Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

That look you get......

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

That look you get......

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 27, 2018 •  [Post 1]

When your new rifle comes in before the long weekend and you're able to get it up, running, and to the range.

Happy.png
Happy.png (158.07 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: That look you get......

Postby Elkduds » 05 27, 2018 •  [Post 2]

WapitiTalk1 wrote:When your new rifle comes in before the long weekend and you're able to get it up, running, and to the range.

The attachment Happy.png is no longer available

Heh, heh, he said get it up, heh, heh.
Attachments
beavis.jpg
beavis.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 27, 2018 •  [Post 3]

Whoops :-0. :).
WapitiTalk1

Postby Elkduds » 05 27, 2018 •  [Post 4]

Do tell: new boomstick, incredible accuracy, CHS (can't hit s#!+), scope mounted backward so everything appears faaaaaaarther away. Tell us the tale, we're bad @ speculating :?:
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 27, 2018 •  [Post 5]

Received the new lead launcher on Thursday (was supposed to get in Wednesday but the FFL on post kind of screwed the pooch). The scope mounting gear came on Friday (thanks to wawhitey for helping order the correct gear for scope work). Friday was an arduous/complete day of drum sanding and re-staining the back deck and several sets of steps at my place and Saturday was 1/2 a day of yard work and some honey do's but "finally" got to work on the new rifle Saturday night. First real attempt at doing a full on scope mount (by the book with the right tools) so I took my time and the project came out pretty darn well. Weaver scope base/rail which the package "said" was for my rifle wasn't quite right so I had to do a bit of modification, Weaver tactical rings went on easily, and a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3-9X40 illuminated reticle scope was secured on top. Did a down and dirty bore sight on the wall (using the old look down the barrel at a spot and adjust the scope reticle so it was close), did a thorough cleaning, and off the range on Sunday morning. I did the rifle barrel break in procedures with this one (although I'm not so sure it really is worth the effort) and adjusted the windage/elevation after each group at a 50 yard target. Once I was getting close, out the target went to 100 yards and shown below was my last two groups at 100 yards on a fresh splatter target (final few clicks on the scope put three rounds in the eyeball of that target). Yep, really happy with the new (new model this year) Savage 110 Lightweight Storm 223 Remington.

110 UL Storm .223.png
110 UL Storm .223.png (521.15 KiB) Viewed 4260 times

Storm at Range.png
Storm at Range.png (415.45 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 6]

Right on, tight little groups. Glad its shooting well.
Attachments
Jake being sassy-500x751.jpg
Jake being sassy-500x751.jpg (158.66 KiB) Viewed 4246 times
Real eyes realize real lies
wawhitey

Postby Lsb » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 7]

Good shooting there WT, those little savages are shooters. I've got a couple. I got my new one out yesterday too. Winchester XPR 338 win mag, 26" barrel. Went with Leupold dove tail bases and rings, I lapped them before I mounted a vortex viper 6.5-20x44 deadhold bdc reticle, 30 mil tube. First box of two and clean two and clean got it pretty close. Then walked it out to 550. Prone off my bipod I'm holding 8" group. Then to play I set clay pigeons on the 550 birm, if I wasn't busting them I was making them jump. Imo the shooting in of the barrel is important. If nothing else you learn the gun.
Lsb

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 8]

Was wondering if you had your XPR out yet Lsb. Sweet elk set up for sure! Wish I could find a place to shoot out farther than 300 yards just to play around at longer ranges with my rifles. I like the clay pigeon idea!
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lsb » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 9]

We've got 4 trap houses at the range so you just go pick up the ones they missed and set them up
Lsb

Postby wawhitey » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 10]

:mrgreen:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Was wondering if you had your XPR out yet Lsb. Sweet elk set up for sure! Wish I could find a place to shoot out farther than 300 yards just to play around at longer ranges with my rifles. I like the clay pigeon idea!

Gotcha covered out to 1300 if youre ever in the area. Btw, curious what ammo youre shhoting through that thing?
wawhitey

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 11]

wawhitey wrote::mrgreen:
WapitiTalk1 wrote:Was wondering if you had your XPR out yet Lsb. Sweet elk set up for sure! Wish I could find a place to shoot out farther than 300 yards just to play around at longer ranges with my rifles. I like the clay pigeon idea!

Gotcha covered out to 1300 if you're ever in the area. Btw, curious what ammo you're shooting through that thing?

Yes sir, if I make it across the high plains I'll certainly take you up on your offer. Used Underwood Ammo 223 Remington 55 Grain Hornady V-Max for the new savage this time around. I'll probably try some other stuff down the road but maybe not ;)
WapitiTalk1

Postby wawhitey » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 12]

If youre shooting little cloverleafs like that, no need to try other ammo, imo.
wawhitey

Postby Roosiebull » 05 28, 2018 •  [Post 13]

wawhitey wrote:If youre shooting little cloverleafs like that, no need to try other ammo, imo.

agreed!

.... and Rory, congrats on a new rifle! especially one that does that!
Roosiebull

Postby Lefty » 05 30, 2018 •  [Post 14]

wawhitey wrote:If youre shooting little cloverleafs like that, no need to try other ammo, imo.

Unless that was at 20 yards :twisted:

Looking good. I could live with groups lke that from most guns
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H