Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The last piece

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The last piece

Postby 2Rivers » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 1]

What's the last piece of equipment you need to purchase for your hunt this fall? I just ordered a pair of boots. Everything else I need I should already have, although I will probably stop at Cabelas in Mitchell or Rapid City on my way west in September, just for last minute necessities.
2Rivers

Re: The last piece

Postby Swede » 06 29, 2018 •  [Post 2]

I think it is just gas and groceries for me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Old school » 06 30, 2018 •  [Post 3]

I just ordered a couple reeds from Travis and I also just bought a pair of Lowa Caminos. Some Misc stuff as well - water bladder off Camofire and a stove jack to have sewn into my existing Kodiak Canvas tent so I can run a wood stove in it this year. I hope I'm finished up now - just groceries, gas and tags remain...

--Mitch
Old school

Postby Tigger » 06 30, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Just ordered a Garmin InReach. New fangled technology so I am for sure gonna shoot an elk this year!
Tigger

Postby Indian Summer » 07 01, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Ummm..... my elk hunting license! After being 1 of only 26 people who didn’t draw a Wyoming general license in the special drawing I just submitted my application for a leftover cow tag. I hope I draw it because I just booked my airfare to go scout the unit.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Lefty » 07 01, 2018 •  [Post 6]

I dont know if i need them, but maybe a few calls
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 01, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Not thinking I need much at this point but need to check my checklist. Gotta get my chow lined up (freeze dried main meals and day snack packs) and some cans of juice for zip oil. Oh, gotta rig up a sleeve and tie down lines for the teepee Stove (Saddlesore gave me some good ideas fir that). Tic toc, it’s getting close.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Fridaythe13th » 07 02, 2018 •  [Post 8]

It's been a busy last 2 weeks. My boots came in, my calls from trav at wipiti and leukotape made it Saturday. I hope that's it. now I just need time to shoot and make a few laps around town.
Fridaythe13th

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Roosiebull » 07 05, 2018 •  [Post 9]

I honestly cannot think of anything I need at this point. Maybe a couple more diaphragms. I am pretty much set I think.
Roosiebull

Postby Beendare » 07 08, 2018 •  [Post 10]

Tigger wrote:Just ordered a Garmin InReach. New fangled technology so I am for sure gonna shoot an elk this year!

just when I thought I couldn't buy another piece of gear.....then ^this comes along.

I might swap out a sat phone rental for this bugger.
“It takes no more time to see the good side of life.... than to see the bad.”
― Jimmy Buffett

"Everybody has a plan....until they get punched in the mouth" Mike Tyson

"
Beendare
Wapiti Hunting Archery Gear/Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 11]

I think I am set,

new tent, check
new stove, check
new light weight chair, check
new light weight cot, check
new light weight pillow, check
new light weight mattress, check.

tent.jpg
tent.jpg (361.55 KiB) Viewed 7291 times

stove and chair.jpg
stove and chair.jpg (277.32 KiB) Viewed 7291 times

pad,pillow.jpg
pad,pillow.jpg (264.37 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Dandy looking setup. I like how you set up the anchor system for your pipe Vince. Don't suppose you've got a close up of it?
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lsb » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 13]

More broadheads
Lsb

Postby saddlesore » 07 12, 2018 •  [Post 14]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Dandy looking setup. I like how you set up the anchor system for your pipe Vince. Don't suppose you've got a close up of it?

I got a stainless steel flex coupler at the plumbing aisle at Home depot for a 3-3.5 " pipe. I put it on the pipe just snug.Then using 3 1/4" tinnerman nuts, I put apiece of 6" hardware chain on the loop of the the tinnerman nut, and used the other end to attach a hook to with blaze orange para cord to it .

I'l take a photo of it tomorrow and post it along with the tinnerman nut and chain.

Thanks for the tips on that gear.It took me awhile today to do the1st tent set up to get everything all adjusted. I had it rain tested today,we had a good thunderstorm this afternoon .I was going to try out the cot/pad etc tonight, but it is still raining
saddlesore

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 15]

I like the look of your setup, saddlesore! those guide lines scare me haha. I see that as a trip hazard for myself.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Tigger » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 16]

Saddlesore, is that your back yard? If so, I am soooo jealous! Very beautiful. gets my blood pumping for the mountains. Do you have deer/elk stroll through once in awhile?

Seems like there is a pretty big gap on the bottom. Do you think you might lose a lot of heat due to that? I have always liked a tent with a floor for some reason. I will be curious to hear your thoughts after you have used it for a fall.
Tigger

Postby saddlesore » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 17]

Tigger, That is out in my small pasture.I have about 3 acres of good grass when I get rain. There remainder of the property is a ponderosa pine forest. I have quite a few deer. In fact too darn many.They are like long legged rats with the damage they do. Not to many elk, but a few resident small herds to the north and west.

The bottom of the tent has what is called a snow flap.I don't have it tied down.You can roll it up in warm weather for more breeze, or stake/weight it down in bad weather.I never cared much for floors in tents.Too much mud or debris tracked in to keep it clean.

Here are some of the buggers , summer and winter.
deer in summer.jpg
deer in summer.jpg (331.75 KiB) Viewed 7277 times

winter deer.jpg
winter deer.jpg (217.04 KiB) Viewed 7277 times
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 18]

Thought I would post these here in case others want to use this method to secure stove pipes.

stove pipe.jpg
stove pipe.jpg (218.6 KiB) Viewed 7277 times

This is flexible coupling that can be bought at HomeDepot or ? in the plumbing dept. This one is 3-3.5" dia.

pipe clamp.jpg
pipe clamp.jpg (210.72 KiB) Viewed 7277 times

tinnerman nut & chain.jpg
tinnerman nut & chain.jpg (272.73 KiB) Viewed 7277 times

This secures the para cord , with a hook to the clamp. A 1/4" tinnerman nut and a 6" piece of chain.Hardware stores call it Jack chain. Wheni nstalling, slide the tinnerman nut over both the coupling and the stove pipe
saddlesore

Postby saddlesore » 07 13, 2018 •  [Post 19]

BrentLaBere wrote:I like the look of your setup, saddlesore! those guide lines scare me haha. I see that as a trip hazard for myself.

I tie lot of orange surveyors tape on them in camp.Hopefully the stove pipe lines will go to trees so they are higher
saddlesore

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 20]

Thanks Vince, that’ll work like a charm? Do you have plans to put a snow/rain cap on the stove pipe?
WapitiTalk1

Postby saddlesore » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 21]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:Thanks Vince, that’ll work like a charm? Do you have plans to put a snow/rain cap on the stove pipe?

I have never done that . Probably won't . The only thing available to burn is pine and that plugs up caps pretty fast
saddlesore

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2018 •  [Post 22]

When I saw Saddlesore's guy-line system, I went out to my shop and got a large hose clamp and cinched it up on the top of my chimney. I also went into a bin and got out a chain like his. It is a really easy system to secure your chimney, and safeguard everything. RJ knows how I ensure my lines are not a trip hazard. Flagging is good, but you can miss it in the dark. Set out boxes where the lines meet the ground. Hanging something over the outside lines, like your camouflage may help too. If night vision is a concern, then a dirty tee shirt could work.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics