in even generate interest?

If I lost an arm, and wanted to hunt during bow season I would buy a $3000 xbow. If I lost the ability to walk, same thing. Carbon fiber/titanium wheelchair.:D Who cares if someone says” damn, that idiot bought a $10k chair”
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Roosiebull » 09 03, 2018 •  [Post 11]

pointysticks wrote:

You ask me if I would pay $2000 for say.....a fly fishing setup.

It would be a simple “no” since I don’t fly fish.

I probably wouldn’t even respond to the thread. :)

But personally. Threads like this are odd to me. There are infinite items and cost that could fit in this topic.

Homes, trucks,rifles, diamond rings.. you name it.

Why does what someone else (and on a forum that would mean a total stranger) find value in even generate interest?

If I lost an arm, and wanted to hunt during bow season I would buy a $3000 xbow. If I lost the ability to walk, same thing. Carbon fiber/titanium wheelchair.:D Who cares if someone says” damn, that idiot bought a $10k chair”

all good points, but even if I had one arm and had to use an x bow, I don't think I could buy a super high end one, they are all heavy and awkward to pack, and I don't need one that shoots really accurately at 100 yds, like I don't need a bow that does that either.

I would likely just rifle hunt if it came to that, I cannot see ever having the love of shooting an x bow. I can appreciate a nice bow, a nice rifle, a nice revolver, but I just don't have it in me to spend much on an x bow.

I understand your concept though, and do agree.
Roosiebull

Postby VT Sasquatch » 09 09, 2018 •  [Post 12]

It’s expensive but if it performs better than the competition, people will buy it. I was looking at buying a new crossbow recently and the upper mid-range bows were around $1200.
VT Sasquatch