Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How Long To Tune?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How Long To Tune?

Postby Swede » 07 02, 2018 •  [Post 1]

How long does it take for you to tune your bow and broadhead setup? For me it varies a lot. I expect it may take a couple of evenings this year. I will do it in August not too long before I leave for my hunt. The felt base I have on my rest will wear down if I tune too soon. It may take more than one evening as I get tired, and it is a waste of time to keep shooting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: How Long To Tune?

Postby jmez » 07 02, 2018 •  [Post 2]

Usually about 30 minutes.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I'm a odd duck I leave my bow sighted in for broadhead year around. I just change my aiming point in league. To this day I have never had a bow the shoots field tip the same as bh it doesn't matter what kind of broad head mechanical or fix. There is a huge lack of time in the summer to practice so I just shoot broad heads.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Ive been lucky the last two years and havent had to touch anything. Broadheads shot just like my field points. Im hoping its the case this year too. I tinkered with my bow shooting a lot of different broadheads only to get my bow out of tune. Just not for me. If its not broken I dont fix it.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby jmez » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 5]

A lot of it depends on your familiarity with the bows as well. I've been shooting Hoyt's for a long time and I can pretty much tune them without shooting an arrow. Also shoot Bowtech and the Binary system is easy to tune. Both bows set to factory specs and a couple of yoke leg twists and you are done.

The RX-1 was a little different this year as it is a completely new system and you don't adjust it the same as the old Cam 1/2 system. I also had major arrow flight problems with mine out of the box. Had to get in touch with some Hoyt people to get it fixed. After swapping limb shims around all it took was a twist in one yoke and a twist out of the opposite to get it tuned.
jmez

First Name: jason
Last Name: mez

Postby Swede » 07 03, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I shoot my bow several thousand times before the season opens. I only shoot field points until it is time to tune. The pad on the rest wears down over the Summer, so I am slightly off. I set my rest 13/16 inch away from the riser and move the rest so that it is near level holding an arrow. Usually that is very close, but sometimes some fine tuning is needed to get the broadheads to hit where the field points do. I can shoot 20-25 times, but after that I am wasting time, and probably messing up it I continue to do any adjusting.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 07 04, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Lucked out this time. Got a new rest a couple months ago, shop set it at center shot, and broadheads are right with field points to 60 yds, so no time this time
Roosiebull

Postby Elkhntr08 » 07 04, 2018 •  [Post 8]

I fuss with my bow year round. Change broadheads two or three times. Guess I’m lucky, when I screw on broadheads, they shoot to the same point as field points.
Elkhntr08

Postby pointysticks » 07 09, 2018 •  [Post 9]

i had one bow that was so easy. it was almost self tuning.

i would pick up arrows at the shop and shoot perfect bullet holes. any arrow. it made me think Spine was a myth.

then i got OWNED by another bow. i dont think i ever got it perfect..in my defense the company swapped the way the cables went thru the guides. after that, my confidence was shattered. i never killed a single animal with that bow.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l